The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mikael Samuelsson puts a lot of the blame on Alex Burrows for Canucks cup loss

topbananas

I would take Samuelsson's word on management with a grain of salt. Any coach who has been in the NHL for more than a few seasons will clash with players. Even Scotty Bowman clashed with players in his career and he was the best of all time. From what I have seen in interviews, Sammy is a guy who speaks honestly and doesn't sugar coat anything. If the core guys in Vancouver were bolting when they had the chance (Sedins, Bieksa, Kesler, Burrows) or we couldn't sign anyone (Garrison, Hamhuis, Malhotra), I would be more concerned.

Gillis will have his detractors as well. It goes with the territory.

If we had a genie handy to grant a wish on the management front, I would want Ken Holland as GM and John Tortorella as coach, but it isn't going to happen.

Those are very pretty rose coloured glasses you wear.

Basically, we traded 4.75 million in salary which would come off the books at the end of the season, for eating Reinprecht's 2 million, and adding Booth's 4 years of 4.25 million and a 3rd rounder which may or may not ever even make the AHL.

Samuelsson outscored Booth last season too. And in the playoffs, Booth had zero points in 5 games, while Sammy had 5 points in 7 games.

If we hadn't made that trade, we'd have had an extra 4.25 million to sign free agents. I certainly hope Booth can become more than a 4 million dollar 15 goal scorer.

Those are very pretty rose coloured glasses you wear.

Basically, we traded 4.75 million in salary which would come off the books at the end of the season, for eating Reinprecht's 2 million, and adding Booth's 4 years of 4.25 million and a 3rd rounder which may or may not ever even make the AHL.

Samuelsson outscored Booth last season too. And in the playoffs, Booth had zero points in 5 games, while Sammy had 5 points in 7 games.

If we hadn't made that trade, we'd have had an extra 4.25 million to sign free agents. I certainly hope Booth can become more than a 4 million dollar 15 goal scorer.

"AV just steps back and lets the players do their thing"

Great, how has that worked out? Back to back Presidents Trophies? Who gives a sh*t.

2 Presidents Trophies = 0 Cups

Edit: Don't want to go off on a tangent here, but in my opinion it's Samuelsson > Booth.

Hopefully Booth can change that this coming season.

AV and Gillis looked pretty good while Luongo held this fort together.

I have a feeling this year they will have to work harder and not look as good as in year's past.

TR,Samuelsson did not single out the coach,specifically.It was management.

Managers don't coach.Coaches aren't managers.

He just says that it got the Bruins angry. It may have, who knows. It's his opinion, he didn't blame Burr though.

We just played to angry and with a clouded mind. We should have out skilled them, even though we were banged up and bleeding, I think we could have won the series.

Samuelson was not available when we needed him the most - finals. He was left off of a declining Swedish side during the last olympics for a reason.

You don't judge this trade just yet. This second year with Booth should give us a better picture of what kind of player he is. If he can hit close to 30 goals then you have to think we got a good deal.

Archived