Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Good morning Vancouver

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#61 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

did he not follow that up by saying that he will abide, this year, by what MG plans to do? I think it was in the year-end interview, that he said this. Both goalies respect each other, and are willing to ride the pine while the other is hot. Why not keep them both? I'm enjoying the positive thinking here, need more of it!

Right now there are reports coming out that Schneider is not willing to sign an extension until he finds out what is going to happen with Luongo.

#62 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:31 PM

Right now there are reports coming out that Schneider is not willing to sign an extension until he finds out what is going to happen with Luongo.

There are lots of reports. However, this report might just mean Lu's status would affect how long or what he signs for. Or whether or not he signs. Arbitration isn't ideal, but the Canucks have that option which limits Schneider's window to July 1-5. Signing an offer sheet might just get him stuck here with Luongo with no option to be traded.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#63 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:31 AM

Not really. Luongo hasn't fallen out of favor with Some friends and I. And we're Vancouver fans. So at least part of that statement is false. And I disagree with most of it. The Canucks are in great shape and I'm not buying into the hype on CDC.

Aaaaaaand just to add. The fact Toronto has gone a different route only adds to my argument that Vancouver is in a strong position. If we weren't we would have already moved luongo for less to T.O. So if it's true that the Canucks are desperate then a trade is imminent. Lu for a bag o pucks. But I will believe it when the deal is signed.

Well said. There are loads who would not be happy to see Lu go, including me.

Am I the only one who is NOT totally convinced by Schneider? I mean there is no denying he is good but we have never seen him go through a whole season..........that worries me.

Lu is a GREAT goalie, we all know that and my fear is Schneider would not do so well behind our POROUS DEFENCE as Lu has done. Get Lu a couple of big defending D's and I'm sure he is the march for anyone and more..............

Edited by Bodee, 25 June 2012 - 01:39 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#64 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,462 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

I dont really agree...as time goes by, the offer will decrease and teams will be less interested in Luongo.

This is the time where teams makes major shakeup, between draft and july 5th ish. After that when we get to August teams are usually completed and teams are planning training camp and the start of the season. Specially if it looks like the season will start late because of the CBA negociation, teams will be reluctant to trade for Luongo before everything is settle.

Also teams will know Canucks are more and more impatient to unload Luongo before the start of the season. Despite Gillis saying he's fine starting the season with 2 goalies, i'm sure he'd rather start with 1. Otherwise a controversy will start to grow.

Now is the time where teams will overpay IMO.

I disagree.

The trading deadline is just as good a time (or even better) to trade an asset like Lou. That's when teams like Florida and Tampa Bay will be battling Washington for the division lead (and the #3 seed) and Toronto will be battling (again) for their playoff lives and a goaltender like Roberto Luongo could easily be the catalyst to make that happen. That's when guys like Burke, Tallon and Yzerman will no longer be quite so "comfortable" with their current goaltending situation.

As far as I'm concerned, the prospect of keeping both goaltenders for the regular season (or most of it) next year, is not nearly as daunting as some pundits and posters seem to believe. I can see AV going forward with a true platoon system for much of the season, if that becomes the case. While it's true that neither goaltender would be truly happy with such an arrangement, it would give the team the opportunity to go with the hot hand all season and both goalies would have the opportunity to earn their starts.

I can't help thinking back to the stretch run last season when the two were basically alternated for every game. Both goaltenders were outstanding, posting back-to-back shutouts, a combined GAA of 1.7 and a record of 8-1, without their leading goal scorer.

If more of that is the best we can do, I can live with it.

Edited by RUPERTKBD, 25 June 2012 - 08:18 AM.

Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#65 NuckFanLivingInCalgary:(

NuckFanLivingInCalgary:(

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

Am I the only one who is NOT totally convinced by Schneider? I mean there is no denying he is good but we have never seen him go through a whole season..........that worries me.

You are not the only one.

Given the choice between #1 and #35 I would would go with Schneider. Not because of contracts or ability, but because of age. Luo's contract is pretty good. His skill is awesome (arguably a career season in 2011). But can he provide stable goalkeeping for 7-10 more years? Probably not.

What I am scared of happening, if we go with #35, is Schneider turning out to be a bust. Anybody who was a fan pre-Luongo can remember the feeling of having zero confidence in your goal tender. I really, really, really, really, really don't want to go back to cringing every time an opposing player is about to shoot. Those were the toughest days of my Canuck fan life.

I'm good with either goalie next year. How MG handles the situation will determine if I am happy or pissed off with the result.
Go Canucks Go!!!

#66 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

It's a good day to wake up and see Luongo wasn't traded for a terrible return. According to many armchair GMs luongo is now a backup, too old and nobody wants him. I say luongo will start the regular season a #1, goalies age well and everybody wants him.

The fact that Lu hasn't moved tells me management is doing a great job. Its called patience. We have some newly drafted players and two very good goalies. When one of our goalies move we will benefit of that there is no doubt.

As time goes on those offers become more significant. Many Canucks fans are notoriously impatient here and want a new jersey every week. That attitude is not good for trading no matter how bad you want luongo gone.

This is me voicing my opinion that we are in great shape. Even if we enter the regular season with both goalies, we will be fine. Free agents are better than trading to T.O. For nothing. Don't be surprised if Schneider gets shopped. If one team throws a ridiculous offer at us for Schneider, it still makes sense to move him.

So let's take a closer look at our new prospects, sit back and relax today. There is no reason to be upset that no moves were made because like I said. No moves made at this point = management doing a good job. When a move is made its because we got the offer we wanted not the offer 'we had to take'. We aren't desperate.

I totally didnt expect Lu to be moved draft day.

I actually dont even remotely believe he will be traded.

A team with a goalie tandem is a major luxury. MG knows this...and the sorry fanbase here conveniently forget that.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#67 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:07 PM

Does no one here on the CDC get that MG does one thing extremely well and that is keeping everyone outside of the organization in the dark? The Canucks are extremely close-knit and tight-lipped because they are well run. Everyone here needs to realize that they know less than 1% of the facts surrounding the situation MG is in. Is it urgent or more long-term? No one will know until a deal is made and then likely not even then. You play the trades game like you play poker: no one knows your hand until the very end.

Doing anything else is moronic, and the people who assume they have enough information to say anything worthwhile about what may go down are equally moronic.

#68 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:15 PM

What I am scared of happening, if we go with #35, is Schneider turning out to be a bust. Anybody who was a fan pre-Luongo can remember the feeling of having zero confidence in your goal tender. I really, really, really, really, really don't want to go back to cringing every time an opposing player is about to shoot. Those were the toughest days of my Canuck fan life.

I never had an issue with Cloutier in the regular season. It was the playoffs that he got sketchy. Hmmmm, feels like I've said that a few time in the last 5 years, too.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#69 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

Does no one here on the CDC get that MG does one thing extremely well and that is keeping everyone outside of the organization in the dark? The Canucks are extremely close-knit and tight-lipped because they are well run. Everyone here needs to realize that they know less than 1% of the facts surrounding the situation MG is in. Is it urgent or more long-term? No one will know until a deal is made and then likely not even then. You play the trades game like you play poker: no one knows your hand until the very end.

Doing anything else is moronic, and the people who assume they have enough information to say anything worthwhile about what may go down are equally moronic.

Funny you say that. When MG and BB were supposedly talking often during the draft, I was wondering if they were just screwing with the media douchery. They should have shaken hands and then both made calls and then watch Maguire's head explode.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.