Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

All provinces now have a lawsuit in the works against Big Tobacco

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#31 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

Actually he was right that it went over your head, your post made no sense whatsoever, going on an unrelated tangent regarding fat people or being coerced by a job to do an unsafe act, and not addressing the point which was akin to the later Smith and Wesson analogy. Suing smoking companies for self inflicted injuries would be like suing Smith and Wesson for someone shooting themselves, or suing a city for making a large skyscraper to leap from, or suing rope makers for hanging one's self. Smoking companies are not making people smoke cigarettes, they wilfully smoke them, they are then responsible for personal damage inflicted upon themselves, not cigarette manufacturers. Plus, cigarette manufacturers have already forked over money for damages not caused by them, plus cigarette buyers already pay a significantly higher premium than ten or twenty years ago not only here but in the US as well.
e with the premise though about the stuff put into cigarettes being main sources of carcinogens, certainly not nearly all of them.

You need to read it again. I addressed a comment in the post I was responding to. Bolded the part I was responding to and everything. :rolleyes:

And no, I got it just fine, thank you.....just chose to only respond to the part of the post that I did. I wasn't aware there was some sort of rule that one must respond to the entirety of a post...perhaps you could lobby for one so you aren't so easily confused?

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 10 June 2012 - 03:58 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#32 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

Smoking pure tobacco is also carcinogenic, just not as carcinogenic as manufactured cigarettes because of all the other **** they use like nicotine and tar. Smoking anything is carcinogenic, and tobacco also has the benefit of carrying additional natural carcinogens. The notion of "because it grows in the ground" is highly flawed. Try smoking some water hemlock or deadly nightshade and tell me how well that works out for you. ;)

I do agree with the premise though about the stuff put into cigarettes being main sources of carcinogens, certainly not nearly all of them.

Tar isn't added to cigarettes. Its just a byproduct when burning any form of tobacco. Roll your own tobacco produce even higher amounts of tar than prepackaged. Tar in tobacco is a misnomer. Its not like the stuff on the streets.

Nicotine alone has not been proven to be carcinogenic but it is highly addictive which is why smokers keep on smoking.
Posted Image

#33 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:12 PM

Tar isn't added to cigarettes. Its just a byproduct when burning any form of tobacco. Roll your own tobacco produce even higher amounts of tar than prepackaged. Tar in tobacco is a misnomer. Its not like the stuff on the streets.

Nicotine alone has not been proven to be carcinogenic but it is highly addictive which is why smokers keep on smoking.

Not entirely. Nicotine can be easily gotten over, the trouble with quitting is 100% mental. I know because I struggled time and again to quit, and a book brainwashed me in 3 days to quit and feel no cravings.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#34 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:18 PM

While i might agree that personal responsiblity is very important, i don't mind seeing Mr. Responsibility start a little war on the other side of the spectrum.

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#35 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

Not entirely. Nicotine can be easily gotten over, the trouble with quitting is 100% mental. I know because I struggled time and again to quit, and a book brainwashed me in 3 days to quit and feel no cravings.

Was it the Bible?

Congratulations on your enlightenment!

#36 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

Was it the Bible?

Congratulations on your enlightenment!

There are two things the bible is good for, keeping me warm or keeping me clean.

It was Allen Carr's Easyway to Quit Smoking. Dude saved my life probably.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#37 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

There are two things the bible is good for, keeping me warm or keeping me clean.

It was Allen Carr's Easyway to Quit Smoking. Dude saved my life probably.

Well, congratulations anyways!

You just saved yourself a ton of cash. That's what I noticed the most when I was smoking, it's way too expensive to be worth it.

#38 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.