#1 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

POPULAR

I see everyone on here saying how Edler is going to win a norris soon and how he's so good.

I don't think he has the hockey smarts, or vision to become elite, (he can make some nice passes, but

most players in the NHL should be able to do that) he scares me as much as Bieksa in

his own end sometimes, sure hes a good d-man and he has the potential to become a top pairing d-man,

but whoever thinks he's going to become like a Shea Weber... not going to happen.

It would be different if he saw the game the same as Lidstrom and other elite d-man and his physical

tools were still developing but it's more like the other way around.

I say we ship him off with Luongo if we can, and get a real number one d-man back.

Once Edler gets his raise I'm worried he won't develop any further and just stay the same level....

This team needs a shakeup, especially if AV is here to stay.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

POPULAR

Edler really showed me how badly he can suck in pressure situations this year. The guy has supposed to be the next Lidstrom for like the past 2 seasons. I don't see a Lidstrom out there, I see a nervous, hesitant, poor defenseman.

I would love for him to stay and prove me wrong. He's a fan favourite, everyone loves the guy. I have a jersey of him because he's simply that legit. But i also had a Hodgson jersey, so that doesn't really make much of a difference. He's shown he can play well and log huge minutes, but I guess inconsistency is his problem. He collapsed in the LA series, and I honestly believe he was the reason we lost Game 1 and 2.

If we can get a Weber/Suter for him, then i'm all in. If he stays, sweet. Hopefully he can show the world how good he can really be.

Edited by Ares, 15 May 2012 - 05:58 PM.

Posted Image

#3 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

POPULAR

I quit reading when the Bieksa rhetoric started.

#4 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

POPULAR

Edler's poor play could also fall on the fact that AV changed the pairings for no apparent reason with about a month to go in the regular season. I have no idea why he would split up Hamhuis and Bieksa along with Edler and Salo. He then puts Tanev with Hamhuis, and Edler with Bieksa. That is two of the worst pairings I've ever seen. Why $crew with the chemistry right before the playoffs? Just another bonehead move by AV.

Edited by JeffTambo10, 15 May 2012 - 06:05 PM.

Posted Image

#5 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

POPULAR

edler's playoffs performance was unacceptable. :sadno:
Posted Image

CDC FL - St. Louis Blues GM Posted Image

Via Tinychat - kaz: KJ > Spoder (Dec 27/13 @10:41pm)

#6 Radaloo

Radaloo

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

I see everyone on here saying how Edler is going to win a norris soon and how he's so good.

I don't think he has the hockey smarts, or vision to become elite, (he can make some nice passes, but

most players in the NHL should be able to do that) he scares me as much as Bieksa in

his own end sometimes, sure hes a good d-man and he has the potential to become a top pairing d-man,

but whoever thinks he's going to become like a Shea Weber... not going to happen.

It would be different if he saw the game the same as Lidstrom and other elite d-man and his physical

I say we ship him off with Luongo if we can, and get a real number one d-man back.

Once Edler gets his raise I'm worried he won't develop any further and just stay the same level....

Couldn't agree with you more. Way over-rated. A number 3 at best. Has the tools, but not the brain (not saying he is not smart, just not NHL smart)

#7 Radaloo

Radaloo

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

POPULAR

The other Canuck's defenseman that is way over-rated. They are both NHL quality, but not elite, or even really good. Bieksa is also a number 3 at best.

#8 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

POPULAR

This is why I hate Canucks fans. Always finding different players to take a crap on every week.
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#9 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

So Edler has one bad playoffs and we want him gone? Might as trade Kesl--- oh wait, never mind..

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#10 Radaloo

Radaloo

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

POPULAR

This is why I hate Canucks fans. Always finding different players to take a crap on every week.

So................just be a cheerleader? Besides, not crapping on every player......just Edler, Bieksa, Raymond & Malhotra. Just the ones that are over-rated and overpaid. (I'll cut Manny some slack because of the injury).

#11 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,436 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

He really needs to learn his strong points and excel at those. He's so good when he's physical, and everyone says it...yet whenever he has a great physical game he doesn't follow suit with the next game.

Posted Image
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

#12 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

Edler's poor play could also fall on the fact that AV changed the pairings .

What a load of crap that is.  When he played as poorly as he did, blaming it on who he was or wasn't playing with is plain stupid. If he is truly an elite talent (and that's laughable in itself), he should be able to elevate the play of whoever he is partnered with, not fall apart himself.

Edited by dorrcoq, 15 May 2012 - 06:54 PM.

#13 questforthecup

questforthecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

POPULAR

Wasn't there a thread where everybody was saying edler is underpaid?

He's not getting paid $7 mil so why compare him to someone that is?

He was an all-star this year and almost had 50 points.

Everybody was saying how good this guy was all season. He had a few bad games and now all of a sudden he sucks and we should trade him? Unbelievable

#14 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,841 posts

What a load of crap that is. When he played as poorly as he did, blaming it on who he was or wasn't playing with is plain stupid.

He was amazing and put up 40+ points playing Salo. He played like crap when he played with Juice.
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#15 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Everyone goes through slumping seasons... Sedins weren't like themselves this year, Kesler wasn't even around.. Edler wasn't himself

next year they will all come recharged and you'll be eating your words.

you can't give up on the player just because he has an offseason (one off season)

people still want raymond to stick around and that guy has had an off season every year.

#16 Pyrene

Pyrene

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

He has a back injury I believe. Everyone let's jump on Edler's back because he of his poor performance! (pun intended).

#17 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,339 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

POPULAR

God you people are so quick to turn on players, it's pathetic.

Is Edler's game perfect? Of course not. But there's still tons of time for him to grow. In case you haven't realized, he's still developing.

I'll say it again, Niklas Lidstrom didn't win his first Norris until he was 31. It takes a long time for defenceman to fully develop.

It's too bad Ohlund had to go, because it seemed to me Edler was develping really well under his wing. If we can get another veteran D-man to help him develop further that would help big time.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#18 geebster

geebster

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

So................just be a cheerleader? Besides, not crapping on every player......just Edler, Bieksa, Raymond & Malhotra. Just the ones that are over-rated and overpaid. (I'll cut Manny some slack because of the injury).

Err Raymond had a serious injury as well and missed more time than Malhotra. Might as well cut him slack if that's your line of thinking.

#19 canIcrytoo

canIcrytoo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

His highest point total of his career this season, most goals he has ever scored. 7th in the league in points for D men, tied with Weber. Not his best defensive season. But ya he totally sucks right, its a shame his poor playoff play this season has branded him so easily from the great almighty expectations some Vancouver fans have.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you

Posted Image

#20 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

Make all the 'Raymond, Ballard, Rome have to go' threads you guys want, but moving either Edler or Kesler would be a massive mistake. CDC will rue the day either of those 2 are moved.

Edited by nuckin_futz, 15 May 2012 - 07:59 PM.

#21 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

He's 26 lol, still room to grow..

It's amazing how he does great all year, but accidently dumps a puck BARELY out of play, and now he MUST be traded. He's probably been our best defencemen all year.
Posted Image

#22 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,390 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

if only Nonis shipped out kesler, Edler and Schnedier for Richards we wouldn't have this thread... :bigblush:

#23 pomorick

pomorick

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

Edler has been a very good defenseman for the Canucks since arriving here. This year he and Hamhuis were our best defensemen.He has played very well in the playoffs before and will again.
The Cup run last year drained the physical and emotional energy from the Canucks and Bruins. Going out in the first round means a longer summer to rest and heal.
Edler, Kesler, Hamhuis and Raymond all were damaged goods this season. Hopefully next seasonthey are back to 100 %.

Edited by pomorick, 15 May 2012 - 08:15 PM.

#24 InSoM-

InSoM-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

POPULAR

Respect your Edlers

Edited by InSoM-, 15 May 2012 - 08:16 PM.

Posted Image
X-360 Gamertag: InSoMnIaK604

NHL 12 Sim League Boston Bruins GM
VHL Montreal Canadiens GM

#25 Radaloo

Radaloo

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

Err Raymond had a serious injury as well and missed more time than Malhotra. Might as well cut him slack if that's your line of thinking.

Raymond wasn't producing before he was injured. His injury didn't change his game the way Manny's did. Raymond had one good year and got a 2.5 million dollar contract for it. Overpaid.

#26 Radaloo

Radaloo

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

He's 26 lol, still room to grow..

It's amazing how he does great all year, but accidently dumps a puck BARELY out of play, and now he MUST be traded. He's probably been our best defencemen all year.

What!?!? Our best defenceman all year? Did you watch him? Sure he made some offensive contributions, but he was not very good defensively. He was a zero in the plus/minus column. Hamhuis was plus 29. No, he was not our best defenceman, not even close. I'm not saying he has to go. There is still a possibility that he could one day be a top two d-man, but people, stop over-rating him.

#27 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

So Edler has one bad playoffs and we want him gone? Might as trade Kesl--- oh wait, never mind..

Might as well trade CoHo
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#28 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

What a load of crap that is.  When he played as poorly as he did, blaming it on who he was or wasn't playing with is plain stupid. If he is truly an elite talent (and that's laughable in itself), he should be able to elevate the play of whoever he is partnered with, not fall apart himself.

Load of crap? I'm sure Keith is not as dominant as he is without Seabrook. I'm sure Weber isn't the same without Suter. It's not just about the player itself sometimes, it depends with who you play with and the chemistry you developed with that player.

Edler was a tank in playoffs prior to this one, so I don't see why he couldn't have done it this year. AV is not to blame totally, but partially for sure.
Posted Image

#29 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

Edler is full of potential. Remember, Lidstrom didn't win his first Norris until he was 31 years old; Edler is only 26. Edler makes some great passes, like a lot of defensemen, but make no mistake, not that many can pass well.

It also bugs me how everyone gets on about Edler's bad defensive mistakes, but never compliment his great defensive plays.
Despite the fact that Edler makes a fair amount of mistakes in his own end, he makes up for it with many great defensive plays that have saved many goals against.

Watch this video for an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw-JoZWVTuw

Whether he'll ever be as good as Shea Weber, it's hard to see yet, but it's hard to deny his crazy high potential. He does play in a similar style to Weber, which is why you see so many comparisons to him. They are both big, have big shots, and have huge hits.

He's got an incredibly powerful shot, that is a rather hidden gem in the league. Some say his shot is inaccurate, and while this may be true, he's got time to work on accuracy. Look at Salo, his shot wasn't at its best until his 30's, and Edler can shoot it even harder than him.

There's a reason Edler was chosen as our best defenseman this year. He will grow. Give him time and he'll become our star defenseman.

Edited by ajhockey, 15 May 2012 - 08:41 PM.

We are all Canucks

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!
"I'll play on one leg, I don't care" - Ryan Kesler
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#30 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

I thought Edler was having his best season yet for the first 3 quarters of the season while playing with Salo. I have no idea why AV even put him with Bieksa tbh. With Salo's game and career on the decline we need to find Edler a defensively reliable D partner, it will do wonders for his game.

Edited by ButterBean, 15 May 2012 - 11:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.