The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

First off I side with keeping Schneider because fundamentally I think he is a better goalie and also because his CAP hit is friendlier.

Your suggestion that Lou threw his teammates under the bus instaed of accepting his own shortcomings is a bit out of line. The level of hockey knowledge exhibited by many Canuck fans hit it's zenith with a previous goalie Cloutier. Press and fans dumped on that kid unrelentingly for over 2 seasons. He sat back and took it when his d-core out front was a nightmare. None of the so called team leaders ie Naslund stood up in his defence.

Lou came into that atmosphere and simply refused to take all that blame. In the process hopefully some fans received an education. When a forward lets his check go or a dman blows his overage then a scored goal is not always the goalie's fault. I think that is all that Lou was pointing out, if indirectly.

Kypreos on Connected with Taylor last night in uber dramatic mode, repeating all these rumours as gospel... :shock:

Took is as far as suggesting the Canucks coud waive Luongo and bury him in the AHL like Wade Reddon. So much fail in that kind of speculation. Why would the Canucks damage themselves to spite Luongo?

He either doesn't like the Canucks at all, and/or is very annoyed with Luongo, but in either case, he too jumped the gun based on the Eastern trolling...

The media picked up on when he didnt deserve blame. No one said anything about him his first year, (minus the minor criticism about being a ref on the overtime goal for the Ducks instead of a goalie).

However, ever since then he has continued bantering on his teammates and honestly as a fan that leaves a sour taste on your mouth and I am sure within the lockerrom atleast a bit as well. It is fine if we the fans rip on these players and blatantly criticise them in a open forum becasuse we are not on the team and within the lockerroom for 9 motnhs a year. However, for a player to consistently do that to the media is quite stupid. Also, then it puts Luongo to the same standard when he messes up. That is why the newspapers have had a field day with Luongo in my opinion. He threw other players around the bus and the Province and Sun make sure to hold him accountable when he messes up. Has it gone too far? Maybe, but then again Luongo started the ordeal.

Trust me when I say this Canucks fans have had to deal with a lot more of his crap than he has.

He came in as a whiny pre-madonna 27 year old goalie who was crying to leave Florida. Here he stood on his head for 1 year which is fair and props on him for leading us to the 2nd round against the Ducks. However ever since Game 5 against the Ducks he was never the same goalie. The next year when we collapsed in March and didnt make the playoffs, he was the MOST at fault. The next 2 years against Chicago when his GAA was 3.5+ eventhough our OFFENCE was scoring goals he was the reason we lost. In the 2011 playoffs, he almost choked in the first round especially games 4/5 and then allowed an untimely goal in game 7. In the Boston series he was good but when we needed him to make a save the most he didnt. This season that occurred he failed yet again.

His attitude has also been an issue. Consistently he has thrown his teammates under the bus to media throughout his 6 year tenure. He also dives like a little baby when someone even touches him in the crease.

Even though he has screwed up many times, he has still taken about $48 million from Owner Francesco Aqualini. If you Luongo fans want to portray him the victim go ahead but he in the end has always gotten the better end of the stick. Also, if he cant take heat for being an overrated goalie then maybe he shouldnt have taken the massive contracts in the first place.

Yea, there's no way Lu is going anytime soon. Gillis' asking price is WAY too high.

“@botchford: At least luongo won't have to worry about his NTC for a while, if Canucks asking for Bjugstad-plus-plus and Jake Gardiner-plus-plus”

Those GM's might not even gives us those players straight up, forget ++.

Archived