Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

idk if malhotra will be around........

Hansen Higgins Jensen? Higgins can play center

He is under contract, I don't see Gillis demoting him if there isn't a reason to. That roster is based on what our team looks like now... hopefully there are moves to be made.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#32 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Hansen
Higgins-Lapierre-Latendresse
Malhotra-Gaustad-Kassian

Bieksa-Hamhuis
Edler-Schenn
Garrison-Tanev

Schneider-Budaj

#33 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

He's virtually admitting that his plan for the upcoming season has been scrapped, thanks to the forced Hodgson trade.

Now he'll have a hard time icing near the team he had. Henrik Sedin will be the ONLY real center available to the team at season start. (With all due respect to One-Eye Manny, Lappy, and Schroenic the Hedgehog.)

We have been screwed. Yet again. Get ready for a long period of decline.

Or maybe i'm dead wrong with that. Whatever. Cheers.

TOML

I tend to agree with the declining part ?

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#34 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:21 PM

Jensen's alittle rough around the edges to be relied on now. But he looks promising.

But he wants younger, but there's many other things he wants./
Posted Image

#35 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

I just don't understand why this team in 42 years hasn't been able to find the right combination of skill, size, toughness and determination to win the cup ? I mean for peat sake you think just once they'd fluke out and get it right !? How much more as fans do they expect us to take !? :blink: :wacko:

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#36 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

they should get sam ganger to take Kessler s spot in the beginning of the year Raymond for Ganger if they can

You should definitely be the GM.

#37 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

I just don't understand why this team in 42 years hasn't been able to find the right combination of skill, size, toughness and determination to win the cup ? I mean for peat sake you think just once they'd fluke out and get it right !? How much more as fans do they expect us to take !? :blink: :wacko:

We aren't that special... Toronto, St. Louis, Buffalo (and up to recently LA) are in the same boat.... as a matter of fact, there are a dozen teams who have never won a Cup.

Vancouver
Buffalo
St. Louis
Washington
Phoenix
San Jose
Ottawa
Florida
Nashville
Winnipeg
Minnesota
Columbus

We haven't won because it is very hard to win, and there are a lot of teams who want to win.

Look at this link if it makes you feel better. Imagine not having won a single playoff series in 18 years?
http://en.wikipedia....season_droughts
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#38 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:13 PM

He's virtually admitting that his plan for the upcoming season has been scrapped, thanks to the forced Hodgson trade.

Now he'll have a hard time icing near the team he had. Henrik Sedin will be the ONLY real center available to the team at season start. (With all due respect to One-Eye Manny, Lappy, and Schroenic the Hedgehog.)

TOML

I don't think this has all that much to do with Hodgson. The only part of that interview I thought had to do with Hodgson was when he was asked if character is still the most important quality he looks for in players that he would add to the organization. He replied with something along the lines of "Yes, we will continue, and we are pretty confident in our ability to source out these players who can handle a crazy hockey market. We have made mistakes in the past, but we feel pretty good about most." The first name that popped into my head was Torres, then Hodgson. They drafted Hodgson based on character, and they traded him based on that, too.

I feel the whole getting younger thing is the complete opposite of writing off next season, and here's why: The only way for us to improve our current core of character guys is to get younger. We are a cap team, and young players are cheap. It is the only way we can actually improve our team. Most trades he can make are lateral moves that add something by compromising another; it is next to impossible to gain any assets via trade without being incredibly risky or lucky. GMMG seems to recognize this, and he is too confident in his ability to build a winner than to try his luck. With "getting younger," he is just saying, "Now is the time to start developing--at the NHL level--the players that we feel will be our core players for a long time. Believe us, we have them, and we will show you soon. We couldn't compete with LA this year, and we certainly won't next year unless we get younger. This is how we are conducting our business from here on out, and this is why we are likely to trade Luongo."

Anyways, I hope there is some optimism for you to find somewhere in there.

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#39 goblix

goblix

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:31 PM

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Hansen
Higgins-Lapierre-Latendresse
Malhotra-Gaustad-Kassian

Bieksa-Hamhuis
Edler-Schenn
Garrison-Tanev

Schneider-Budaj

Gaustad will probably get around 3m - 3.5m

Thems the breaks for a big two way center that turns UFA in a weak free agent pool

#40 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

via Mike Gillis Interview on Youtube.

how does this idea change our team for 2012-2013?

Which is why he has been trading off all our top prospects and draft picks - Grabner, Hodgson, etc.

#41 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

He's looking at the free agent market, and realizes that it's thinner than ever. The only players worth making an offer to are going to be seriously overpaid.

So, this is his way of preparing us for having Kassian, Schroeder, and Jensen all in the top-9 next year.

Schroeder and Kassian aren't making the top nine for more than a few days.

#42 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,879 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

I think he gave another little shot at Hodgson.

"We draft for character... sometimes you make a mistake... (long pause)"

Serves the little turd right. Trading a selfish little rat like Hodgson out of Vancouver turned out to be the best move MG has made. He's building a winning culture here, sure, but he's doing it without relying on selfish players who aren't loyal to the team and the city.

I'll admit I was furious when Hodgson was traded, but now that I know what kind of a little dbag he is I'm glad we have Kassian here instead.
Posted Image

#43 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:17 PM

Gillis has said this a lot since the season ended, I can't help to wonder if this means he's looking into moving some core guys. Kesler isn't old and he'll be the hardest one to move cause we need a 2-way top 6 centre with size, grit, skill and speed so this makes moving him ridiculously hard, near impossible cause he brings everything we need much more of, but after the season and piss poor playoffs one would think a message needs to be sent, some kinda shake up and Luongo alone wouldn't be it as it's expected and Sedins just can't be moved.

It's tough because there's no doubt the Canucks NEED to get bigger and grittier without losing skill but with Sedins and Burrows making up half of the top 6 and Hamhuis and Bieksa making up half of the top 4, this makes getting bigger and meaner every tricky as you'd have to look into moving some of those guys, Booth and Kesler are our only gritty, big, legit top 6ers, Edler in the top 4 D and this is our biggest issue, imo. No wonder why Kesler is always injured.

#44 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,848 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Booth - Duchene - Kesler :bigblush:

Kassian - Duchene - Jensen

:bigblush:
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#45 Wh!stler R!der

Wh!stler R!der

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

The season before Nicklas Jensen was drafted, he scored 29 goals and 29 assists with Oshawa. He was drafted 29th overall.

I'm thinking he should wear # 29 when he makes the big club.

AV: "At the end of the day that is Romers number and job to lose" something tells me AV will do whatever it takes to convince MG to resign him....
This city deserves a championship. This is the best era in Canucks history, keep bleeding blue n green always!
Win it for Ripper, Luc and Demo.

#46 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

TOML

Canucks season isn't screwed at all, we're a slow starting team anyways and this will give younger players some time in the NHL so we can see where their at and the impact they can bring but I'd like to see them all in the AHL next year, including Kassian. But I do agree that the Canucks are on the decline, Sedins are only getting older and we seen a pretty significant drop in their points this season and even a major scoring drought, which is a huge concern given that this is new to their game and I believe we'll see this happen again.
Kesler has played and completed hard and it's wearing on his body and it's showing with 2 major surgeries that have him sitting out the start of the season again, torn up hip and now on the shoulder... ouch I'm beating Keslers better days are behind him and he'll be a 50 point player now, still good but his body is showing the wear and in risky areas like the hip that bugged him all year and now the shoulder that effected his shooting and scoring abilities. IMHO the Canucks window is about to close we have maybe 1 year left, maybe 2 but I don't think this team with this core will ever be as good as the team that went to the cup finals, that was this cores shot and they blew it.

If Gillis blew up the team I wouldn't fault him at all, I'd give him a ton of respect even if it didn't work out, cause I think keeping this core moving forward is much more riskier than moving in a different direction with the core(Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, Luongo out). But with this market Gillis will never do this and it's easier for him to ride this core to the ground, it's much safer and we'll always have the 2011 playoffs to convince our selves and for Gillis to use as a reason to keep this core that clearly has some major concerns moving forward like the Sedins production on the decline and major scoring droughts and Kesler health, how much are the hip and shoulder issues going to affect him and if he can ever recover from it, if anyone thinks he'll step in mid season and tear up the league again is nuts!!! so this puts us back another year. He's now missed 2 offseason to train and 2 training camps and has had 2 major surgeries that affect his speed, agility, shot and scoring ability and grit/toughness.

Edited by AnInconvenienceBrah, 13 June 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#47 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:05 AM

We aren't that special... Toronto, St. Louis, Buffalo (and up to recently LA) are in the same boat.... as a matter of fact, there are a dozen teams who have never won a Cup.

Vancouver
Buffalo
St. Louis
Washington
Phoenix
San Jose
Ottawa
Florida
Nashville
Winnipeg
Minnesota
Columbus

We haven't won because it is very hard to win, and there are a lot of teams who want to win.

Look at this link if it makes you feel better. Imagine not having won a single playoff series in 18 years?
http://en.wikipedia....season_droughts

The sad part of that list is, St Louis made it to the finals 3 years in a row and didn't win once.
How awful would that be for the team/fans?

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#48 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:13 AM

i dont really care if this team gets younger, older, bigger, tougher, etc. just get us some offense and some playoff performer's. We have lacked that the past 2 years, and it has cost us quite big.

PS. Although i really would like 2 young lines for our 3rd and 4th (who can play hard still) lines. That would be a nice thing to have and they could potential turn into our new top 6 when our existing on begins to decline, retire, etc.
Posted Image

#49 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:58 AM

So he wants the team to get younger, but we've traded/given away all our prospects in the last few years... Logical.

#50 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

POPULAR

Gillis gets rookies. AV doesn't let them play
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#51 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

I don't know why people are so eager to rush Jensen into the NHL...

He really isn't a gamebreaking franchise prospect and hes still only 19...

Wouldn't you rather see a 21 year old Jensen on year 1 of his ELC than a 19 year old Jensen on year 1 of his ELC?

#52 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,898 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

Duchene and Hodgson are best friends, i doubt he'd want to come here.

So Duchene would turn down an offer sheet(increased pay) because his former bff got traded.

LOL.

#53 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

I think Gillis has be in Vancouver for to long now, I think the smoke fumes are getting to his head a little. First he tries to sign players who are in their 40's at the end of their careers, then he trades away all his young prospects for veteran players, and now he wants to get younger? MG you sure you don't need a map? because your track records shows your all over the place.
Posted Image

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#54 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,850 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

Dear Mr.Gillis,

How do you build a young team? By drafting. If you want a young team, you need to start drafting effectively. During your tenure, the Canucks have a whopping ZERO players drafted by your staff playing for this club. Anyway, my point is short but sweet.

Sincerely,

A knowledgeable hockey fan.
Posted Image

#55 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,984 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

I thought he as much as admitted he blew the trade a week or so before the play off's. :huh:

When he made the deal, it was about a certain "balance," presumably size and physicality to compete in play off wars. It stunk at the time, as Hodgson was a big chip to move for what was (and is, sorry naive CDC types) a lower calibre prospect. Not a significant proven performer.

When Kassian was appearing a bust for expectations this year, he then tried to spin the trade as being for the future. THAT was the admission!

Of course later he covered his tail, going beyond an implication that his hand was forced. He still has a responsibility to make a better deal.

But we still have assets to play in rejuvenating the team, even if its plan B. Beyond Lou we have heaps of left side depth on D and particularly at left wing. There is scope to create a balanced line up!

TOML

#56 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,984 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

Actually, the Hodgson trade aside, it is logical!

5 years ago, the Twins were just reaching prime years in their career (28), but our teams core was evolving led by Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows, soon to be followed by Edler. The makings of a good NHL team was there, but needed more seasoned talent to both compete at the time, and grow. We wanted to capitalize on that core.

5 years later, Kesler, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin and even Luongo all had declines in performance. Its not a stretch to think that would continue.

Only Lou has young legs pressing him into a role where he could graciously decline. We do need to get younger.

The problem is our current prospect pool does not appear capable of doing it. The damnation is that since Erhoff, we have given up progressively more valuable prospects for progressively less return. Nor did players received nicely compliment our vets the way Erhoff did. We are getting closer to to being pressed into a corner.

I agree with a separate OP post in answering this one, at least one of our core needs to be sacrificed in a blockbuster to rejuvenate our team. Presumably Lou is the sacrifice, and we need to draft better! There is still a chance with (most of) this core.

But those words smashing Hodgson 4 years ago by AV, now ring Soooo loudly as missed opportunity!

So he wants the team to get younger, but we've traded/given away all our prospects in the last few years... Logical.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 14 June 2012 - 04:51 PM.

#57 tiredatwork

tiredatwork

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

Serves the little turd right. Trading a selfish little rat like Hodgson out of Vancouver turned out to be the best move MG has made. He's building a winning culture here, sure, but he's doing it without relying on selfish players who aren't loyal to the team and the city.

I'll admit I was furious when Hodgson was traded, but now that I know what kind of a little dbag he is I'm glad we have Kassian here instead.

I'm not sure what CoHo did other than want to leave a team that treated him very very badly. Imagine having a job where you performance isn't the best cause you've been sick. Then management announces that you making up the illness and are really fine. You would be fine with this? He obviously wanted to move on but didn't let it affect his play or, from what i understand, his attitude around the team. No question he wanted to move on, which i don't blame him at all, but tried to keep things behind close doors only to be thrown under the bus by our gm. I don't see him being selfish here at all. He was treated badly and chose to move on, I don't blame him.

#58 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

Dear Mr.Gillis,

How do you build a young team? By drafting. If you want a young team, you need to start drafting effectively. During your tenure, the Canucks have a whopping ZERO players drafted by your staff playing for this club. Anyway, my point is short but sweet.

Sincerely,

A knowledgeable hockey fan.

We also have one of the leagues worst prospect pool!! I think we Canuck fans are in for hell soon, aging team, lots of question marks around our stars about health and on the decline, who all have NTC but we have nothing coming up that could replace them. Edler is UFA next summer so the possibility of losing our best and youngest D man who is our # 1 guy will be a nightmare, Gillis has a ton of work this summer.

#59 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,850 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

We also have one of the leagues worst prospect pool!! I think we Canuck fans are in for hell soon, aging team, lots of question marks around our stars about health and on the decline, who all have NTC but we have nothing coming up that could replace them. Edler is UFA next summer so the possibility of losing our best and youngest D man who is our # 1 guy will be a nightmare, Gillis has a ton of work this summer.

Agreed. Gillis needs to make a Philly type splash like they did with their big name players and 'get younger'. I see people suggesting Komisarek, etc, from the Leafs. That is probably the worst thing you can do right now. If we don't get a couple younger roster players (effective ones), higher touted prospects, etc, like the Flyers did, then this deal is probably a bust.
Posted Image

#60 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

Actually, the Hodgson trade aside, it is logical!

5 years ago, the Twins were just reaching prime years in their career (28), but our teams core was evolving led by Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows, soon to be followed by Edler. The makings of a good NHL team was there, but needed more seasoned talent to both compete at the time, and grow. We wanted to capitalize on that core.

5 years later, Kesler, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin and even Luongo all had declines in performance. Its not a stretch to think that would continue.

Only Lou has young legs pressing him into a role where he could graciously decline. We do need to get younger.

The problem is our current prospect pool does not appear capable of doing it. The damnation is that since Erhoff, we have given up progressively more valuable prospects for progressively less return. Nor did players received nicely compliment our vets the way Erhoff did. We are getting closer to to being pressed into a corner.

I agree with a separate OP post in answering this one, at least one of our core needs to be sacrificed in a blockbuster to rejuvenate our team. Presumably Lou is the sacrifice, and we need to draft better! There is still a chance with (most of) this core.

But those words smashing Hodgson 4 years ago by AV, now ring Soooo loudly as missed opportunity!

Yeah but if Luongo doesn't bring back a big or good return?... I don't see the Luongo trade brining in the youth that's needed, your looking at moving Sedins or Kesler to bring those pieces in...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.