The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which scenario do you prefer regarding Luongo? Poll.

mperoni101

Luongo Scenario  

204 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think once Doan has made a decision (to those who think it is delusional to believe he may come to Vancouver, I actually think there is a reasonable possibility) - that will pretty much clarify what the Canucks are willing/able to take back in salary.

Personally, I'd like to see the Matthias, Petrovic, 2nd deal regardless - it's as good as the best Toronto would have to offer - Colborne, Franson, pick... and it allows Lu to go where he prefers. I don't see much potential of a top six upgrade coming from either Florida or Toronto and would rather have the solid third line center depth, young blueline prospect (who fits the Canucks bill), and a pick.

I think with the Canucks drafting Gaunce (and Mallet) and Bjugstad going back to University, the interest could shift towards the older, NHL ready Matthias, who would give them better depth immediately. I'm not sure what to think of his 10 goals, 14 assists - is he having trouble elevating his game as you suggest, or is he a young guy on a very low scoring team who is playing responsible two way hockey and hasn't necessarily shown his true potential? Those type of questions are what you get with young players, and who can really guarantee Bjugstad will be better...?

As far as Florida's payroll - that deal would only take Matthias' (850k) cap hit off, but in my mind, they get Luongo without giving up any of their A prospects or key roster players - and are trading young players at positions they have a lot of young depth - it's a fair compromise in my opinion (if anything, Canucks may expect more and Florida, being so prospect rich, and being so stingy with all their top prospects, may need to up the pick to a 1st...) Florida is also then free to move Theodore, taking another 1.5 from their roster (and adding a modest return).... their budget approach (yet deep pockets) will have to consider the playoff purse that Luongo could help 'pad' as a 'net' gain...

also...Florida can try to play the card that Luongo is only an upgrade and that they don't desperately need a goaltender, but on the other hand they have a guy who is a UFA in a year and in line for a raise based upon his recent performance, and a young prospect who is not only not ready, but has already had repeated injuries to his knees - not exactly a franchise that is set in goal - if anything, it may be their biggest question mark moving forward.

Well, i guess we differ on the definition of mediocrity. Mine doesn't include back to back president's trophies and a stanley cup final game 7 appearance, along with 3 strait years of being knocked out by only cup winners.

2012 we lost to the kings, kings won the cup

2011 we lost to boston, boston won the cup

2010 we lost to chicago, chicago won the cup

2009 honourable mention, 2nd round playoff appearance "Top 8 Finish".

But don't let me take away from your argument that our team is mediocre.

You want mediocre, try being a fan of Vancouver from 83 to 93, and then again from 95 to 2001...THAT fits my definition of mediocre.

Are you KIDDING ME Loungo being traded? Where did this come from? I cant believe this! I have been monitoring these boards for months and this the first I heard of this!

Cant imagine why the boards haven't over flowed with all kinds of conjecturing, ideas and personal views. I wish to commend you all for your restraint!

All Jesting aside lets just get something done so we can move on to critiquing the move to death :):)

I don't think that Lu would be a cap dump on Florida, they won't even consider trading him for less that a top 6 forward/top 4 dman + good prospect + pick. I can't see Lu just being thrown out to open up cap. He will have to bring back at least these pieces. I also think that it's still a possibility that he will come to training camp in a Canucks jersey.

Archived