Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4386 replies to this topic

#4321 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

Unless a team was willing to take on huge risk by throwing a massive offer sheet at him Cory could either play with the Canucks, or not at all until after the new CBA has been established, or next season - whichever comes first. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding of the RFA situation. His resume has fewer than 80 NHL games on it so I doubt teams would be offering substantially more than the 4million he signed for.

We'll never know for sure. MG obviously wasn't willing to risk it. Based on how most NHL pundits (and I'm sure GMs) view Cory's potential, it could have been a disaster (lose him) or very expensive for the Nucks to take the chance.

#4322 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

I am just guessing but to keep Cory from going the offer-sheet route, I believe MG confirmed he would be the #1 guy going ahead, Lu had requested a trade and would be gone.

If so, a 50/50 split would not impress Cory who has shown incredible, patience, loyalty and character since being acquired by the Nucks.

Telling him he is going to get 41 games as as tarter this coming season when he played 33 as a backup last year, is not much of a reward for his signing here.

Schneider has 3,100,000 new reasons to be happy in Vancouver.

Posted Image

#4323 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

Schneider has 3,100,000 new reasons to be happy in Vancouver.

Not disagreeing with this. I just believe Cory is much more than a "money" player and could have got the same money elsewhere. He wil be happy if given the starting role he has earned and has been vocal about wanting. If he wasn't assured of the #1 spot, I believe he may have entertained Offer Sheets. Who knows which team may have wooed him over.

#4324 dynamic_canuck21

dynamic_canuck21

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

Trading luongo will be a big mistake by vancouver!

#4325 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

It really won't be. When you step past your attachment to him, you can see that it's best for the team.

#4326 Islandboss

Islandboss

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

POPULAR

What a amazing in depth ,educated well thought out insightful post full of indisputable information.

Edited by Islandboss, 20 July 2012 - 06:39 PM.

A statistician is a person who draws a mathematically precise line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.

Kelly is a great gal

#4327 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,847 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

Gillis said at the draft that he expects the trades to occur at the end of the Summer. Gillis traded for Ehrhoff at the very end of August in 2009. Acquired Booth right at the beginning of the season for two old guys. He traded for SOB in right after training camp in 2008.

Gillis is a patient GM and he usually pulls the trigger when teams need to get their roster's set for the season.

A team acquiring Luongo is going to want to do it sooner than later. It's not easy for someone to acclimate themselves to a brand new system, especially goaltenders. It could throw them off for the entire season or at least the beginning and jeopardize their playoff chances.
Posted Image

#4328 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

Unless someone really steps up I think we're better to keep both. Lu and scneider can be rotated every game playoffs included
If need be. We just need to wait til a team really needs a starting goalie. Say what you want about Toronto needing luongo but Burke is right, Reimer and scrivens have both shown they can be adaquate when healthy. Toronto was primed to make the post season last year and their core is young. If JvR breaks out into an all star type player their team should be fine with decent goaltending. Same with Fla. Teams like Cbj, Anaheim, Washington, Chicago and Edmonton could all enter the mix by December if their starters struggle. If we add Doan our team is set for this year. I've never backed the goalie tandem as a good idea but if there's no good deal available then let someone else fail and let Cory and luongos value speak for themselves.
Posted Image

#4329 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Not disagreeing with this. I just believe Cory is much more than a "money" player and could have got the same money elsewhere. He wil be happy if given the starting role he has earned and has been vocal about wanting. If he wasn't assured of the #1 spot, I believe he may have entertained Offer Sheets. Who knows which team may have wooed him over.

So tell me. What's the difference between Scnheider "being vocal" about wanting the 1G position, essentially going above Luongo's head and Hodgson "being vocal" about wanting Kesler's spot while Kesler was injured?

Hodgson was shipped out and Schneider gets the job?

Something is not working in all of this. Something smells really bad.

Edited by GHL, 20 July 2012 - 07:45 PM.

Posted Image

#4330 sampy

sampy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

POPULAR

So tell me. What's the difference between Scnheider "being vocal" about wanting the 1G position, essentially going above Luongo's head and Hosgson "being vocal" about wanting Kesler's spot while Kesler was injured?

Schneider is asking for the starting job after 8 years of developing, Cody was whining after 1. Huge difference.

#4331 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,847 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

Unless someone really steps up I think we're better to keep both. Lu and scneider can be rotated every game playoffs included
If need be. We just need to wait til a team really needs a starting goalie. Say what you want about Toronto needing luongo but Burke is right, Reimer and scrivens have both shown they can be adaquate when healthy. Toronto was primed to make the post season last year and their core is young. If JvR breaks out into an all star type player their team should be fine with decent goaltending. Same with Fla. Teams like Cbj, Anaheim, Washington, Chicago and Edmonton could all enter the mix by December if their starters struggle. If we add Doan our team is set for this year. I've never backed the goalie tandem as a good idea but if there's no good deal available then let someone else fail and let Cory and luongos value speak for themselves.

No they won't be fine with decent goaltending. They need great goaltending on a nightly basis to make the playoffs. We completely destroyed them last season when they came to Vancouver. That was during a stretch where the Sedins were playing their worst hockey in years. They had no defense against us, it was like playing an AHL team. They have terrible penalty killing and team defense. JVR turning into an all star isn't going to help in their two areas of need, goaltending and defense.

Edit: Their two biggest areas of need. They need help everywhere.

Edited by playboi19, 20 July 2012 - 07:42 PM.

Posted Image

#4332 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

What a amazing in depth ,educated well thought out insightful post full of indisputable information.

Easy tiny girl.

Posted Image

#4333 16mark

16mark

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

So tell me. What's the difference between Scnheider "being vocal" about wanting the 1G position, essentially going above Luongo's head and Hodgson "being vocal" about wanting Kesler's spot while Kesler was injured?

Or someone, coach V never liked Cody.

#4334 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

The Canucks have a 1C and the best 3C the game has to offer. What they need is a legitimate 2nd threat down the middle.

After seeing what Florida is NOT willing to part with, Toronto low ball deals look better and those aren't good enough to me either.

IF the theory of adding Garisson to the "best defense in the league" stands as fact,

IF the theory that Schneider is ready for prime time and/ or Luongo has asked for a trade and/ or has conceited to being moved, stands as fact,

IF the reason the Canucks did not win the Cup and have had a relative hard time in the playoffs due to a lack of scoring and not a lack of defense and/ or goaltending, stands as fact,

Then the only trade that makes sense for the Canucks is the acquisition of a legitimate 1C/ 2C to put the Canucks on par with L.A., San Jose and Pittsburgh.

VAN
Lecavalier

TBL
Luongo
--------------------
Sign Doan
Sign Turco

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - DOAN
BOOTH - LECAVALIER - KASSIAN
BURROWS - KESLER - HANSEN
HIGGINS- LAPIERRE - _________

BIEKSA - HAMHUIS
EDLER - GARRISSON
TANEV - __________
ALBERTS

SCHNEIDER
TURCO

Tradable extras:
Ballard
Raymond

Time to cut the fat.

Tampa is out, so.... I really don't know where to start.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#4335 Not A Fruit

Not A Fruit

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

Honestly I like the way Gillis is playing this. He isn't going to accept some decent offer for Lu. He is waiting for a great return for a fantastic goalie. If no one gives us that offer, we will wait till the trade deadline when teams get desperate. I see no trouble in keeping both great goalies, and splitting their games. However it is frustrating as a fan to have to wait this long, but a better offer is worth the wait.
Posted Image
Special Thanks to Twilight Sparkle ^

#4336 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

Yeah, I don't see the problem either.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#4337 Stefanovich

Stefanovich

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

If both goalies can rise above this,we potientially could have another great season, and finally win a cup in Vancouver. The question is can they now co-exsist as 1 and 1a and just play and win ,who really cares about all that other bulls#$t, we could have the best overall team D in the league. Get Doan and some help for the 4th line and we are right there baby!

#4338 Stefanovich

Stefanovich

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

If both goalies can rise above this,we potientially could have another great season, and finally win a cup in Vancouver. The question is can they now co-exsist as 1 and 1a and just play and win ,who really cares about all that other bulls#$t, we could have the best overall team D in the league. Get Doan and some help for the 4th line and we are right there baby!

#4339 Stefanovich

Stefanovich

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

#4340 kodos

kodos

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

We heard you the first time
Posted Image

#4341 Not A Fruit

Not A Fruit

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

We heard you the first time

Posted Image
Special Thanks to Twilight Sparkle ^

#4342 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:59 PM

Honestly I like the way Gillis is playing this. He isn't going to accept some decent offer for Lu. He is waiting for a great return for a fantastic goalie. If no one gives us that offer, we will wait till the trade deadline when teams get desperate. I see no trouble in keeping both great goalies, and splitting their games. However it is frustrating as a fan to have to wait this long, but a better offer is worth the wait.

I agree. We can afford to wait. Every year a few goaltenders struggle and some could be at risk of losing their starting position. If ,any one of, James Reimer, Jonas Hiller, Illya Bryzgalov, or Anti Niemmi struggle again, their respective GMs may be more willing to wheel and deal more fairly. Also, the longer Lou sits, I think, he'll be more open to other options.

In the end, it is we who have the asset teams are gonna need. If we do end up getting a guy like Shane Doan, then we will definately be in the drivers seat. Our one glaring need will have been resolved and there will be no pressure to make a deal. We can wait and see how things unfold and acquire assets according to where our weakness is.

A GM like Burke may regret not dealing a little more honestly as I think the price would only go up. He's gotta think, by now, that his job may be in jeopardy if they miss the playoffs again. He'll definately be active if any one of his goalies can't get the job done.

Any way it goes, I think MG's playing this one right.

#4343 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

Mobile

#4344 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

I agree. We can afford to wait. Every year a few goaltenders struggle and some could be at risk of losing their starting position. If ,any one of, James Reimer, Jonas Hiller, Illya Bryzgalov, or Anti Niemmi struggle again, their respective GMs may be more willing to wheel and deal more fairly. Also, the longer Lou sits, I think, he'll be more open to other options.

In the end, it is we who have the asset teams are gonna need. If we do end up getting a guy like Shane Doan, then we will definately be in the drivers seat. Our one glaring need will have been resolved and there will be no pressure to make a deal. We can wait and see how things unfold and acquire assets according to where our weakness is.

A GM like Burke may regret not dealing a little more honestly as I think the price would only go up. He's gotta think, by now, that his job may be in jeopardy if they miss the playoffs again. He'll definately be active if any one of his goalies can't get the job done.

Any way it goes, I think MG's playing this one right.

Good plan if Lu plays well and doesn't sleep through October.....
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#4345 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

One of the most ignorant posts ever.
Posted Image

When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#4346 tas

tas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,931 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

what does ignorant mean?

#4347 sampy

sampy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

Good plan if Lu plays well and doesn't sleep through October.....

Good point, how much more will Lu's value be when he puts up his usual brutal October.
I hope the issue doesn't get dragged in to training camp. Burke can't seriously think he is going to get it done with Reimer and Scrivens. Hopefully Florida steps it up.

#4348 CrippledCanuck

CrippledCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

Same could be said for your condescending, in depth, educated well thought out insightful post full of indisputable information. Maybe try posting something that contributes to a discussion instead of trying to be a douche

#4349 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

Gillis knows the better offers will come once the other GMs start realizing how bad their goalies really are. I think we'll get decent return for Lu.

Posted Image

#4350 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

what does ignorant mean?

to funy
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.