The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Worst Case Scenario: What Does The Team Do If Cory Turns Out Like Steve Mason?

jonnycanuck46

It sure would be nice to read a positive post once every now and then. All these negative posts are getting evryone down......fire AV, MG is a moron, Luongo's value just went down, AV just destroyed any bargaing power that MG had, we will never win a Cup with Luongo, Schneider is unproven and will probably choke when he has to be the #1 guy, Kesler has a bad attitude, Kesler is useless, Kesler has worn out his welcome, the Sedin's are past their prime......cmon CDC....the newpapers are bad enough without us trashing the team too.

Think positive...we have 2 really good goalies. When one is traded MG will upgrade either at forward or defense as well as the possibility of getting another 1st rnd pick in the draft.. We have a luxury of having a good backup goalie in Lack so we don't have to sweat this one.

Kesler has had successful surgery and will be better than the last 2 seasons. He has a long offseason to heal. Kesler is a competitor and it is MG's job to find him the right wingers to make the line better.

Jensen is looking like the full meal deal so the future is bright.

Salo gets another long break to heal his body and can maybe come back for another year and stay relatively healthy

The glass is half full, lets savor it.

The word "once" in this context doesn't imply someone knows something is a reality.

e.g. "I'll have a great dinner once my wife returns with the groceries."

Once in this context denotes the speaker expects something to be so, not that the speaker thinks something is a reality set in stone. The wife could very well get stuck in traffic and I could end up with no dinner, etc.

Schneider only playing 6 playoff teams in the regular season and going .500 against them, and then beign under that for the playoffs is a little worrisome to me. People say he was the best thing ever, and deserves all the praise, and isn't sheltered at all.. but really, he played more playoff teams the year before last, and he still only went .500 against them.

He looks very solid and all, but like I said, it's just worrisome of his lack of games against playoff teams, and the fact he hasn't done well against them on top of it.

I mean, out of those playoff teams he had this year.. 3 of them ended very badly, specifically Nashville and Chicago whippings. He had a good game against Boston, but.. that's 3 bad games, of only 6 playoff teams, and he had more his previous year.. and still was only .500 both years.

If that follows through when he becomes starter that's honestly not going to end well.

Even more to the point, now that Lou has turned into Lou, what does the team do? We have made an enormous financial commitment to a guy who who has repeatedly shown us that he can't get us there. Now, he is not even our best goalie. If he was, this controversy would not exist.

This is what I find to be ridiculous on CDC. Even if Schneider fails, the general reaction is, "oh well, too bad it didn't work out"?

It is definitely possible that Schneider may fail once given the big job. He already knows what it's like to be a Canuck goaltender and he's already had a bad game at the end of his first stretch of games.

There is no evidence that proves either or, but at this point there is no evidence that he will become like Luongo or better. If Schneider fails then I will forever include in my sig that it was a mistake to trade Luongo and that we're not winning the Cup unless we miraculously pick up a star for no cost.

Even more to the point, now that Lou has turned into Lou, what does the team do? We have made an enormous financial commitment to a guy who who has repeatedly shown us that he can't get us there. Now, he is not even our best goalie. If he was, this controversy would not exist.

Lou gave up 7 goals in 2 playoff games, 3 of the goals were stinkers !! Lou did not shut the door and give the team a chance,. The team decided to play their best goalie in game 3,4 and 5 . Take off your rose coloured Lou glasses and try arguing with reason and not emotion.

Scneider will not turn out to be a Mason because his fundamentals and technique are better. Its what has been the reason for Schneider's success .

Lou opted to turn his back on the teachings of Rollie Melanson, teachings which improved his GAA to 2.11 in 2010-11.As a result his GAA ballooned to 2.42 this past season. Why would someone change a successful style and go to a less effective one, when the proof was there? As a result, Lou has opened the door wide open to a goalie who in Lou's words...will be a star in the league for years to come. Read it and weep Lou lovers !!

Schneider only playing 6 playoff teams in the regular season and going .500 against them, and then beign under that for the playoffs is a little worrisome to me. People say he was the best thing ever, and deserves all the praise, and isn't sheltered at all.. but really, he played more playoff teams the year before last, and he still only went .500 against them.

He looks very solid and all, but like I said, it's just worrisome of his lack of games against playoff teams, and the fact he hasn't done well against them on top of it.

I mean, out of those playoff teams he had this year.. 3 of them ended very badly, specifically Nashville and Chicago whippings. He had a good game against Boston, but.. that's 3 bad games, of only 6 playoff teams, and he had more his previous year.. and still was only .500 both years.

If that follows through when he becomes starter that's honestly not going to end well.

Mason (who I never thought was all that great) was rushed into the league and had one good year on a team coached by Ken Hitchcock where he was sheltered very effectively. He also plays for the worst franchise in the league when it comes to player development. Also, this happens surprisingly often to young goalies who have calder/vezina worthy seasons. I don't want to take anything away from Mason's one great season because it was great, but his drop off was predictable and predicted.

One insteresting argument against Schnieder is he has never played as a starting goalie so he may not be able to hanlde the work load. If that's true, then no goalies in the league would be a starting goalie because none of them had palyed a starting goalie before they did for the first time. :rolleyes:

I would do this :frantic:

lol, but seriously don't think this is a likely scenario. That said, I do think it is a good idea to have a veteran behind schnieds for this coming year to help keep the sailing smooth. Would have to be a good vet that doesn't want more than one year (bc of Lack), but wants that shot to win a cup. Clemmenson, Theodore, Biron, etc.

The thing is, the fans and the mdia booing, or being extremely vocal about the weaknesses and faults of players does nothing toward helping the player perform better, or improve. Therefore, it is up to the GM to trade away terrible players and new players are developed to the role players we need, then we should shut the hell up about any negativity - because we are useless, and actually harmful, because we run players out of town. If you want to boo someone, boo the GM for not removing certain players or coaches.

What we need are more fans/media fans in this town who are either cheerleaders, or team analysts. What we need to get rid of are these negative nancies who have ZERO professional scouting experience, and usually hockey experience that doesn't even reach junior hockey, and spend their entire life badmouthing certain players or the team. If you don't like the player, then don't cheer for them - you're not forced to do anything you don't want to. But any sort of booing or badmouthing on retarded articles on the province, public blogs or elsewhere doesn't help the player or the team. The player and the team already know all those weaknesses your genius mind can think up, AND MORE. They don't need even more people and media members criticizing their job for them to improve.

Honest, Raw Analysis is NOT the same as Endless Criticism/Plain Disrespect. Learn to tell the difference - stop doing the latter.

Archived