The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Debunking The Roberto Luongo Myths

JustNazzy

Really? Interesting that you didn't mention ANYTHING BUT STATS in your first reply then isn't it?

Pity that your "knowledge" is nothing more than posturing.

EDIT: And I agree Bulin was better that game. That doesn't mean he was better in the entire series. And if you don't understand that a TEAM can lose a series without it being the fault of the goalie being the worse goalie, you might want to watch a few more games yourself.

Who said anything about being the fault of Luongo? It wasn't his fault they lost the series. So he was the better goalie because he faced 30 more shots, is that what you are saying? I went through the first four games and there is no way you can claim that. Both goalies were equal and up to the task. Bulin ended up going on so he get's the edge. How about they are equal, does that make you happy?

That's because only an idiot would think you can answer whether or not Cory actually will be a better goalie than Luo at this point in his career when he hasn't even had a single full season as a starter and has only one playoff win under his belt. You can compare individual seasons but Cory's career isn't sufficient enough to compare to Luo's, no matter how much you personally loathe Luo.

and..the question was...is better now...not will be....how often have YOU told people to go back and read...come on stats lady...quote the existing stats...who is currently better. I'll use your argument you used vs Westcoast,,,,Schneider faced more shots each season than Lou, had much better SP and GAA.....as you said earlier..the stats don't lie.

To answer the part you added after my original reply...

My argument was that Luo was better in that series. I've already said Cory was better in the last regular season, which thus far is the only regular season Cory has faced more shots than Luo.

If you mean in the playoffs, Cory's only faced more shots in the last 2 years when they split the series. Last year, Cory was absolutely the better Canuck goalie in that series. This year, Cory did face 4 more shots than Luo and made one more save (thanks to the 13 shots he faced in Game 4 OT.) He also gave up 3 more goals and was pulled in Game 3. Neither Cory's SV% nor GAA were better this year. Not even close.

So, to recap. Cory was the better goaltender in the 11/12 playoffs and the better goaltender in the 12/13 regular season. Luo was the better goalie in the 12/13 playoffs. Yet again, Cory's career is still not sufficient enough to adequately compare him to Luo. Luo's faced more shots in the past 3 years than Cory's faced in his entire NHL career. (In fact, Luo faced only 587 fewer shots in the last 2 years alone, even with the shortened season as a backup, than Cory's faced in his entire NHL career.)

Lu's sv% and GAA this season ranked 25th and 30th respectively, and that's when he's on the best team in the league. Interestingly enough, Luongo's .919 sv% this year (ranked 25th overall) is equal to the OP's quoted career sv%, which was his reason why Luongo is supposedly an elite goalie...you might say the game has changed since the days of Patrick Roy.

Poetica i'm not going to argue with you on the series cuz I haven't watched those games since we played them. Stats yes can be very helpful when it comes to a starting point like you mentioned, but to declare someone the better goalie by simply only using stats doesn't actually give a good conclusion on who was better.

If goalie A get 15 shots and stops all 15 his SV% is 1.00

If goalie B get 50 shots and lets in 2 goals his SV% is .96

Goalie A has the better SV % and GAA but does that mean he was the better of the two? No

Then you have to look at the what types of shots the goalie is facing. If goalie B got 50 shots from the blue line with zero traffic in front of him while goalie B gets 15 shots that are all high scoring opportunities who's the better goalie now?

The thing about goaltending is it isn't so easily based on stats. When comparing two goalies on a giving night you have to look at which goalie gave his team the best opportunity to win.

If you can remember back to the game Schneider played against CHI where we lost in OT. Cory stood on his head, canucks gave up so many opportunities and he was their most of the night bailing out his team mates. We ended up losing in OT. But if you compare that game to a game he played against say calgary where the canucks won 5-1. Cory faced 34 shots stoping all but 1. He put up a save % of .971, His stats clearly are better in the 5-1 game against calgary... but if you were to watch the games you'd know that he played way better in the 4-3 loss to CHI. There are to many factors besides stats that come into play when comparing goalies. It's why stats simply don't show the whole story.

Like you said stats are a starting point. That is all, you can't make full on conclusion based on stats.

That is all I had to say. you two can go back about arguing on a series that is ancient history.

Honestly I think I dislike the hardcore Lu-fans more than I dislike Lu himself. Lu seems like an easy-going fun-loving kinda guy, his fans on the other hand seem like a bunch of obsessive lunatics who only seem to think about '2 shutouts in the SCF' and a bunch of his other "accomplishments" which have become more like catchphrases on this forum, while ignoring just about all of his shortcomings.

The guy is a good goalie. He can be counted on more often than not during the regular season. He is enigmatic during the playoffs.

Again, as a deservedly branded Lu-hater I would like to say that I dont actually hate the guy as a person or a player. I for one have just lost faith in him during the playoffs. The postseason Luongo rollercoaster has fried my nerves.

Archived