The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olympics 2012: Missiles Deployed In London Park

key2thecup

Missiles deployed in London park

416_cp24_olympics_security_120503.jpg

British military chiefs said they hoped the deployment of surface-to-air missiles in a London park Thursday would "allay people's fears" as the armed forces geared up for the 2012 Olympic Games.

The Rapier and smaller high-velocity missiles were deployed as part of Exercise Olympic Guardian, a nine-day training operation to test the response to a possible attack during the Games.

The missiles were shown off in Blackheath, southeast London, on high ground overlooking Greenwich Park, where the equestrian events will be held, and the steel-and-glass towers of the Canary Wharf financial services district.

The military hardware caught the attention of passing dog walkers on the common.

Colonel Jon Campbell, commander of the Joint Ground Based Air Defence, said: "We have done as much as we can to allay people's fears.

"The Rapier system has a world-class radar on it and is particularly good at picking up low and slow-moving objects in the sky.

"It means we're able to get the very best picture of what is happening in the skies of London."

The London Games run from July 27 to August 12.

Air Vice Marshal Stuart Atha said there was no specific threat to the Olympics, but that system aimed to "detect at the earliest possible stage a range of potential airborne threats".

"What we would also hope is that we would also deter anyone who had malign intent for the Olympics," he added.

"We want the focus to be on Usain Bolt this summer and not us."

Blackheath Common -- where the annual London Marathon begins -- is one of four planned sites around London for Rapier deployment.

As part of the training exercise, Typhoon fighter jets are stationed near the capital, along with military helicopters and the amphibious assault ship HMS Ocean.

Meanwhile three sports test events got under way Thursday: water polo and wheelchair tennis on the Olympic Park and Paralympic archery at the Royal Artillery Barracks.

The hockey competitions, featuring top international sides, were into their second day.

http://ca.news.yahoo...--olympics.html

I will bet you that Al-Qaeda and company are laughing their asses off at this. Hijacking a plane is both extremely unlikely and difficult now with all the extra security since 911. Cockpits are sealed and passengers know better that the terrorists only want to commit suicide.

If there is an attack, it will likely be on the ground with a rampaging shooter or a suicide bomber because its much easier. Having surface to air missiles is both a stupid waste of money and an unnecessary risk to civilians.

I will bet you that Al-Qaeda and company are laughing their asses off at this. Hijacking a plane is both extremely unlikely and difficult now with all the extra security since 911. Cockpits are sealed and passengers know better that the terrorists only want to commit suicide.

If there is an attack, it will likely be on the ground with a rampaging shooter or a suicide bomber because its much easier. Having surface to air missiles is both a stupid waste of money and an unnecessary risk to civilians.

You seriously think that a plane could be hijacked with all the security that is in place? They already have fighter jets nearby ready to be scrambled in the extremely unlikely scenario of a hijacking. This is just going overboard.

I didn't know any terrorist group had such capability inside the UK. If they do, I am surprised they haven't tried attacking something much more iconic and when the country is not high alert. Most of the attacks in the west have been when they are least expecting it. If they had cruise missiles, I am thinking they would have probably attacked the British parliament or Buckingham Palace on a regular day.

Why is that every year the security measures become increasingly excessive and militaristic?

There have been five Olympic games, four of which were in Western countries since 911 and all have had successful without such excessive firepower. Now Al-Qaeda's strength is scattered, divided and much weaker than on 911. I am glad I am not a British citizen and have to pay for this. I would have been pissed if they had something this excessive in Vancouver. The authorities in charge of 2010 Olympic security were much more wise and intelligent than to use such excessive measures.

Archived