The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Raymond Re Define Himself?

Angry Goose

Is it just me or does it seem like mayray is always falling down... he is very skilled and has soft hands but as the LA Kings proved you need to have that grit and strength to be sucessful when it counts. I just don't think Raymond has that grit and strength in him so when he is not producing he is practically useless. I think that MG will keep him though because he is really good friends with Garrison.

Anyone notice how in every video in this thread, Raymond never looks happy when he scores? He looks like he's always moping. And the other players come over and they pretty much just congratulate him as a formality. No one seems particularly excited if he scores a goal and why should they if he isn't excited? Doesn't really look like he's a part of the team.

I remember when Booth had a scoring slump last year, then when he scored he was so relieved and the other players were so happy for him. Or when Ebbett came back from his injury and scored, he got absolutely mobbed. And everyone was hoping Manny would be alright and back on the team. Raymond? The guy had a spine injury and you'd expect someone would be happy to see him come back. But he just seems to bring them down. Not sure if its an attitude problem or his confidence has been crushed along with a vertebra but something is up.

1 point more than most, could have been more with some focused linemates, he also drew a handful of penalties by out-skating LA rather than flopping.

He got the puck to the net, which is how LA won game 5, the difference was a team interested in playoff hockey vs a few players. Imagine if our defence and Kesler put forth half that effort, we woulda owned the Kings.

Not sure if anyone has posted this in here from hockeybuzz yet...

but I think it is quite an accurate assessment about the league rules in relationship to Mason Raymond's performance.

Worth the read.

The Mason Raymond Mystery

July 10, 2012, 9:53 AM ET [20 Comments]

More Sharing ServicesShare | Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on googlebuzz Share on digg Share on reddit Ian Esplen

van.gif Vancouver Canucks Blogger • RSSArchiveCONTACT

Follow me on Twitter for random hockey talk, question and answer sessions, and the odd witty tweet

News broke yesterday that Mason Raymond was re-signed for 2.275 million. Ordinarily, a signing like this would fall by the wayside, with not much being mentioned about it. But yesterday was July 9th, and there was absolutely nothing going on in the world of hockey. Mason Raymond was even trending on Twitter, with teenage girls in Vancouver swooning that Raymond would be back for another year, while everyone else whined and complained about the signing.

I sit on the fence with this signing and here is why. I like Mason Raymond a lot. He has the speed and skill to be a top 6 forward in the NHL. He plays well in his own end and has scored 25 goals in the past. I love his resiliency to come back from one of the most gruesome injury the game has ever seen. And he's in his prime.

Gillis also has little patience for players that don't work on their game in an effort to be the best player they can be. Trying to get better all the time is part of the culture Gillis has instilled in Vancouver, so one has to believe that Raymond will come to camp stronger and better than ever. The sky should be the limit for Raymond this year right?

Well not exactly…

Mason Raymond is also a player whose future production will be tied to how the game is officiated. If the NHL decides they want wide open, skilled hockey, than Raymond is a bargain at 2.275 million. If they decide they want to let the clutch, grab, hack, pick, and whack style back, than Raymond becomes pretty well useless.

The numbers don't lie...

In 2009/10 and 2010/11 Raymond scored 92 points in 152 games. That is a 50 point average if spread over an 82 game schedule.

At the start of this season, when the game was more wide open, Raymond had 8 points in his first 14 games back. That is a 47 point pace if spread out over an 82 game season.

Then in January, the NHL decided to start bringing clutch, grab, hack, pick, and whack hockey back in order to slow things down. Over the final 41 games, Raymond, would get 12 points. That is a 24 point pace is spread over 82 games.

Then you look at Raymond's almost non-existent playoff resume, (16 points in 51 games, a 31 point production or 82 games) and you can see that when the referees put the whistles away, Mason Raymond goes away.

In a lot of ways I consider Raymond the Anti-Penner. Slow the game down with clutching and grabbing, and Penner looks like a rock star. Open the game up with speed, skill, and eliminate obstruction, Penner looks more like an overweight beagle, struggling to catch his own tail.

Now we all know that the league isn't changing for the playoffs. The league has made is very clear over the years that the NHL playoffs are no place for the game of hockey. But if they open things up during the regular season, Mason Raymond may just have a spot in Vancouver's top 6 and that could lead to a decent return via trade.

While the mystery is still out there as to which Raymond we will get over the next 12 months, one thing is solved, and that's there are a few NHL officials who obviously do not love Raymond.

Sentimentality is the domain of losers. You put the best players on the ice or you do not win.

I never broke my back, but I have permanent lower back damage and disruption to my quality of life and still go in day in and out in my job and not get over 2 mill a year to do it.

Save the sympathy for people that are truly downtrodden, not for poor rich MayRay.

You guys are totally tweaking, and need to get over yourselves, it's like you don't even watch other teams and players that have missed the hit on a deek. How about Edlers drop pass fail? Don't even judge his play based on last season he came back from a serious injury in barely no time. He will have more time to prove himself.

My honest opinion is he will and he'll have a decent NHL career but not with us.

To fit into a contending teams top six his skill just isn't good enough to warrant keeping around. We would be better off having a bigger more physical guy that can put up similar numbers in a bad season point wise. Someone who when they're not putting up points they're still effective.

I think he'd make a great second liner on a team like the islanders or a team hurting in the pk department

He was coming off a broken back last year.. there is a chance with a full offseason of training and reflection on his play that he will turn it around this year.  He has some huge physical and mental hurdles to overcome though.... I'm still glad he's being given the chance.

Archived