73 replies to this topic

#1 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

Manny Pacquiao faces undefeated Jr. Welterweight Champ Tim Bradley for the WBC Welterweight Title Saturday night on HBO PPV.

Not very many mainstream sports fans have ever heard of Tim Bradley, but this guy is the most dangerous, and hungry fighter that Manny can fight outside of Juan Manuel Marquez, and Floyd Mayweather Jr. Many boxing experts give Bradley a great chance to pull off the massive upset.

Still, I think Bradley's head first come forward style is taylor made for Manny, and if he can effectively box from mid range and avoid Bradley's famous headbutts, then I see a Pacquiao victory via late stoppage.

Overview Posted Image Manny Pacquiao (left) and Timothy Bradley are fighting for the welterweight title on Saturday night. (AP)

Manny Pacquiao, boxing's biggest international superstar, is defending his WBO welterweight championship against Timothy Bradley on Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas (9 p.m. ET, HBO PPV, $54.95).
Bradley, the WBO junior welterweight champion from Palm Springs, Calif., is moving up to 147 pounds for a chance at one of the sport's biggest fish and a career-high $5 million purse. Pacquiao will earn a guaranteed $26 million, a figure that could increase depending on the pay-per-view sales.
The first fighter to capture world titles in eight different weight classes (from 112 to 154 pounds), Pacquiao ranks No. 2 in SI.com's pound-for-pound ratings. Bradley ranks No. 8.

Background

Pacquiao is a bona fide global phenomenon -- an eight-division world champ who's drawn straight-faced comparisons to Ali, a congressman in the Philippines with a near-messianic desire to end poverty, one of Time magazine's 100 most influential people -- and he's gone more than seven years since losing a fight. But a pair of underwhelming points victories against Shane Mosley and Juan Manuel Marquez have left many observers wondering if he's past his peak.
After escaping with a split decision against 7-to-1 underdog Marquez in November, Pacquiao tried (or didn't try, depending on whom you believe) to come to terms with Floyd Mayweather to make the fight that fans have clamored for since 2008. But after Mayweather signed to fight Miguel Cotto, Bradley soon emerged as the frontrunner in the Pacquiao sweepstakes and signed the contract in February.
Bradley, although widely regarded as one of the 10 best fighters in the world regardless of weight, is virtually anonymous beyond hardcore boxing fans. He's beaten several current or former titleholders, but his highest-profile win to date was an aesthetically displeasing technical-decision victory over Devon Alexader in January 2011 to unify the WBC and WBO 140-pound titles. Afterward, he turned down a 50/50 offer to fight Amir Khan, then sat out for several months while dealing with an ensuing lawsuit with his former promoters. After signing with Top Rank, he beat Joel Casamayor on the Pacquiao-Marquez undercard -- setting the stage for Saturday's golden opportunity.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz1xGccW2AR

Edited by Canuckerbird, 08 June 2012 - 09:35 PM.

My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said "No. But I do want a normal banana later, so...ya."- The Late Mitch Hedberg

Go Canucks GO

#2 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

I'm pulling for Bradley, Boxing needs some new faces and above all needs to get rid of Don King!!!
I'd love to see Boxing make an emergence as one of the most watched sports again :)
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#3 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

I'm pulling for Bradley, Boxing needs some new faces and above all needs to get rid of Don King!!!
I'd love to see Boxing make an emergence as one of the most watched sports again :)

A Bradley victory may be marginally good for the sport in the long run, but it would be a terrible disaster for the shortrun, one that boxing might not recover from.

As it stands, Mayweather and Pacquiao have both been pulling in remarkable PPV numbers as individuals. If they somehow manage to fight each other, the fight would be one of the biggest sports events in history, one that would put the boxing back in the limelight.
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said "No. But I do want a normal banana later, so...ya."- The Late Mitch Hedberg

Go Canucks GO

#4 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

Same, and im kinda disappointed in Pacquio for not signing the Mayweather fight. w/e though, anyone can do what they please.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#5 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:59 PM

Same, and im kinda disappointed in Pacquio for not signing the Mayweather fight. w/e though, anyone can do what they please.

Mayweather asking for 100% of what would be the highest grossing PPV of all time was unreasonable and is the latest reason why the fight isn't happening.

Edited by Canuckerbird, 08 June 2012 - 11:02 PM.

Go Canucks GO

#6 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

If Bradley boxes Manny and stay away from exchanging, he MIGHT just have a chance.

Bradley might start out swinging due to excitement and inexperience and thats where Pacquiao can counter and end it quickly.

I think after this fight, its Mayweather or retire for Pacquiao. He's 34 now, not as explosive as before and doesnt really need to prove anything else. Hopefully he ends his career on a high note.. preferably an an ass whooping of epic proportions on Mayweather.

#7 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:27 AM

If Bradley boxes Manny and stay away from exchanging, he MIGHT just have a chance.

Bradley might start out swinging due to excitement and inexperience and thats where Pacquiao can counter and end it quickly.

I think after this fight, its Mayweather or retire for Pacquiao. He's 34 now, not as explosive as before and doesnt really need to prove anything else. Hopefully he ends his career on a high note.. preferably an an ass whooping of epic proportions on Mayweather.

Bradley's not a boxer though, he's a pressure fighter who loves to come in head first. His best chance is to "accidentally" headbutt Manny to the point where the Filipino bleeds. Manny gets rattled at his own blood and performs poorly in fights where he is cut.

Go Canucks GO

#8 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:55 AM

i like pac man but marquez deserved victory in the last fight. the official decisions in boxing so many times are a joke that even the commentators are at a loss for words.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#9 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

i like pac man but marquez deserved victory in the last fight. the official decisions in boxing so many times are a joke that even the commentators are at a loss for words.

Yea - I remember watching that fight, and man did the judges ever f up. It's a shame when things like that happen...it's happens on a regular basis now days too.

Posted Image

- Tom Brady

#10 CanucksHomer

CanucksHomer

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

Fixed...

#11 TheCanucksRock

TheCanucksRock

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

Talk about a fixed match. That was a terrible decision.

#12 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

Absolutely disgusting call.

Apparently backing up the whole game is considered a win

1zf4oy1.jpg

#13 theo5789

theo5789

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

Absolutely disgusting call.

Apparently backing up the whole game is considered a win

It has worked in the NHL, why not here as well?
VanWhitecapsFC YouTube Page

Also mycanucksdotca on YouTube

#14 CanucksHomer

CanucksHomer

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

meh, mma>>>boxing.

boxing is dead. whats with all this picking and choosing your opponent? have 1 match-maker like Joe Silva to make all the fights so that no one can duck.

and what is with paquiao staying in the room to finish watching basketball, if someone did that in the UFC, uncle Dana would of give the dude's butt a boot.

#15 masutheakita

masutheakita

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

the fix was definitely on.

pacquiao had to lose to set up the trilogy... i suspect bob arum is behind this.

but the fight wasn't close and boxing just screwed millions of fans in the ass!

#16 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

Fricken bullcrap man. Such an embarrasing day for boxing.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#17 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,760 posts

Definately fixed, but I can see why they would want Bradley to win for the future of the sport.

He's one of the new big names of boxing, putting a loss on his record or Alvarez for example would hurt their brand.

Once Pacquaio and Mayeather retires, they're going to need new cash cows, they think Bradley CAN be a cash cow one day so he had to win.

Father time is catching up to Manny, not as quick, hungry and ferocious as before. Tonight wasnt his best fight, but he definately deserved his 55th win.

Oh well, all great story has to end. Manny has compiled a great career and should retire happy and healthy.

#18 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

Fricken bullcrap man. Such an embarrasing day for boxing.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#19 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

If this was Mayweather he would probably go up to the judges and knock the f outta em. Ah well MoneyMayAllDay
Sig too big.
-Milan Lucic

#20 iLLmAtlc

iLLmAtlc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

Honestly guys Bob Arum is such a crook I wouldn't be surprised if he was behind this. Now he gets a rematch with another 1 million and possibly trilogy fight all under his Top Rank umbrella and he won't have to worry about splitting with Golden Boy.
Posted Image

#21 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

The fix was definitely in. Big money was dropped on Bradley very late in Vegas. 11-1 Pacquaio.

#22 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

Honestly guys Bob Arum is such a crook I wouldn't be surprised if he was behind this. Now he gets a rematch with another 1 million and possibly trilogy fight all under his Top Rank umbrella and he won't have to worry about splitting with Golden Boy.

Arum announced a rematch date for this (November 10th) 11 days prior to the fight

http://bleacherrepor...m-is-frightened

Enough said

1zf4oy1.jpg

#23 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

Even Dana White was pissed about the decision, can't believe Manny didn't get the victory, total bullcrap!!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

The fix was definitely in. Big money was dropped on Bradley very late in Vegas. 11-1 Pacquaio.

Pac was -432 at 2pm it closed -397 at pinny. Lots of late money on Bradley

1zf4oy1.jpg

#25 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

meh, mma>>>boxing.

boxing is dead. whats with all this picking and choosing your opponent? have 1 match-maker like Joe Silva to make all the fights so that no one can duck.

and what is with paquiao staying in the room to finish watching basketball, if someone did that in the UFC, uncle Dana would of give the dude's butt a boot.

Except you have guys like Silva who duck out of fights by saying he doesn't want to fight his friends. His friends include, Jon Jones, the Nogeira Bros, Machida, etc.

#26 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:54 PM

RIP Boxing.

Didn't watch the fight, but my family friend who's about to make the UFC in a year or 2 messaged me and told me how brutal the decision was.

Said didn't know someone could win in every category but lose the fight. ..someone care to fill me in on what happened?

Posted Image

- Tom Brady

#27 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

Arum announced a rematch date for this (November 10th) 11 days prior to the fight

http://bleacherrepor...m-is-frightened

Enough said

Yeah, something was fishy when he said "im gonna make alot of money in the rematch", but I didnt know he announced the rematch date prior the the first fight. :shock:

Teddy Atlas (who is no fan of Pacqauio lol) was disgusted by the decision and called boxing a corrupt sport. That says it all, a long time boxing analysts calling out his own sport.

#28 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

RIP Boxing.

Didn't watch the fight, but my family friend who's about to make the UFC in a year or 2 messaged me and told me how brutal the decision was.

Said didn't know someone could win in every category but lose the fight. ..someone care to fill me in on what happened?

The judges were doing rails of coke.

#29 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

The judges were doing rails of coke.

Please post some links to the fight if they are out ...wanna see it myself....seems like a horrible day for boxing and something mischievous was up.

Posted Image

- Tom Brady

#30 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

RIP Boxing.

Bradley was preety much back peddling the whole fight, throwing some few jabs and flury once a while, but the fight was tottally controlled by Pacquiao.

Threw and landed more punches and in PWs, and was the more agressive fighter of the two.

Funny watching Bradley's face prior to the results, then the interview after the results, he really believes he won lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.