The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wanting To Leave My Job Need Advice

CanuckGAME

Most people at 22 don't make $50k per year, especially without a college or university education. Another option is see if the company will give you leave to go to school, and you can work in the summer months for the same company. That way you've got a fall back. Make sure you do something you love, you'll be happier for it.

Other option is request a transfer.

It depends on 50 k before or after tax. But I guess I'm nitpicking.

So you were a salesperson before being a lawyer huh?

I agree with everything else though, especially the part about marijuana. It should be legalized IMO not because I smoke it (or don't smoke it), but because it crashes the marijuana market for both Canada and the US (to some extent). Taxes could be added on top of it. But I guess it makes too much sense.

Most people who are 22 that are working full time make way more then someone who went to university. For 1 at 22 they are probably still in university and the people who are working are usually in some sort of trade. I was making 65,000 at 22 ... I actually made more at 22 then I do now, took a desk job.

Unless your going to university for 7+ years or went for something that is more "trade" style job ie. nursing,engineering you are not making that much.

Trades is a good route to take but you're probably dreaming. Like I said earlier this thread, only a small handful of people involved in trades is getting paid 100 k a year or more and even fewer people in the trades that are 23 or 24 years old.

I am a 24 year old journeyman electrician and made almost 80k last year, but that is with quite a bit of overtime included. I am about to become a foreman and base wages without overtime will be about what I made last year, although my union just signed a new contract that will give us an increase of 4 dollars an hour.

I don't see how that poster could assume he will make that amount of money unless he goes up North or works a sh*t ton of overtime, which is not always available.

i quit my job on the the 16th sappose to get paid on the 18th, so they stop payment process for check scheduled for the 18th, which i think is illegal cause it wasnt really my last check. so i waited patiently cause the 3 day policie thing is u quit. i asked them not to mail and i will pick up. and they said ok it will be ready on the 24th.. on the 24th i call to see if its ready and they say sorry we thought it was more convinent to mail it to me... it is now thw 29th should i sue? or what?

haha. Not at trades you make 100+ K thats not where I was going at. If your in the right spot they do. I live in a mining town and I know a few people who are Heavy Duty mechanics ( the trade I will be apprenticing in) And took home around 105-110K last year. 4 on 4 off, 12 hour days. Not bad at all. If I go up to the Oil rigs (Which I wouldn't) I would make even more.

Ive asked about HD Mechanic jobs in Vancouver and there isnt many and the pay isnt as great. Im just lucky to be where I live I guess.

And also Overtime is available quite a bit where I am talking about.

In that case, why are you telling people that a 50 k job isn't that good of a job? A vast majority of decent jobs start at 50 k. Now if you said that 50 k isn't really enough to run a family, then I'd actually be more inclined to agree with you. But to say that a 50 k job is "not that good" is different from saying "50 k can easily be spent with a family".

And as people have pointed, the OP is 22.

haha. Not at trades you make 100+ K thats not where I was going at. If your in the right spot they do. I live in a mining town and I know a few people who are Heavy Duty mechanics ( the trade I will be apprenticing in) And took home around 105-110K last year. 4 on 4 off, 12 hour days. Not bad at all. If I go up to the Oil rigs (Which I wouldn't) I would make even more.

Ive asked about HD Mechanic jobs in Vancouver and there isnt many and the pay isnt as great. Im just lucky to be where I live I guess.

And also Overtime is available quite a bit where I am talking about.

Archived