Honestly I like the way Gillis is playing this. He isn't going to accept some decent offer for Lu. He is waiting for a great return for a fantastic goalie. If no one gives us that offer, we will wait till the trade deadline when teams get desperate. I see no trouble in keeping both great goalies, and splitting their games. However it is frustrating as a fan to have to wait this long, but a better offer is worth the wait.
I agree. We can afford to wait. Every year a few goaltenders struggle and some could be at risk of losing their starting position. If ,any one of, James Reimer, Jonas Hiller, Illya Bryzgalov, or Anti Niemmi struggle again, their respective GMs may be more willing to wheel and deal more fairly. Also, the longer Lou sits, I think, he'll be more open to other options.
In the end, it is we who have the asset teams are gonna need. If we do end up getting a guy like Shane Doan, then we will definately be in the drivers seat. Our one glaring need will have been resolved and there will be no pressure to make a deal. We can wait and see how things unfold and acquire assets according to where our weakness is.
A GM like Burke may regret not dealing a little more honestly as I think the price would only go up. He's gotta think, by now, that his job may be in jeopardy if they miss the playoffs again. He'll definately be active if any one of his goalies can't get the job done.
Any way it goes, I think MG's playing this one right.