The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Report Card - Grading the Canucks 2011-12 Season

Smashian Kassian

I get the OP is grading on what players are capable of, so realistically only 4 players could be MVP, Ross, Ross, Selke, Vezina. Dale Weise could score 20, win every fight and play a solid 12 min/game , rating an A+ season, but still not be MVP.

But EDLER an A? a #1 D?

How many playoff teams have a #1 d that if offered straight up for Edler every GM in the league says yes?

Chara, Doughty, Keith... the list goes on but at what point does it become clear Edler is not a #1 D?

If Rome or Alberts played as well as Edler I would give them an A+.

Heck I'd trade Lidstrom for Edler if he said he'd play for 2 more years

The team went to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup and AV can't get it done?

This year the Canucks came up against a bigger and faster team with a hot goalie. For the 2nd year in a row, Kesler has been playing with a serious injury.....no 2nd line is not going to take you too deep into the playoffs. And an injured Kesler who cannot stand his ground in front of the net on the PP means a PP that is going to fail. The Kings made the Canucks take mostly perimeter shots....that doesn't win a playoff too often.

The coach can only play the players that he has on the team and as demonstrated over the last 2 years, Vancouver has to get nastier, bigger and faster.

That is MG's job but he can only get the players that are available, who want to come to Vancouver, and who fit under the Cap. He just can't magically convince Nashville to take Ballard and Raymond for Weber or Sutor. It might work on a hockey video game but not in real life.

The team went to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup and AV can't get it done?

This year the Canucks came up against a bigger and faster team with a hot goalie. For the 2nd year in a row, Kesler has been playing with a serious injury.....no 2nd line is not going to take you too deep into the playoffs. And an injured Kesler who cannot stand his ground in front of the net on the PP means a PP that is going to fail. The Kings made the Canucks take mostly perimeter shots....that doesn't win a playoff too often.

The coach can only play the players that he has on the team and as demonstrated over the last 2 years, Vancouver has to get nastier, bigger and faster.

I get the OP is grading on what players are capable of, so realistically only 4 players could be MVP, Ross, Ross, Selke, Vezina. Dale Weise could score 20, win every fight and play a solid 12 min/game , rating an A+ season, but still not be MVP.

But EDLER an A? a #1 D?

How many playoff teams have a #1 d that if offered straight up for Edler every GM in the league says yes?

Chara, Doughty, Keith... the list goes on but at what point does it become clear Edler is not a #1 D?

If Rome or Alberts played as well as Edler I would give them an A+.

Heck I'd trade Lidstrom for Edler if he said he'd play for 2 more years

We disagree on the impact a coach can have. As for AV's playoff success...he's been here 6 years and got past the 2nd round once.

With AV, it is always that he is missing a few pieces, never that he doesn't get the most out of what he has. No team ever has ALL the pieces it wants. A coach (just like a good workman with his tools) gets the best out of all of his players. I question many of AV's personnel decisions and line make-ups and believe he lacks the involvement and personal involvement with his players to get them to play their best.

AV is a defense first coach that has been asked to create an offensive team. He has some of the best offensive talent in the league and yet two playoff years in a row, this team's offensive output has been brutal.

Perhaps it's just a matter of the wrong coach for the style the GM wants the team to play. That makes it more of a MG failure than AV though I think they both deserve a failing grade.

Kassian was no where near the player Kesler or the Sedin's were last season. To give him a C grade in your world is outragious. The only thing Kassian showed me this year with his time in Vancouver is that he is very capable of opening and closing the door to let the players on and off the ice. Someone has to tell Kassian to actually keep both hands on the stick when he is playing and also when he is one on one with the puck that he does not have the hands nor the speed to try and go inside out on players.

Kassian was no where near the player Kesler or the Sedin's were last season. To give him a C grade in your world is outragious. The only thing Kassian showed me this year with his time in Vancouver is that he is very capable of opening and closing the door to let the players on and off the ice. Someone has to tell Kassian to actually keep both hands on the stick when he is playing and also when he is one on one with the puck that he does not have the hands nor the speed to try and go inside out on players.

Forwards:

Sedins D

Burrows C

Booth C

Kesler F

Raymond F

Higgins B

Pahlsson C

Hansen B

Malhotra F

Lappiere B

Kassian F - (Bust, the next Stojanov)

Defense:

Hamhuis C +

Bieksa D

Edler D

Salo B

Ballard C

Tanev(D) *massively overrated, will not be anything but a 3rd pairing dman in his career.

Goalies:

Luongo D *choked again

Schneider A

Forwards:

Sedins D

Burrows C

Booth C

Kesler F

Raymond F

Higgins B

Pahlsson C

Hansen B

Malhotra F

Lappiere B

Defense:

Hamhuis C +

Bieksa D

Edler D

Salo B

Ballard C

Tanev(D) *massively overrated, will not be anything but a 3rd pairing dman in his career.

Goalies:

Luongo D *choked again

Schneider A

Well he didn't do jack all in shutting down the kings top line. I mean that's why we traded for him right? To shut down the opposition top line. D for me. Besides that I would give Edler a C because for a player compared to lidstrom for so many years, 49 pts is what you would expect from him. I would give Ballard a D- because I expect him to play like a 4.2 million dollar guy but unfortunately it looks like he's just interested in cashing in.

Overall I agree with mostly everything else.

Forwards:

Sedins D

Burrows C

Booth C

Kesler F

Raymond F

Higgins B

Pahlsson C

Hansen B

Malhotra F

Lappiere B

Defense:

Hamhuis C +

Bieksa D

Edler D

Salo B

Ballard C

Goalies:

Luongo D *choked again

Schneider A

Archived