The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's The Chances Booth, Ballard And Luongo Get Traded (Not All To The Same Team)?

Italia2006

It would be kind of nice to trade all three. The only one I kind of interested in keeping is Ballard. I still believe he can be that offensive guy we where hoping to get. He showed signs of it in the playoffs.

I just don't see Booth paning out with Kesler and all that bear stuff and we all know about Luongo.

Haven't you heard? The Coyotes are moving to a small BC town populated by bears. They will form the new hockey team, and will open the season against the Canucks. They have already spoken out against David Booth and his hunting.   :emot-parrot:

Calm down, bleeding hearts. David Booth will be a 30+ goal scorer next year, despite this "bear stuff"...

Haven't you heard? The Coyotes are moving to a small BC town populated by bears. They will form the new hockey team, and will open the season against the Canucks. They have already spoken out against David Booth and his hunting. :emot-parrot:

Calm down, bleeding hearts. David Booth will be a 30+ goal scorer next year, despite this "bear stuff"...

He had 1 point. That's the same amount of points as Burrows, Bieksa, Booth and more points than Salo and Higgins.I'm not saying he's a Karlson but he was one of our better d guys this playoffs.

Booth---A moveable piece if Gillis actually chose to trade him. Won't happen this offseason imo because he

really didn't have all that bad of a year considering he had to start out with a new team and was hampered by

injuries, and he was playing with linemates who weren't exactly firing on all cylinders.

Ballard---He's not going anywere. Not because Gillis won't want to move him but because no GM in their right

mind will take him right now. He's got a big cap hit and he's signed for, what, the next 3 years? He hasn't

shown anything to justify his contract so his trade value is nonexistant. The only thing that can really be done

with him is to play him again next year and hope he returns to form.

Luongo---He's moveable, but its going to be tough. I still think people who are hoping for a top 10 pick or an

impact player are dreaming. I'm thinking something more along the lines of a second round pick would be a

good return for Lu.

Booth---A moveable piece if Gillis actually chose to trade him. Won't happen this offseason imo because he

really didn't have all that bad of a year considering he had to start out with a new team and was hampered by

injuries, and he was playing with linemates who weren't exactly firing on all cylinders.

Ballard---He's not going anywere. Not because Gillis won't want to move him but because no GM in their right

mind will take him right now. He's got a big cap hit and he's signed for, what, the next 3 years? He hasn't

shown anything to justify his contract so his trade value is nonexistant. The only thing that can really be done

with him is to play him again next year and hope he returns to form.

Luongo---He's moveable, but its going to be tough. I still think people who are hoping for a top 10 pick or an

impact player are dreaming. I'm thinking something more along the lines of a second round pick would be a

good return for Lu.

The only player that possibly and probably will get traded is Luongo. No questions asked, anyone that doesn't see that is blind. Both Booth and Ballard have played great despite the consequences. It's a no brainer that the Canucks would keep Schneider over Luongo, as Luongo wouldn't want to be a back up and is willing to waive his no trade clause. I doubt they can sign both again.

To paraphrase Tolkein, "It was a trade that grew in the selling..."

Assets which seem to be commonly accepted as what Gillis would like to acquire this off-season. These assets could come via free agency or trade. :

a.) top-6 winger (first or second line);

b,) at least a top-4 (if not a top-2) d-man;

c.) restocking the cupboard with picks and prospects;

d.) seeing if there is anyone to supplement the bottom-6.

If Gillis can't come to an agreement on what is fair value for just Luongo, he may offer an additional player (or two) to get back a larger or better return. Ballard and/or Booth could be two of the guys who go with Luongo. For example: Gillis gets TB to give up Purcell, Malone, Garon and Aulie (and maybe a swap of picks) for Luongo, Booth and Ballard. (No it won't happen, this is just for demonstration).

On the other hand, if Gillis obtains a quality free agent, it could mean the either Booth or Ballard would be expendable. For example, if Gillis did sign Suter (or Weber or Garrison, or...) Ballard would be expendable, especially if Salo does come back to play bottom 6 minutes.

If Gillis did manage to sign Parise, then there is a good chance that Booth would be moved.

The key to the whole thing is who gets moved in the assumed goalie trade. That will define what Gillis has left on his to do list.

regards,

G.

Archived