The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] London 2012 Olympics Thread

UMB

FYI: Christine Sinclair is coming home tomorrow. She will land at YVR at 11am.

No word on whether or not the rest of the team will be with her. Sadly it's a work day for most of us but it'd be awesome for her to arrive to some fanfare. Hoping that people who are able, do go to welcome her home.

That Vancouver video made me tear up a little bit, so awesome. I'm really glad I bought the DVD set, I'll probably be re-watching some of those moments in the next few days. :P

As for these Olympics, I'm just sad they're over. In a way, it's kind of cool that Canada's not a major player in the summer Olympics, it gives you a chance to just appreciate sport and athletics without nationalism getting in the way. We were all cheering for Michael Phelps to break the record for most Olympic medals and for Usain Bolt to become the first to repeat as 100 m and 200 m champion in consecutive Olympics, and I think many of us were cheering for team GB even though they're not OUR athletes. As far as Canadians go, I think some of the best moments didn't involve medals at all. How about the women's gymnastics team not only qualifying for the final, but finishing 5th, well ahead of expectations. Or Ian Millar competing in his 10th Olympic games, or Clara Hughes coming back to compete at the summer Olympics at age 39. I'll even add the 100 m relay team in here. No they didn't get the bronze, but they were the 3rd fastest team after coming in ranked 11th. It may take awhile for the sting to go away but I hope in time they can take pride in that fact.

I hope there's no talk of a disappointing medal count. I for one am not disappointed. I think regardless of placement our Canadian athletes did us proud with their determination, sportsmanship and grace in victory and defeat. They gave their best, and I think that's all we can expect. Congratulations to all of Canada's summer athletes and we'll see you all in 2016!!

That Vancouver video made me tear up a little bit, so awesome. I'm really glad I bought the DVD set, I'll probably be re-watching some of those moments in the next few days. :P

As for these Olympics, I'm just sad they're over. In a way, it's kind of cool that Canada's not a major player in the summer Olympics, it gives you a chance to just appreciate sport and athletics without nationalism getting in the way. We were all cheering for Michael Phelps to break the record for most Olympic medals and for Usain Bolt to become the first to repeat as 100 m and 200 m champion in consecutive Olympics, and I think many of us were cheering for team GB even though they're not OUR athletes. As far as Canadians go, I think some of the best moments didn't involve medals at all. How about the women's gymnastics team not only qualifying for the final, but finishing 5th, well ahead of expectations. Or Ian Millar competing in his 10th Olympic games, or Clara Hughes coming back to compete at the summer Olympics at age 39. I'll even add the 100 m relay team in here. No they didn't get the bronze, but they were the 3rd fastest team after coming in ranked 11th. It may take awhile for the sting to go away but I hope in time they can take pride in that fact.

I hope there's no talk of a disappointing medal count. I for one am not disappointed. I think regardless of placement our Canadian athletes did us proud with their determination, sportsmanship and grace in victory and defeat. They gave their best, and I think that's all we can expect. Congratulations to all of Canada's summer athletes and we'll see you all in 2016!!

Those videos are fantastic Trek, thanks!

The Vancouver one was a lot more positive and celebratory whereas in the London one they included a lot of heartbreaking moments too. My favourite parts are the ones with Pistorious, the female runner in the headscarf, the expression on Serena Williams's face when she won, and of course the women's soccer team.

Speaking of the women's soccer team, it looks like hundreds of fans and media are at YVR waiting to welcome them home. That is so good to hear. Way to go Vancouverites!

http://t.co/PMqEq0SJ

live on global right now

Thanks for the heads up. They look truly stunned. So humble that even after making history, they didn't expect to arrive home to any fanfare. I'm so proud of Vancouverites for making sure they got the homecoming they deserved

This pic of Sincy kinda says it all

ce8c88b6e57e11e1b18c12313d051969_7.jpg

Well, looks like we have our first 'official' doped medal winner of the London Games. Belarus' gold medalist in women's shot put tested positive for steroids. That means that the re-assigned medals in the shot put are: gold to New Zealand, silver to Russia, and bronze to China.

http://sports.yahoo....Jwvrw4VOSwE#_=_

Sucks for the New Zealand athlete who didn't get to have her moment on top of the podium during the games and hear her anthem.

Edit: pic of the Belarussian athlete:

722675-nadzeya-ostapchuk.jpg

Archived