The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dan Cloutier, new assistant goalkeeper coach?

all goalies will have soft goals and off games. I mean Quick, you know the goalie that helped win the cup for LA and won the conn smythe trophy this year let in a soft goal vs Coyotes (Derek Morris) in the west finals from the red line. Bad plays/goals occur. And anyways, i'm sure his experience is what counts as a coach more than his capabilities. I mean Broduer, Luongo, etc. could be terrible coaches when they retire while others like Sanford, Sabourin, etc. could make for better ones.

Coaching and playing are 2 completely different things.

Just an assumption here, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the vast majority of Cloutier bashers had never seen him play. They see the youtube video of the Lidstom goal ( check out some of Brodeurs bad goals while your at it), and the meltdown against the Wild in the playoffs (happens to alot of goalies -Luongo, Fleury, Roy, etc), and they jump all over the guy.

He was a very good goalie, not great, but definitely not bad. Injuries got the better of him.

While he played here, he was the only Canuck to live in Van year round, and one of the only players to repeatedly stick up for his teammates.

He was great in the locker room. If I was a betting man (I'm not), I'd say that he will be very successful as a coach.

Good for him.

I always respected Dan, all though he wasn't the best goalie we've ever had he was adequate.

I swear the more the years pass, the bigger the myth of how bad of a goalie he was grows. One incredibly bad goal and his career perception changes. Kinda similar to the Luogate (sorry for lack of a better term) situation we find ourselfs in. Luongo gets blamed for not bringing us the cup when our offense dried up in the finals and on the Cloutier side he gets blamed on not taking the Westcoast express era team to the glory land. Yup, it was all his fault we squandered a 3-1 series lead over the Wild!?

Anyways just had to get that off my chest. I'm sure he had a lot of good info to share with the young netminders. Physically and Mentally.

Everyone says Oh man he wasn't bad until that Lidstrom goal then he went down hill . Everyone forgets about the knee injury he sustained during a game against the avalanche he was never the same after that. After he went to L.A. he injured his hip and played through it after that he was done . He also said that Vancouver was his favorite place to play in the NHL . He was a great golaie for us and the only thing people remember is the lidstrom goal I love clouts and always will . Cloutier's regular season success with the Canucks included 2003–04, as he became the first goaltender in team history to record three consecutive 30-win seasons.Over 60 games, he recorded 33 wins, 21 losses and 6 ties. His 2.27 GAA, which established a Canucks team-record (later surpassed by Roberto Luongo), and .914 save percentage were both career-highs.

Thanks Clouts I will always think the best of you and what you did for hockey in my town. With clouts in net and the WCE lighting it up we went from being an half full arena to packed sellouts every night .

what about the plethora of soft goals after which he would just fall apart and we'd have no chance at winning? it happened every other game. he'd be great until that first goal, which was usually a soft as a sick of butter left on a Jamaican sidewalk for a week during the summer, and then he'd fall apart faster than a sand sculpture in a hurricane. also never mind he was the easiest goalie in the history of hockey to tick off, which would take him completely out of the game, usually resulting in a stick of butter goal.

Cloutier's team mates loved him. He was a real character team guy.

Gretzky was the greatest but look how he did as a coach, not very great.

I like to see the Canucks bring back some of their alumni in one capacity or another.

Most former stars don't make great coaches. Its the mid level or lower skilled level guys who end up being the best coaches.

I find it funny how everyone says Dan Cloutier was awful.

He never was? He held the best stats for GAA and SA% for the Canucks until Luongo came in.

We were a high flying offensive team with Crawford as our coach not as defensive minded as we are with AV.

You could make the argument he didn't do well in the playoffs, but he was one hell of a season goalie and face it the team sucked in the playoffs too.

On a side note does anyone know where I can get a Dan Cloutier jersey?

To all of the users making fun of Cloutier... name how many games Ian Clark or Francois Allaire played in the NHL, to name a few. You don't need to be an amazing player to be a good coach, let alone an assistant. I'd love to have Cloutier added to the staff, for all his slip-ups, he always showed great intensity during his playing career which is something you like to see in a coach working with young prospects.

I find it funny how everyone says Dan Cloutier was awful.

He never was? He held the best stats for GAA and SA% for the Canucks until Luongo came in.

We were a high flying offensive team with Crawford as our coach not as defensive minded as we are with AV.

You could make the argument he didn't do well in the playoffs, but he was one hell of a season goalie and face it the team sucked in the playoffs too.

On a side note does anyone know where I can get a Dan Cloutier jersey?

I always thought Cloutier was a bit of a victim of being overplayed in the regular season, come playoffs he was always too beat up or injured. He still played with heart through it all though.

Archived