Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Prepare For Another Lockout

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

#61 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,913 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

Goldwater Inst. seeks temporary restraining order to stop Glendale city council Coyotes vote Friday. http://bit.ly/MlcbkD

307mg00.jpg

#62 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:05 AM

Are there too many teams in the League? Bring in a system of relegation to the AHL and that would certainly up the anti in the regular season.

24 teams.......2 conferences ...........one team from each conference relegated to the AHL and 2 teams promoted.
That way the standard would be higher and the competition greater.

Lastly, the NHL sh-t on the European fans with the awarding of TV rights to an obscure nomark media company just when interest in the NHL was really starting to gather momentum. That was a major blunder imo.
Kevin.jpg

#63 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,253 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:18 AM

I'm very okay with another lockout. If the players hold out this time they can oust Gary

Gary is the mouthpiece for the owners. He does what they tell him to.

While it's true that another lockout or strike could lead to his ouster, (the owners would want someone to take the fall) we would just be stuck with another guy just like him.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#64 Venom52

Venom52

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

1 st thing:
no way the NHLPA lets the owners disolve say 1 contract per team without that player becoming UFA. So lets say that you don't like Louie's contract and want to erase it, be prepaired for him to walk for nothing.

2nd:
If I was an Edmonton fan I'd be praying for a strike to start the day after this years draft and running until the day before next years draft, Nail and MacKinnen and everyones current contract staying the same but the players 1 year older(and better).

Umm, no, the contracts are all a year older as well, unless Oilers choose not to sign Yakupov untill training camp. Also, Oilers wouldn't automatically get 1st overall pick. It would be a draft lotto like they did in '05 where everyteam had a chance to get 1st overall.

Posted Image

#65 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,480 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

Gary is the mouthpiece for the owners. He does what they tell him to.

While it's true that another lockout or strike could lead to his ouster, (the owners would want someone to take the fall) we would just be stuck with another guy just like him.

if such is the case then he isn't doing his job, the president (I refuse to acknowledge the Amercianized term commissioner) is supposed to work OUTSIDE of the owners for the good of the game, the position was created because owners are too greedy, corrupt and incompetent to run the league themselves

Straight from the league bylaws
6.1 Office of Commissioner, Election and Term of Office The League shall employ a Commissioner selected by the Board of Governors. The Commissioner shall serve as the Chief Executive Officer of the League and is charged with protecting the integrity of the game of professional hockey and preserving public confidence in the League.

seems to have done a pretty piss poor job of that.

the owners job is to make money, the president's job is to ensure it is done in an ethical and LEGAL manner, he is supposed to protect against corruption, not encourage and participate in it. He's done a piss poor job of that too based on the parade of owners charged with fraud under his watch, and the number who managed to buy a team despite the little hitch of not actually having any money (John Spano, Sanjay Kumar, Boots DePaggio). Greg Jamison?

The terms of president need to change,

1) absolute power, won't work any other way, people won't believe it

2) guaranteed contract cannot be fired for the length of the term, a man worried about his job is bound to play favourites

3) Limited length and number of terms ie 5 year terms max of 2 terms

We also need to move the League office back to Montreal where it belongs and where the game is actually relevant so the president isn't so insulated from feedback from the fans, remember us Gary, the fans, the ones who supply ALL the money (either directly or indirectly) that you and Fehr are gong to war over? The ones who let you know what they think of you every time you show your smirking face or put your slimey paws on the Cup?

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 08 June 2012 - 09:39 AM.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#66 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,253 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

You're preaching to the choir, PNG. It should be like that, but it isn't. Remember the lockout when Jeremy Jacobs was making so much noise?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#67 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

Whatever, I'm on to grade 12 next year, no Canucks anyway.

Thats a strange thing to say. Why not?

#68 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

Are there too many teams in the League? Bring in a system of relegation to the AHL and that would certainly up the anti in the regular season.

24 teams.......2 conferences ...........one team from each conference relegated to the AHL and 2 teams promoted.
That way the standard would be higher and the competition greater.

Lastly, the NHL sh-t on the European fans with the awarding of TV rights to an obscure nomark media company just when interest in the NHL was really starting to gather momentum. That was a major blunder imo.

Im pretty sure NHL franchises are too valuable for any of them to fold unfortunately.

I dont mean whatever static value they have at the moment, I mean they are incredibly valuable because of how much money someone could potentially make.

Take that team out of Phoenix and move it to an actual hockey market for example; you would be guaranteed to make a fortune.

#69 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,940 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

With NJ down 4-1 at the second intermission here, i figured it was time to bump this.

Peca and Linden both said a lockout was inevitable because American teams don't make money until after Christmas anyway. NBC doesn't begin their coverage until then as well.

TOML
Posted Image

#70 Dale Gribble

Dale Gribble

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

I wouldn't mind for a start in like January. Would help the Canucks alot anyway. This season takes forever as it is. Basketball started on Christmas and pulled it off.

#71 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,380 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

The moment the Cup is handed out, they'd be wise to buck up and get it done asap - taking their fan base for granted is arrogant and bad business, particularly in a tough economic climate.

Doesn't matter-it's 2012! The Kings winning the cup is proof the end is near.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#72 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,940 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

The NHL cancelled the two games they usually open the season with in Europe.

fyi The last four cup champs played those games in Europe:

2008- Pittsburgh opens the season in Prague, Czech Republic vs. Ottawa
2009- Chicago opens the season in Helsinki, Finland vs. Florida
2010- Boston opens the season in Prague, Czech Republic vs. Pheonix
2011- Los Angeles opens the season in Stockholm, Sweden vs. New York Rangers

Coincidence?

TOML
Posted Image

#73 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,253 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

Doesn't matter-it's 2012! The Kings winning the cup is proof the end is near.

If the Cubs win the World Series, then I'll be worried....

#74 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

With NJ down 4-1 at the second intermission here, i figured it was time to bump this.

Peca and Linden both said a lockout was inevitable because American teams don't make money until after Christmas anyway. NBC doesn't begin their coverage until then as well.

TOML

i heard about this too.. i guess season will start in late dec or early jan.. :)

#75 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

i heard about this too.. i guess season will start in late dec or early jan.. :)

When Kesler comes back from injury :)
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.