Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2402 replies to this topic

#1321 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,971 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

Where have you been?

Gillis and Gillman have both said that Schneider is their guy many times. It's obvious Luongo is on his way out.

Can you provide the quotes then? I just tried some googling and here's what I got:

From Sportsnet on June 1st (http://www.sportsnet...hockey_hearsay/)

The Vancouver Province notes it’s been reported in lots of different places that Canucks GM Mike Gillis has been contacting general managers around the league about the possibility of moving veteran goalie Roberto Luongo without yet having signed Cory Schneider. Not surprisingly, he insists that is absolutely untrue.
“I haven’t contacted anyone with respect to Roberto at all,” said Gillis on Thursday. “I’ve had people call me and ask about him and I’ve told them that we haven’t made any decisions at all about the future of our goaltending. And that’s absolutely the truth.

Gillis on The Team 1040, late July (http://fansspeakout....ead.php?tid=800) :

Part III: The goalies and loose ends: Gillis says he's okay starting the year with Schneider and Luongo because they're both such freaking nice guys, a non-update on Eddie Lack who the Canucks see on the same career trajectory as Schneider (so Schneider should prepare for eventually being replaced?), and Gillis preaches patience with Canuck prospects he's drafted since taking over as GM 4 years ago proving once again he's got an optimist.

Gillis to the National Post, June 20th (http://sports.nation...ir-goaltenders/) :

"“Roberto has impressed me from the moment I met him. Regardless of how well he plays, there’s this notion that no matter how good it is, it isn’t good enough. And it’s baffling to me because I think the guy is just an outstanding player who’s an outstanding person.”

and here's Gilman to the Toronto Sun, June 21st (http://www.torontosu...ngo-looms-large) :

“Mike has had calls on both our goalies,” Gilman said. “To this point, it falls under the category of problems you don’t mind having. Better to have too many than not enough. Everyone thinks it’s pre-ordained that someone is going, but that scenario (keeping both) does exist.”
A unique way of settling the problem was suggested to Gilman, that Gillis keep Luongo and deal Schneider.
“I guess anything is possible,” he said.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any saying that Luongo was definitely going....

#1322 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,334 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

Can you provide the quotes then? I just tried some googling and here's what I got:

From Sportsnet on June 1st (http://www.sportsnet...hockey_hearsay/)

Gillis on The Team 1040, late July (http://fansspeakout....ead.php?tid=800) :

Gillis to the National Post, June 20th (http://sports.nation...ir-goaltenders/) :

and here's Gilman to the Toronto Sun, June 21st (http://www.torontosu...ngo-looms-large) :

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any saying that Luongo was definitely going....

See the link I posted on the last page.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#1323 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,971 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

Checked your link. Nothing there other than that one Luongo quote. I'm looking for quotes from management.

#1324 TRR

TRR

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

You didn't read my post properly. I said players LIKE those 4 + the pick. We obviously can't get all of them for Schneider as they aren't all on the same team.

And you didn't read mine either. I said "theoretically".

The point still stands that you think it would take

A consistent 30 goal scorer
One of the better bottom 6 forwards in the league
An all-star defenceman (Subban is better than top-4)
A former top 3 overall pick
And a first round pick

regardless of whether the players you mentioned are on the same team or not - the aforementioned is absolutely an absurd price for anyone, let alone Schneider.
Posted Image

#1325 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

More sense making. Good stuff.

Regarding the posters who argue that Luongo dug his own grave...

I think L.A. was deemed unbeatable due to the constant turnovers and sudden counter rushes. So in comes Schneider in order to increase his value.

Concerning Luongo: saying whatever helps the team when asked if he would waive his NTC might also include getting being replaced in favor of Schneider so as to showcase him and increase his value.

Also, his comments from Las Vegas sounds like he really doesn't give a flying f**k about the media and their stance.

Come game time, Schneider will be given ample games so as to make other GMs salivate at the mouth and therefore overpay in a trade.

Posted Image

Gillis - Hey Roberto, how is your summer going

Roberto - good

Gillis - can you do me a huge favor Roberto?

Roberto - K

Gillis - when you are interviewed at the porker tournement in Las Vegas can you maybe mention that you want out of Vancouver, say something like its time to move on yada yada.

Roberto - *blinks twice*

Gillis - hello?...

Roberto - ok

Gillis - great, this will increase Cory Schneiders value.

Click....*dialtone

Roberto - hello

Yeah, exactly, hahaha.

What a ridiculous interpretation of the situation. At least GHL only went on and on about WHY we should keep Lu, not that management along with Luongo are just tricking everyone until BAM, Schneider is worth all of team Canada.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#1326 Sensemaker

Sensemaker

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

Checked your link. Nothing there other than that one Luongo quote. I'm looking for quotes from management.

There are none.

#1327 Sensemaker

Sensemaker

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

Posted Image

Yeah, exactly, hahaha.

What a ridiculous interpretation of the situation. At least GHL only went on and on about WHY we should keep Lu, not that management along with Luongo are just tricking everyone until BAM, Schneider is worth all of team Canada.

By the way... Check out Luongo's stats when playing for Team Canada. That's the Luongo you get when fans support him.

#1328 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

By the way... Check out Luongo's stats when playing for Team Canada. That's the Luongo you get when fans support him.

That's the Luongo you get when you put all of the best canadian players in front of him in a two week tournament against several questionable opponents.

#1329 DD_Bwest

DD_Bwest

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

If he can only play well when he has "fan support" then he isnt an elite goalie.. and hes not someone you back your team with.. and only further proves that he needs to be traded.. your grasping at straws..

i know it sucks to have your favorite player traded away from your favorite team.. but this is getting kinda sad...

#1330 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

He was under scrutiny during the Olympics for questionable goals against, and shaky games. He was far from the reason we won gold.

I am no Luongo hater, although I would prefer to keep Schneider, and I definitely don't subscribe to ridiculous fantasies about players being involved in tricking everyone in the hockey world in to thinking one goalie is getting traded just to maximize return for the other.

That's just silly.

Posted Image

#1331 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,395 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

That's the Luongo you get when you put all of the best canadian players in front of him in a two week tournament against several questionable opponents.

Questionable? :huh:

The Olympics is the best a given country can offer....

The Oilers and Jackets are "questionable" opponents.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#1332 Sensemaker

Sensemaker

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

Not even Jesus could survive public scrutiny. Vancouver loves to crucify the line star.

Fans do have a major impact on players; they are not made of stone.

The pay scale is irrelevant unless you're the envious, jealous kind.

I think the pro-Schneider fans will be plaisantly upset when Schneiser is traded for the "final package" that puts Vancouver over the top.

I'm still waiting for that Gillis quote saying Luongo asked for a trade... Waiting... Waiting...

#1333 Sensemaker

Sensemaker

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

He was under scrutiny during the Olympics for questionable goals against, and shaky games. He was far from the reason we won gold.

I am no Luongo hater, although I would prefer to keep Schneider, and I definitely don't subscribe to ridiculous fantasies about players being involved in tricking everyone in the hockey world in to thinking one goalie is getting traded just to maximize return for the other.

That's just silly.

You're being absolutely unfair in your assessment.

He's a gold medalist FFS. Brought this team to a SCF; one of three in 40 years.

So what they lost. EVERYONE in North America was against the Canucks, even national media.

If I hit you on the head repetitively, you might not be able to do as well as if I praise and encourage you 100%. I for one am surprised he even was able to stay even keel for as long as he did.

And don't you dare blame Hamhuis' injury (our beat defenseman) or Rome's deflating suspension for the loss or Raymond's BROKEN BACK WITH NO BOSTON MEDIC HELPING HIM OFF HAVING TO BE CARRIED OFF THE ICE BY CANUCKS PLAYERS. Or last year's Sedin's absence. It would only make sense.

This place doesn't make sense. Give credit where it's due.

Edited by Sensemaker, 30 August 2012 - 09:37 PM.

#1334 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:09 PM

Not even Jesus could survive public scrutiny. Vancouver loves to crucify the line star.

I think the pro-Schneider fans will be plaisantly upset when Schneiser is traded for the "final package" that puts Vancouver over the top.

I'm still waiting for that Gillis quote saying Luongo asked for a trade... Waiting... Waiting...

It's not other people's fault that you haven't been following this saga. If you want a quote, go back through the 45 pages on it and find one.

Everyone else has moved on and are just waiting for a Luongo trade to go down because that's the decision that has been made. Whether it was by management or Luongo doesn't really matter at this point.

#1335 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

Were the 2010 winter Olympics in Cuba? Please remind me where the games were played again.
When Lu has the superior team he plays well,,when the teams are even in pressure games he is not good often enough. Funny how well he played in the Olympics, I guess them Cubans must have really been supportive,,,seems like they would be the same fans you say don't support him.

#1336 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

You disprove your own point. Why would we be keeping Luongo after his comments when he is just going to be "thrown to the lions" in the media and by fans. I am exadgerating, but I really don't see how you are helping yourself prove a point. You are complaining about fans throwing goalies under the bus, but trying to say this is why it's a good idea to keep Lu.
I don't get it.

You're being absolutely unfair in your assessment.

Show me the unfairness in my assessment.

Do you remember Lu stealing any games?

He's a gold medalist FFS. Brought this team to a SCF; one of three in 40 years.

Great, gold medalist. I am not hating on Lu. He did that, and it was awesome. He didn't steal the show or do anything crazy, but he won the gold medal on home soil in his home team's town.

He was a big part of our Stanley cup run, and did have a couple amazing series. He had some not so good series either, which can be blamed on or excused by other things. He has had shaky playoff appearances, and a couple emotional meltdowns, which I am sure having the media constantly peppering him with doubt didn't help. But, don't try to deny that he was in like a dirty shirt on our team's playoff meltdowns. Not your typical series loss, but meltdowns. Two Chicago series (almost three), one of which they were just better than us, plus Boston which had a lot of outside influences and a bunch of crapty injuries and calls. The LA series wasn't exactly a meltdown, because we were never really hot enough to melt anything.

Once again, I am not blaming Lu, but he hasn't shown that he is this magical beacon of amazingness that is yet merely a chrysalis of what he is yet to become.

Also, what does the number of cup appearances have to do with why Lu is so great for taking us to the final? Nothing. The achievement is nothing but that. A game 7 final appearance two years ago. It was phenomenal, and a lot of good goaltenders, and even some great ones never get there.

So what they lost. EVERYONE in North America was against the Canucks, even national media.

If I hit you on the head repetitively, you might not be able to do as well as if I praise and encourage you 100%. I for one am surprised he even was able to stay even keel for as long as he did.

Yes, that is what it felt like to us, and I'm sure they felt it too, but it's not like they all went home to turn on the sports replays. I nearly guarantee that they purposely didn't watch them to allow themselves to focus.

And don't you dare blame Hamhuis' injury (our beat defenseman) or Rome's deflating suspension for the loss or Raymond's BROKEN BACK WITH NO BOSTON MEDIC HELPING HIM OFF HAVING TO BE CARRIED OFF THE ICE BY CANUCKS PLAYERS. Or last year's Sedin's absence. It would only make sense.

This place doesn't make sense. Give credit where it's due.

I think you should reread the first sentence here to make sure that you are not contributing to the lack of sense being made here.

I give Lu more credit than you think, but I won't cry if he leaves. I would actually be happy with either goaltender as long as it seemed like we got the best deal for our team. Gillis will make the right move, which posturing says will be moving Lu.

And, for god's sake, stop twisting things to seem like Lu is somehow in on "pumping Schneider's tires ;)" by deflating his own. Come on.

Edited by WiDeN, 30 August 2012 - 10:34 PM.

Posted Image

#1337 Sensemaker

Sensemaker

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

Many believe Luongo will be traded.

Many believe Schneider will be traded.

Many are neutral on the matter.

So be it. Let's agree we disagree and that's it.

Nonetheless, only a few know what is really happening. The rest can only speculate.

Edited by Sensemaker, 30 August 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#1338 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:57 PM

Many believe Luongo will be traded.

Many believe Schneider will be traded.

Many are neutral on the matter.

So be it. Let's agree we disagree and that's it.

Nonetheless, only a few know what is really happening. The rest can only speculate.

I know about two members on this board who think Schneider is going. That's it.

This is what we do agree on:

Schneider has more value
We could probably get a top star for him
Luongo is a good goalie
Lu has been thrown under the bus like every other goalie that played here

Here's what we don't agree on:

Who management is actually trying to trade
The definition of the phrase "It's time to move on"
The affect on another player's value if one were to say "It's time to move on" or "I'll waive my NTC"
How much Gillis cares what the fans think
The effectiveness of tinfoil hats

You have made very little sense for someone named Sensemaker, and I don't think this is really an agree to disagree situation, because you've made a fantasy scenario and done nothing but back it up with strange speculations that satisfy what you've already decided must be up.

If Gillis hears a ridiculous offer for Schneider, then he might go, but barring a miracle, it is Luongo on the block, and you can go look at the other Luongo thread for all the updates and quotes so that you know this too.

Posted Image

#1339 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

The simple fact is that Van cannot have that much CAP space tied up in two players. One will be dealt.

I am in the Schneider camp going forward. For my tastes he is a better fundamental goaltender. However, as you suggested, Schneider might go instead. IMHO it is all about what comes back in such a deal vs what Lu might bring back. Management assessment of Lack comes to bear as well. If CS left then Lack moves into #2 on the depth chart.

As a long term Canuck fan I am simply enjoying the options that MG has vs what the Canucks have been able to do historically. The org is actually developing some depth which allows quality deals to be made rather than desperation trades.

I didn't like Lu's contract when it was signed but understood why MG did it. If Lu was ever to be moved for quality assets the time is now. It takes a long term contract off the books and makes the team younger. CS might be a bit of a gamble but all signs indicate he is more than capable.

#1340 Sensemaker

Sensemaker

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

The simple fact is that Van cannot have that much CAP space tied up in two players. One will be dealt.

I am in the Schneider camp going forward. For my tastes he is a better fundamental goaltender. However, as you suggested, Schneider might go instead. IMHO it is all about what comes back in such a deal vs what Lu might bring back. Management assessment of Lack comes to bear as well. If CS left then Lack moves into #2 on the depth chart.

As a long term Canuck fan I am simply enjoying the options that MG has vs what the Canucks have been able to do historically. The org is actually developing some depth which allows quality deals to be made rather than desperation trades.

I didn't like Lu's contract when it was signed but understood why MG did it. If Lu was ever to be moved for quality assets the time is now. It takes a long term contract off the books and makes the team younger. CS might be a bit of a gamble but all signs indicate he is more than capable.

I fully agree.

If Luongo can bring in top talent as Schneider would, then yes.

As you said, quality deals vs. desperate decisions. Gillis has Detroit type depth and he's sitting pretty. No rush either.

Schneider does have amazing skills. I just had to create an account so as to speak my mind because some posters here are bandwagon jumpers buying local media jibberish regarding the matter but most of all, showing utter disrespect for one of the greatest athletes to walk into town.

If anything, fan and media scrutiny could be the reason UFAs could chose to stay clear of signing with this franchise; not the actual team or it's location, as it seems to be the reason Luongo might want out.

Giving credit where it is due is my only complaint really.

In 2011, the whole team had a career year and went all the way only to lose in the final hour. It it is only normal that 90% of the team would be tired after a very short summer and the extra pressure put upon it by the opposition on a nightly basis, still receiving the President's Trophy along the way.

Whatever sound byte came out since the L.A. series does not equate in importance, the decision of trading one of the team's 1G.

So when some fans root for Schneider and cut Luongo's throat out of spite, I find it utterly ridiculous.

Edited by Sensemaker, 31 August 2012 - 08:58 AM.

#1341 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

Questionable? :huh:

The Olympics is the best a given country can offer....

The Oilers and Jackets are "questionable" opponents.

C'mon now.

Germany
Latvia
Switzerland
Norway
Belarus

Sorry, not much there.

#1342 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

Were the 2010 winter Olympics in Cuba? Please remind me where the games were played again.
When Lu has the superior team he plays well,,when the teams are even in pressure games he is not good often enough. Funny how well he played in the Olympics, I guess them Cubans must have really been supportive,,,seems like they would be the same fans you say don't support him.

Lu did have 36 shots against him in the gold medal match with the weight of a nation on his shoulders playing at home. Aside from maybe game 7 of the SCF's there isn't anything more pressure filled. While a player can make the odd mistake here and there, a goaltender has to play almost flawless under rediculous pressure. Is Lu the best goalie in the league? No? Is he top 10? Yes. Is Corey Schneider going to be better? Yes IMO. Vancouver fans are spoilt brats.
If an all star goalie is going to be traded, there will be a good player coming back.

#1343 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

Lu did have 36 shots against him in the gold medal match with the weight of a nation on his shoulders playing at home. Aside from maybe game 7 of the SCF's there isn't anything more pressure filled. While a player can make the odd mistake here and there, a goaltender has to play almost flawless under rediculous pressure. Is Lu the best goalie in the league? No? Is he top 10? Yes. Is Corey Schneider going to be better? Yes IMO. Vancouver fans are spoilt brats.
If an all star goalie is going to be traded, there will be a good player coming back.

Lu did play well in the olympics, he wasn't Herculian but was very adequate. Lu is almost alway adequate at home, If there was ever playoffs where we were guaranteed all the home games like the 2010 Olympics in Lu's home rink I would be fine, but in the NHL 1/2 the games are not in your home rink and your goalie sometimes has to be your best player by a mile on the road to steal a win. The amount of road games he has stolen in a small fraction of the games he has given up 5 or more on the road.
In the SCF Lu was 3-1 with a 1.25 GGA at home, and even with the injuries posted a shutout in game 6, but on the road he was 0-3 with a GGA over 8.

We have only been past round 2 once in Lu's 6 season and Lu had some horrendous meltdotwns that the team overcame once, but could not overcome again. In 2010-11 Lu in back to back games against Chicago where he allowed 10 goals in games 4-5 in 63 minutes of icetime, and against the Bruins in games 3-4 he allowed 12 goals in just over 100 minutes.
His goaltending was so bad we had no chance in them 2 games, making it that we needed to win 4-5 remain games to win them series.

#1344 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,752 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

I know about two members on this board who think Schneider is going. That's it.

I think it's the likeliest scenario that Luongo gets traded. That said I would not be entirely surprised if I got up one morning and turned on my car radio on my drive to work and heard: "Corey Schneider has been traded to ____ for ____ and ____".

Likely? No. Still possible? Absolutely, Nothing is written in stone at this point as far as any of us know. As such all of this speculating on both sides of the matter is just that. Speculation. For either of you to make claim of certainties is absurd.

Edited by J.R., 31 August 2012 - 10:05 AM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1345 Sensemaker

Sensemaker

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

I think it's the likeliest scenario that Luongo gets traded. That said I would not be entirely surprised if I got up one morning and turned on my car radio on my drive to work and heard: "Corey Schneider has been traded to ____ for ____ and ____".

Likely? No. Still possible? Absolutely, Nothing is written in stone at this point as far as any of us know. As such all of this speculating on both sides of the matter is just that. Speculation. For either of you to make claim of certainties is absurd.

This post is ridiculously making sense.
Read attentively young'ns!

Edited by Sensemaker, 31 August 2012 - 10:18 AM.

#1346 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

I fully agree.

If Luongo can bring in top talent as Schneider would, then yes.

As you said, quality deals vs. desperate decisions. Gillis has Detroit type depth and he's sitting pretty. No rush either.

Schneider does have amazing skills. I just had to create an account so as to speak my mind because some posters here are bandwagon jumpers buying local media jibberish regarding the matter but most of all, showing utter disrespect for one of the greatest athletes to walk into town.

If anything, fan and media scrutiny could be the reason UFAs could chose to stay clear of signing with this franchise; not the actual team or it's location, as it seems to be the reason Luongo might want out.

Giving credit where it is due is my only complaint really.

In 2011, the whole team had a career year and went all the way only to lose in the final hour. It it is only normal that 90% of the team would be tired after a very short summer and the extra pressure put upon it by the opposition on a nightly basis, still receiving the President's Trophy along the way.

Whatever sound byte came out since the L.A. series does not equate in importance, the decision of trading one of the team's 1G.

So when some fans root for Schneider and cut Luongo's throat out of spite, I find it utterly ridiculous.

Lu's body of work in Van stands by itself. When I said I preferred CS fundamentals more it was not a put down. Lu still has one of the best glove hands in the NHL.

#1347 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,395 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

C'mon now.

Germany
Latvia
Switzerland
Norway
Belarus

Sorry, not much there.

???

Luongo did play against Norway and Germany (GAA of 1.00, BTW) but he didn't face Switzerland, Latvia or Belarus. He did, however, play (and beat) Russia, Slovakia and the United States. He did not play the preliminary round loss against the US, nor the shootout win against the Swiss. That was Brodeur.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#1348 Sensemaker

Sensemaker

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

Lu's body of work in Van stands by itself. When I said I preferred CS fundamentals more it was not a put down. Lu still has one of the best glove hands in the NHL.

Oh my comments on fans and media was not directed to you in the least. It was by then, a general response.

It is obvious who on this site, respect Luongo and the few loud mouths who don't.

#1349 Sensemaker

Sensemaker

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

???

Luongo did play against Norway and Germany (GAA of 1.00, BTW) but he didn't face Switzerland, Latvia or Belarus. He did, however, play (and beat) Russia, Slovakia and the United States. He did not play the preliminary round loss against the US, nor the shootout win against the Swiss. That was Brodeur.

... who got replaced while Luongo was cheered and supported by a great Canadian crowd; not a vicious and vindictive Vancouver crowd.

Thanks for clarifying the FACTS.

Russia, USA and Slovakia had very good teams.

Edited by Sensemaker, 31 August 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#1350 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

People are losing their minds. I just want the Doan and Luongo sagas to be over. TSN and CBC have lowered Luongo's value due to their coverage. Other team's fans don't even see him as a starting goalie anymore. He is though and all the GM's aren't that stupid but some are. Cory can fetch as double what Luongo can. I like Schneider in net a lot more as he has that calm demeanor but OUR fans could get to him and ruin his game. So if Cory can get us a fantastic deal than trade him but if he doesn't trade Luo. And if no one gives us a good deal, keep both of them for now until we get into cap issues. We have another starting goaltender on the way in Lack anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.