The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

Sounds like your impatience is talking ;p

History will show Luongo is durable and consistent. I can't promise he won't be a distraction but I can say I'd be very surprised they can't operate in the same fashion as they have been for the past 2 years.

If the new CBA has an amnesty option that'd be a huge plus to his value.

Winning goalies

2012 Quick - just becoming elite (wasn't considered elite at the start of the season).

2011 Thomas - hot just for that year

2010 Niemi - defintion of average

2009 Fleury - elite but is currently struggling (aka Luongo style)

2008 Osgood - solid goalie throughout his career

2007 Giguire - hot then not now

2006 Ward - elite but is currently struggling

Aside from Quick in which somehow the dead puck era started creeping back...goalies post lock out ranged from average to a few elite. What do all of them have when they won?? Depth and a game-breaker.

Besides, a 41/41 split will only "prove further" Schneider's worth around the league and for Luongo, it could save his career with rest kind of like some players taking a year off. With patience, Schneider brings in instant in your face secondary scoring at the trade deadline and Luongo shuts the door. He wins a Cup and all this ends.

Let's not make Kypreos a prophesizing saint in "Luongo will never win a Cup". He sure won't with Florida or the Leafs. He just might with the Canucks.

I'm not a Luongo lover by any stretch of the imagination. I didn't even like it when he got signed to the albatross contract. I even commented that he dives around too much. But Luongo was not the sole reason we lost in the last 3 years.

Against Chicago...that team had depth all around at forwards and defencemen. Norris candidate in Keith.

Against Boston...where was the scoring and PP that dominated the regular season? And Boston had Chara.

Against LA...again...where was the scoring?? And LA had Doughty.

I do agree that either Schneider or Luongo should be traded before the start of the season. I just want the better return as I think Vancouver could win with both goalies.

As I stated, Luongo can still play but his technical ability is really flawed. It is why he lacks consistancy game to game. Schneider is more consistant because his technique, positional play, ability to move around the crease, rebound control....you name it are all better than Lou's. All of these factors contribute to better stats , playing for the same team.

Until posters can recognize the technical aspects of goaltending, they have a hard argument for Lou over Cory.Its easy to watch tv or live games and see the results. Hind sight is 20/20 but this position is about cause and effect, a fact that escapes most viewers.

As I stated, Luongo can still play but his technical ability is really flawed. It is why he lacks consistancy game to game. Schneider is more consistant because his technique, positional play, ability to move around the crease, rebound control....you name it are all better than Lou's. All of these factors contribute to better stats , playing for the same team.

Until posters can recognize the technical aspects of goaltending, they have a hard argument for Lou over Cory.Its easy to watch tv or live games and see the results. Hind sight is 20/20 but this position is about cause and effect, a fact that escapes most viewers.

Neither one of the goalies will like to split the games. Speaking of Luongo's value, that differs for every GM in the league I'm sure. It seems like certain fans and possibly Gillis are over-valuing Luongo which is why he has not been moved. Take a reasonable/modest return and get the guy out of town so we can carry on.

Tough to have confidence in Lu when in 2008-09 against the Hawks he had 2 games allowing 5 or more in a 6 games series loss, in 2009-10 he allowed 5 or more in 3 of the 6 games,,in 2010-11 he allowed 5 or more twice in 6 starts vs the Hawks and would have had 3 games with 5 or more against the Bruins in 7 games(pulled him once after allowing 4 in just over 2 periods)

Lu is just way to inconsistent to expect him to go through the playoffs without having at least 1 series where he allows 5 or more at least twice in a series.

I read this such that Washington is finally getting serious because they aren't ready to go all out with Holtby/Neuvirth.

I know many of you have talked yourself down with regards to Lou's trade value because no deal has happened yet but I am still in the camp that everyone will be mightily satisfied with the actual return. It wouldn't shock me if the deal was something akin to Johansson, Alzner, Ward for Luongo, Raymond.

So...let me get it right...trade off the goalie who is almost 1/2 a goal a game better than Lou? Who"s SP is better? Who gets paid a lot less? Who is younger? And technically miles better? Who has handled everything the Canucks have thrown at him? Did no one ever tell you that you build a team from the goal out? Although Lou can still play at a high level, he can't carry Schneiders hockey bag at this point in time !

I read this such that Washington is finally getting serious because they aren't ready to go all out with Holtby/Neuvirth.

I know many of you have talked yourself down with regards to Lou's trade value because no deal has happened yet but I am still in the camp that everyone will be mightily satisfied with the actual return. It wouldn't shock me if the deal was something akin to Johansson, Alzner, Ward for Luongo, Raymond.

Archived