Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Which scenario do you prefer regarding Luongo? Poll.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
104 replies to this topic

Poll: Luongo Scenario (204 member(s) have cast votes)

Which scenario do you prefer?

1. Vancouver takes a lesser offer from Florida, trade Luongo there as a salary dump (64 votes [31.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.37%

2. Vancouver takes a better offer from Chicago, Luongo, Towes, Kane, Hossa, Seabrook, Keith as possible playoff seres vs. Canucks (79 votes [38.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.73%

3. Same as above (Choice 2) but with another Western Team (61 votes [29.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 Mack Attack

Mack Attack

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

You're not getting Versteeg, period.

Is it that unreasonable? Ownership wants Luongo and has told Tallon that adding his salary isn't an issue. Besides, with Mueller signed and Huberdeau coming up there are less spots open. Versteeg is a good player, ideally a 2nd liner on a contender. You wouldn't give up a 2nd liner for a star goalie? I get that goaltending wasn't an issue this year, but are you really confident in a Theodore/Clemmenson tandem getting it done again?

#92 mperoni101

mperoni101

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

No. I wouldn't give up a 26 year old winger who scored 20+ goals four times out of his five year career for a 33 year old top 10 goalie.

#93 Shoreline74

Shoreline74

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

What are the chances of meeting Edmonton in the playoffs..?

You mean what are the chances Edmonton doesn't tank like they always do and actually make the playoffs for once?

#94 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

let's see what having to worry about lu's meltdowns does to the hawks style of play
Posted Image

#95 nucks all the way

nucks all the way

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

If we could get toews I'd be down! but seems improbable

try impossible. Chicago is already dealing with the roster changes after 2010 and they're not about to give up their captain, leader, and core.

#96 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,356 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

You're not getting Versteeg, period.

Don't want him anyway. Not a good fit for Vancouver - and don't want his 4.5 million cap hit or whatever it winds up being. Raymond could just as readily put up 50 points as a second line winger, at a 2.2 million cap hit, stifling speed on the backcheck / good two way game. If the Canucks are going to upgrade their top six, they'll need a power forward on the right wing, something Florida and Toronto don't really have to offer - something they are trying to land in making a bid for Doan. I'm not going to assume Doan is going back to a thinned out Coyotes, or simply fishing for the biggest offer.

Regarding your other post, I'm not sure if you were still talking about Vancouver when you made this point...

"The bottom two lines seemed lackadaisical, phlegmatic. I mean, they were skating, but didn't seem to get anything done"

but if you were, I'd have to fundamentally disagree.

The Canucks third line has actually been outstanding - Higgins and Hansen are serious two-way, energy players who don't take shifts, let alone games off - they have been great regardless of who has centered them, and often the Canucks best line. The fourth line with Lapierre and Malhotra are a seriously effective defensive zone start line...

The Canucks could use a third line center, could use a physical right handed shutdown defenseman, could use a natural right winger, but really nothing pressing - they have another young center who imo will be every bit as capable as Hodgson was (Schroeder) - their needs are really limited to upgrades/depth - they also just drafted a couple more centers in the 1st and 2nd rounds. If Florida wants the stability that Luongo brings, they'll have to be willing to part with a bit of youth.

#97 .Naslund

.Naslund

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

I would like it if he went to my second favorite team, Chicago :bigblush:
Posted Image

#98 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

I don't think that Lu would be a cap dump on Florida, they won't even consider trading him for less that a top 6 forward/top 4 dman + good prospect + pick. I can't see Lu just being thrown out to open up cap. He will have to bring back at least these pieces. I also think that it's still a possibility that he will come to training camp in a Canucks jersey.

You have the same unrealsitic sense of his value that Gillis apparently has.

#99 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

Luongo publicly said "it's time to move on" , why aren't people moving on?

#100 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

We aren't getting anybody stellar for Luongo. Maybe a reasonable roster player. As fans we should be happy about gaining 5.33M in cap space. Trade him for a song.

#101 Jagorim Jarg

Jagorim Jarg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

You mean what are the chances Edmonton doesn't tank like they always do and actually make the playoffs for once?

About the same as LU coming through for a whole playoff series... ZING!

No really, I love Lu, he must laugh his ass off reading this board

#102 Jagorim Jarg

Jagorim Jarg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

I swear, I'd love to hear what players think about our market, people say it's ridiculous to think fans/media can 'run a guy out of town' and I agree, however.. There has to be an effect, and for people who say Lu's a head-case, I would argue it's the fans who made him that way!

#103 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

I swear, I'd love to hear what players think about our market, people say it's ridiculous to think fans/media can 'run a guy out of town' and I agree, however.. There has to be an effect, and for people who say Lu's a head-case, I would argue it's the fans who made him that way!

The fans didn't turn Luongo into a headcase, the Blackhawks did in 2009, he hasn't been the same in the playoffs since.
I used to be a big Lu fan although I thought he was overrated when he came here from Florida. He then changed my mind, then 3 years of meltdowns happened and he changed my mind back.
I think most Canuck fans were a fan of his at some point but times change.

#104 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

Except Luongo no longer wants to play there. Schneider probably doesn't want to split time, but be a starting goalie, Gillis agreed to move Luongo, and i doubt ownership wants to write a paycheck of nearly $11M dollars to a goalie tandem.

It's foolish to expect someone who played 5-6 games a month TOPS to suddenly play 50-60 games a season and then still be able to put up all-star numbers and then even have a chance to do the same thing in the playoffs.

$11M for a Stanley Cup? Yeah, it's worth it.
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#105 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

It's foolish to expect someone who played 5-6 games a month TOPS to suddenly play 50-60 games a season and then still be able to put up all-star numbers and then even have a chance to do the same thing in the playoffs.

$11M for a Stanley Cup? Yeah, it's worth it.

and you know that how mr Expert ?????

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.