The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(REPORT) Zach Parise to announce decision tomorrow

David Shoalts@dshoalts

Parise says he will return home tomorrow and discuss things with his family. Would not say which teams in contention but Devils still in mix

So much for that report that announcement will be made in 5mins.

No son, calling him "one of the most complete player/best captain" is absurd. I never called him "second liner". He just isn't worth what some of you think he might get.

Once again, 8-10M/yr on a very long term contract for someone who had 69 points in 82 games and never won an NHL award or Stanley Cup?

No Thanks!!!

No son, calling him "one of the most complete player/best captain" is absurd. I never called him "second liner". He just isn't worth what some of you think he might get.

Once again, 8-10M/yr on a very long term contract for someone who had 69 points in 82 games and never won an NHL award or Stanley Cup?

No Thanks!!!

You're singling out his one year back off of a major injury and he still put up over 30 goals and 30 assists. What about his 98 pt season prior to his injury hmm? What about the fact that he has never put up less than 30/30 in a season?

You can argue that he may not be worth what some on CDC are saying he will get, but singling out his first season back from injury as the only reason is just silly. Also, the Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy in pro sports to obtain, it takes an entire team to win it, how can you possibly count that against him?

We're talking about a young player who has the natural ability to not only find the back of the net with ease, but lead a team on both NHL and Olympic stages.

Any team would be absolutely thrilled to have him and we should count our lucky stars if he ever decided to come to Vancouver. (yes we all know it isn't happening)

Once again, I'm not saying he not a very good player, all I am saying is he will end up being so overpaid, it will be ridiculous and not worth the value of what you get in return.

Injuries aside, he still played 82 games last year. A players most recent season has to be looked at more so than a couple years before that.

Most of our players, who are nowhere near the projected Parise salary numbers, have at least done something to deserve their contracts; Hart, Selke, Vezina nominations, Art Ross, etc.

So should we throw Kesler tot he first team willing to take his $5M contract because he had a less than stellar season this year? Or do we keep him because he is a stud coming off of a major injury and we know he can perform at a much greater level?

Again, Parise brings more than just scoring talent to the team, which is why he deserves big money.

Hart Trophy - Could easily argue Parise for this award just about every year. The Devils are simply lost without Parise.

Selke - Again an arguement could be made for his nomination to this trophy as well. But when you have the names of Datsyuk and Kesler playing at their best, that trophy is a two man race for the most part.

Vezina - How dare Parise not bring home the award for best goalie...... O.o

Art Ross- Yup he's never won it, but he is almost always in the top 10 for points in the league. Add that to all the other stuff he provides to the team and not coming home with the Art Ross is fine.

Again though, my argument was never that he deserves an 8-10 million dollar contract, but rather that he provides so much on so many different levels that looking at point totals alone, one year mind you, is an unacceptable reason to turn him down.

Kesler is not on the verge of a 8-10M contract for long term, so don't compare his situation.

Simple fact is Parise is to be turned down for salary reasons only, not for his play.

Most of our players have earned their contracts and they are all much lower than what Parise wants to have.

He is simply not worth what he is asking for, I don't know why you just don't get that?

Parise's a smart man, he knows he may never be that 90 point player again, and so he's taking his time collecting bigger and bigger offers at absurdly high levels. Just go to the Pens Zach, then Crosby can return you to 90-100 point form :P

Archived