The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Worst Case Scenario: What Does The Team Do If Cory Turns Out Like Steve Mason?

jonnycanuck46

It s not his technique or his talent that worry me.. He has the whole package .

What management knows and worries about is that he doesn t end up being another Di Pietro.

Schneider has a serious problem with cramps when he plays a lot of hockey.

When he gets these bad cramps he can barely walk like against Chicago last year.

Mason was rushed up...he isn't a wash yet, but he certainly needs a change of venue, and time to mature. Dipietro is a bit of a head case that was rushed up too..

...I think cory is a great future goalie, but with less than 70 NHL games, I would not give him the reigns right now...look at Reimer in Toronto..too young to be number one, no matter how talented he is.

P.S. ONce again, I find myself agreeing almost entirely with Jester, aside from the name calling..lol

In hockey there are many roles to be played dependant upon the structure and chemistry of any given team. First line centers very rarely ever start their career as fourth line centers and work their way up. A player has a natural talent or ability to slot into a team's structure. Such is rarely the case with goaltenders. Certainly goalies have the same type of pedigree or composition (Starters are starters and backups are backups). But they need to be brought along and exposed to the game at a different speed and method than other positional players. Even a backup is technically a starter when he gets tapped to start that night. So the question is never whether a goalie can be a starter in the NHL, it's whether he can start night in night out on a regular basis without the eventual breakdown. Cory has proved himself at the AHL level to possess the mental toughness to start each game, and excel. What more of a measuring stick do we need? He has showed the 2 things needed: the skills and the mental toughness. He deserves his shot WITH the team that has brought through that testing process.

This is what I find to be ridiculous on CDC. Even if Schneider fails, the general reaction is, "oh well, too bad it didn't work out"?

It is definitely possible that Schneider may fail once given the big job. He already knows what it's like to be a Canuck goaltender and he's already had a bad game at the end of his first stretch of games.

There is no evidence that proves either or, but at this point there is no evidence that he will become like Luongo or better. If Schneider fails then I will forever include in my sig that it was a mistake to trade Luongo and that we're not winning the Cup unless we miraculously pick up a star for no cost.

Cory was brought up slowly through the ranks of college and minor league hockey. he has had two seasons as a back up goalie and has shown us elite level skill his whole career. Mason was rushed and plays in Columbus and also benefited from having a break out year the only year that the team has ever been able to make the playoffs. Corey will be a stellar goalie in this league for a decade, as good as Lou would be my guess. No matter what happens with our Goalies the Canucks are going to come out fierce with the nice long break, and some needed time to heal for guys like Danny Sedin, Kes, Booth, Ballard and the handful of other guys coming off or playing with injuries before the playoffs.

I think there are a ton of things to consider why Schneider will not end up like Mason.

1. Steve Mason is 23 years old, unlike Schneider who is 26. Mason still has room to grow.

2. Mason was a 3rd round pick. Schneider was a 1st round pick. When Mason had his breakout rookie season there wasn't too much expectations on him to produce but that pressure may have gotten to him afterwards.

3. Schneider has a much better team overall playing in front of him unlike Mason.

I don't think there should be any concern whatsoever for Schneider. If worst case scenario happens, we sign a veteran back up or give Eddie Lack a crack at it.

there is a possibility that could happen. But if you have to take a chance, Cory is our guy. Younger, cheaper and more fundamentally sound. Seems like a great guy in our locker room. You can go far in this league without taking chances and keep Cory in our lineup is a chance i would DEFINITELY TAKE.

One insteresting argument against Schnieder is he has never played as a starting goalie so he may not be able to hanlde the work load. If that's true, then no goalies in the league would be a starting goalie because none of them had palyed a starting goalie before they did for the first time. :rolleyes:

The word "once" in this context doesn't imply someone knows something is a reality.

e.g. "I'll have a great dinner once my wife returns with the groceries."

Once in this context denotes the speaker expects something to be so, not that the speaker thinks something is a reality set in stone. The wife could very well get stuck in traffic and I could end up with no dinner, etc.

This. At some point you have to look at his performance and say "He's earned a starting role. If he doesn't get it here, he'll get it elsewhere. Do we want to keep him in that role?"

It's not an easy choice. Obviously there is the risk that he turns into a bust, but there is also a risk that Luongo has a horrible season. Either one seems about as likely to me.

these 2 scenarios are uncomparable. cory schneider has been brought along as slowly as a goalie can be, and he's passed every test. he's gonna be or already is 26 years old I think so his time has come for whoever he ends up playing for. Steve Mason was brought in I'm pretty sure because the team was having a really bad problem at the time with healthy goalies, and Steve came in on an emergency basis and obviously ended up doing something special, and it hasnt translated into future success. schneider has played college, ahl, and nhl, and has proven himself over the course of multiple seasons in each league, which is something that mason never had to do. Also, Schneider has the added benefit of playing for a great team, with a deep defence who will make him look at times, whereas Mason has pretty much been hung out to dry his entire career.

Archived