The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Words Fail Me

Buddhas Hand

Parents want gay penguin book banned from library shelves

by J.D. Griffioen (Subscribe to J.D. Griffioen's posts)

Nov 18th 2006 6:00PM

20Comments

Filed under: Preschoolers, Big Kids, Gay Parenting, Media, Day Care & Education, That's Entertainment

penguintango.jpgSeven months after some uptight parents first got upset about their library carrying a children's book about real-life homosexual penguins, another group of parents are following suit. Parents in Shiloh, Illinois want the book banned from the local elementary school library, because they say it has gay "undertones." Yo, Shiloh, gay penguins are gay penguins. Those aren't "undertones."

The book, titled "And Tango Makes Three," tells the true story of Roy and Silo, two male penguins from a New York zoo who are a couple. Apparently they adopted a baby named Tango after it was abandoned by its hetero parents, despite the outcry from the local fundamentalist Christian penguin community, who tried to have laws passed to prevent gay penguins from adopting children. So that may not have happened in real life. I just made it up, actually. The gay penguins did adopt a baby who had been abandoned, but they did so without so much as a peep from the other penguins. I guess birds are just too stupid to be homophobic. The book was written by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson and illustrated by Henry Cole.

As a concession, the Shiloh parents at least want to "move the book to the library's regular shelves and restrict it to a section for mature issues, perhaps even requiring parental permission before a child can check it out." I guess there's just to much hot penguin-on-penguin parenting action for the book not to be kept in the "mature" section. School district Superintendent Jennifer Filyaw and the district's attorney are examining options for what they might do with the book. They would like to avoid all-out censorship. "My feeling is that a library is to serve an entire population," Filyaw said. "It means you represent different families in a society - different religions, different beliefs.

God forbid children read a story about real-life gay penguins! I mean, there are things you have to protect your kids from, not just words like "gay," but concepts like "gay." Their delicate little minds just can't handle such things. Besides, there's no better way to destroy a kid's curiosity in something than to have school board meetings discussing banning such books from the library and talking on and on about how bad it is to expose children to things that are gay. Gay! Gay! Gay

now is not the right time to be sober .

do you all now feel a little superior ?

my computer skils are poor , i have just learned to cut and paste, and due to my pathetic skills could not copy the article the way i wanted . i hope you all left feeling you are that much better than me .

you know i thought some one might be interested but obviously i was wrong , and i did not know their was rules on the timelines of things you can post , you people that replied in the negative are pathetic .

do you all now feel a little superior ?

my computer skils are poor , i have just learned to cut and paste, and due to my pathetic skills could not copy the article the way i wanted . i hope you all left feeling you are that much better than me .

you know i thought some one might be interested but obviously i was wrong , and i did not know their was rules on the timelines of things you can post , you people that replied in the negative are pathetic .

No worries puck. We've all failed on cdc at one time or another. I posted a link to a hate site by accident not that long ago, so I know where your coming from. Maybe check up and see what's happened since. I agree with the context of your post. The OMG, the children syndrome is still alive and confusing kids everywhere today.

No worries puck. We've all failed on cdc at one time or another. I posted a link to a hate site by accident not that long ago, so I know where your coming from. Maybe check up and see what's happened since. I agree with the context of your post. The OMG, the children syndrome is still alive and confusing kids everywhere today.

here you go mate the is the most up to date information on this that i can find

Why do gay penguins make people so mad? 'Tango' tops banned books list -- again.

April 12, 2011 | 2:30pm

It's just an orphan penguin with two daddies. Why can't people let it alone?

Once again, "And Tango Makes Three," the award-winning children's book, has topped the American Library Assn.'s list of most frequently challenged books, announced Monday. "And Tango Makes Three" tells the true story of two emperor penguins at New York's Central Park Zoo who hatched and parented a baby chick. What about the book has gotten feathers ruffled? The emperor penguins were both male.

Written by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson and illustrated by Henry Cole, "And Tango Makes Three" has spent five years on the most-challenged list. For 2010 it again took the top spot. The library association writes that objections to the book include it being deemed "unsuited for age group." "Religious viewpoint" and "homosexuality" have also been cited as reasons for challenging the book.

Other books that appear on the 2010 list are "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley, "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian" by Sherman Alexie, "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins and Stephenie Meyer’s "Twilight." The complete top 10 -- and the chief objections to them -- is after the jump.

1. "And Tango Makes Three" by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson

Reasons: Homosexuality, religious viewpoint, unsuited to age group

Archived