Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2402 replies to this topic

#2341 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

Do you know who Joe Thornton is? He's pretty good. Arguably even more valuable to his team than Henrik is to his. This wouldn't be Ben Eager going to the penalty box with Henrik Sedin, it's Joe Thornton.

More support for my argument lies in the fact that 100% of you would tout Henrik's "fearlessness" and "leadership" had he have actually stood up for himself and engaged Thornton in a fight, like he should have.

Joe Thornton doesn't go to the penalty box if Henrik decks him. Joe Thornton goes on the power play with the rest of his team. Have you watched hockey before? Let me guess...you've watched hockey at a very high level right?

If Thorntons intention was to get Henrik off his game and Henrik takes him down or decks him how does Thornton get a penalty?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2342 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

Not much that I agree with you on but I do here. This isn't some school yard 'get along' exercise. It is establishing the mindset of being prepared to do what it takes to win. No one is suggesting that either Twin should be dropping the gloves. But neither should they stand and let another player pull that stunt. People were disgusted when Burrows bit Marchands finger but that was OK in my book. In Thorton's case I would give him the stick on the next shift (of course when the ref wasn't looking).

It is tough on the Twins because they haven't played hockey that way. It is only the last few years of their careers that they have had a serious shot at the CUP. This is new territory for them. A sign of their increased physical play was showing last season, particularly from Danny. Just prior to Keith's elbow Danny had laid a real nicce hit in the corner. It was more than a tap it was a solid hit.

Actually King is explicitly saying Henrik Sedin should have dropped the gloves.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2343 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

Actually King is explicitly saying Henrik Sedin should have dropped the gloves.

No I'm not. I'm saying that he should've given it right back to him, like any red-blooded male should/would when being so blatantly disrespected by somebody else.

And to your earlier point, NO, San Jose wouldn't have exclusively gotten a PP, the ref almost definitely would've taken both. Joe Thornton would not have allowed Henrik Sedin to do that to him, so he would've retaliated. But, nice try.

#2344 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

No I'm not. I'm saying that he should've given it right back to him, like any red-blooded male should/would when being so blatantly disrespected by somebody else.

And to your earlier point, NO, San Jose wouldn't have exclusively gotten a PP, the ref almost definitely would've taken both. Joe Thornton would not have allowed Henrik Sedin to do that to him, so he would've retaliated. But, nice try.

Once again trying to force your warped opinions on people. Try a bigger hammer, this ones not working, but you are getting the attention you crave. Wish I had your Crystal ball !

#2345 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

Re-writing history King? Your post that was quoted at the top of this page (#2336) clearly has you saying Henrik "should have" engaged Thornton in a fight.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#2346 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,136 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

Re-writing history King? Your post that was quoted at the top of this page (#2336) clearly has you saying Henrik "should have" engaged Thornton in a fight.

Don't bother pointing out things like that, he just ignores them anyway. How else would he be able to support his arguments? Better yet, how would he have an argument if we stopped feeding him?

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#2347 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

This really should shut him up but unfortunately for us I doubt it will
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#2348 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

Semantics - not the issue. Just do something. Shove your hand in his face. All that would likely happen is a face-washing, bear-hugging affair, anyway.

#2349 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

Semantics - not the issue. Just do something. Shove your hand in his face. All that would likely happen is a face-washing, bear-hugging affair, anyway.

Translation: I got caught contradicting myself yet again. Luckily, I can do my usual "semantics" thing and then switch to commenting on something that wasn't even being argued...

Edited by RUPERTKBD, 04 October 2012 - 01:38 PM.

Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#2350 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

C'mon Rupert...........you know better than to wander around here without your mind reading helmet on! ::D
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#2351 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,136 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

Translation: I got caught contradicting myself yet again. Luckily, I can do my usual "semantics" thing and then switch to commenting on something that wasn't even being argued...

Pretty much.

"My argument means nothing since it's all semantics anyway, so ignore it and focus on what's really important - that I'm right and your wrong."

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#2352 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

Roberto Luongo. Roberto Luongo. The thread is for Roberto Luongo. Not King of the ES's crazy rants.
Posted Image

#2353 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

Roberto Luongo. Roberto Luongo. The thread is for Roberto Luongo. Not King of the ES's crazy rants.

There's going to be zero news regarding Louie for the forseeable future, thanks to the lockout

Exposing King's myriad contradictions is what will pass for entertainment in the interim...

#2354 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

There's going to be zero news regarding Louie for the forseeable future, thanks to the lockout

Exposing King's myriad contradictions is what will pass for entertainment in the interim...

:lol:

If that makes you feel better, sure. Am I contradicting myself on the basis that I think Henrik should've grown a set and stood up for himself, rather than being immasculated at center ice in front of the world? Nope!

#2355 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,197 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

Insider Trading today. Talked about Luongo (right side of screen): http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/ontsn/#

Dreger basically said Canucks say there are 5 teams in the mix. He thinks Florida is still the front runner. But Florida needs Van to take money back, and Gillis won't do it. He said "Its been suggested Gillis would ultimately waive Roberto Luongo to avoid taking on that money But that sounds unlikely". Dreger thinks a Luongo deal will likely be done when a lockout is lifted.

Not sure how much I believe Dregs, he's been all over the map on the Lu situation.

Edited by RunningWild, 04 October 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#2356 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

Haha - days gone by and King still trying to school Henrik on manhood...

Dreger is just as predictable - still doing the Leafs bidding - five teams in the mix but "it's been suggested" (by what halfwit?) that Gillis could waive Luongo... part hilarious, part ridiculous, part sad contradiction trying to lower the price for brother Burkie and cousin Nonis. Dreger should just give it up - he isn't a credible source where the Canucks and Leafs are concerned. Although waiving Luongo would be preferable to his ludicrous Komisarek lowball, neither are gonna happen. Pretty much any outsider can see that Dreger is talking out his Larfsehole on this one.

Edited by oldnews, 04 October 2012 - 06:10 PM.

#2357 The Lock

The Lock

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

If that makes you feel better, sure. Am I contradicting myself on the basis that I think Henrik should've grown a set and stood up for himself, rather than being immasculated at center ice in front of the world? Nope!

Alright King of the Elementary School, I'll bite....

Not every player should have excess testosterone and start making idiotic moves like shoving a hand in a face. The result would likely be retaliation by the other player. This would continue to escalate. What you're implying seems to be for Henrik to play like Torres. If our skilled players played like this, we would be constantly in the penalty box.We would lose every game.

This isn't your dad's hockey anymore. The rules have changed. What you could get away with 10 years ago even you cannot get away with now.
This thread was really just a figment of your imagination...

#2358 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

He's just trying to sound like Don Cherry. We all know how many cups his infinite wisdom won him.

I'd like to see a guy like Kassian develop in to the Sedins' winger and use his mean side to keep the twins from having to push back, but under no circumstances should the Sedins be expected to be rough between whistles. That's not so smart. We're trying to keep Kesler and Burrows from doing that, cause it's not their role anymore. Why would we ask the twins to do it?

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#2359 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

Dreger is just as predictable - still doing the Leafs bidding - five teams in the mix but "it's been suggested" (by what halfwit?) that Gillis could waive Luongo... part hilarious, part ridiculous, part sad contradiction trying to lower the price for brother Burkie and cousin Nonis. Dreger should just give it up - he isn't a credible source where the Canucks and Leafs are concerned. Although waiving Luongo would be preferable to his ludicrous Komisarek lowball, neither are gonna happen. Pretty much any outsider can see that Dreger is talking out his Larfsehole on this one.

Not surprisingly, a disparaging piece of news to the Canucks' clearly awful negotiating position sparks a new conspiracy - Darren Dreger is somehow trying to screw over the Canucks to benefit his cousin.

Only in Vancouver.

Oldnews, out of curiosity, does this news item make you at least question the valuation that you've put on Luongo, throughout this thread, or is this really a conspiracy by Dreger to somehow persuade Mike Gillis to trade him to the Leafs on the cheap? Think about it.

#2360 The Lock

The Lock

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

Not surprisingly, a disparaging piece of news to the Canucks' clearly awful negotiating position sparks a new conspiracy - Darren Dreger is somehow trying to screw over the Canucks to benefit his cousin.

Only in Vancouver.

Oldnews, out of curiosity, does this news item make you at least question the valuation that you've put on Luongo, throughout this thread, or is this really a conspiracy by Dreger to somehow persuade Mike Gillis to trade him to the Leafs on the cheap? Think about it.

Why would it make him question the valuation?
This thread was really just a figment of your imagination...

#2361 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

King, you so crazy. Jumbo Joe called and said you left something at his place last night.
Posted Image

#2362 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:31 AM

Why would it make him question the valuation?

Because he's been arguing this whole time that Luongo's elite, and, thus, the return will also be elite. My argument has been that market forces have put us in a very low-leverage bargaining position and we should not be expecting that sexy of a return - which Dreger, evidently, agrees with, and he's now been hilariously labeled as anti-Canuck because of it.

Edited by King of the ES, 05 October 2012 - 03:31 AM.

#2363 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

Well, actually, if the lockout makes us lose a year of hockey, then we have a lot more potential suitors for Luongo.

http://www.capgeek.c...-1&fa_type_id=2

Backstrom, Howard, Smith, Thomas, and many more are set to become free agents.

Knowing Gillis, I would be surprised if we accepted a low ball offer for Luongo.

Lu is better than most team's starters, and I'd be quite surprised if he is traded for a less than acceptable return. That's not MG's MO.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#2364 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

Well, actually, if the lockout makes us lose a year of hockey, then we have a lot more potential suitors for Luongo.

That could be looked at either way. This crop of FAs that you've referenced might be reason enough for a team like Toronto to step aside on Luongo out of the hope that they could sign a guy like Mike Smith (from Kingston, ON) with no expenditure but money.

#2365 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

How was the Great Depression when you were growing up in the deep south?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2366 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Because he's been arguing this whole time that Luongo's elite, and, thus, the return will also be elite. My argument has been that market forces have put us in a very low-leverage bargaining position and we should not be expecting that sexy of a return - which Dreger, evidently, agrees with, and he's now been hilariously labeled as anti-Canuck because of it.

If you really look at the situation objectively, Joe Thornton acted poorly. His antics and lack of finish are what has caused his slow descent into normalcy in the NHL. Putting his finger in Henrik's face is something even kids in bantam hockey wouldn't do. It was a cheap and cowardly move.

Henrik had a decision to make.
  • He could fire a couple of shots into Thorntons oblong mug and get a five minute penalty for instigating. We all know how tough Thornton is.
  • He could bat his hand away, brush it off, and beat the Sharks were it counts.
Henrik chose wisely. He acted like a man, and not some testosterone fueled goof. He saw that Thornton's actions were coming from a place of jealousy and utter stupidity and chose not to wade in the muck with him. Also Jumbo was probably still sore from the physical punishment he endured from Torres and others during the Canucks/Sharks playoffs the year previous.

I hope though that the Canucks are keeping score and will settle Thornton and Keith when the season resumes.
Posted Image

#2367 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

Knowing Gillis, I would be surprised if we accepted a low ball offer for Luongo.

Lu is better than most team's starters, and I'd be quite surprised if he is traded for a less than acceptable return. That's not MG's MO.

Reality is Lu will also be another year older as well. Lu would be 35 during the 1st season back if there is a lost season. History shows Lu is not good with time off. The season before the lockout is 03-04 Lu had his best ever save % and good gaa for that time of 2.43, but after the lockout was .17 save % worse and over 1/2 a goal a game worse at 2,97, which is the worst season Lu has had by a sifgnificant margin. Last year Lu was far from being elite, so to think he will rebound after a lost season at 34-35 is very wishful thinking. Last lockout Lu was playing for Florida and had less distractions and did not have a lifetime contract, now he plays very far from home and has children and has no contract to ever play for again.
Who thinks Schneirder isn't training like a bugger and studying players tendencies and studying the game. Who thinks Lu is somewhat training and plays more poker than studies players?

#2368 Rivera

Rivera

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

Lp

#2369 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

Only in Vancouver.

Nice keyword you chose - "conspiracy" - surprise, king resorts to embellishment - if there were a list of blatant embellishers on CDC, you'd be the posterboy.
Which part should make me reconsider king? - the five suitors part, or the waivers part? Most people could smell the immense contradiction. Look, Dreger's been singing the same song all along. Why would I question my valuation? Imo, I've proposed some reasonable hockey trades, all things considered, but then again you aren't terribly adept at responding to what people actually say are you?

Leave it to you to be looking for a "sexy" return. I wouldn't know or care what that might mean - I'd just like to see a player/prospect or two at positions of interest who can play the game.
The rest is par for the course with you - manipulative and creative paraphrasing.

Edited by oldnews, 05 October 2012 - 09:40 PM.

#2370 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

If you really look at the situation objectively, Joe Thornton acted poorly. His antics and lack of finish are what has caused his slow descent into normalcy in the NHL. Putting his finger in Henrik's face is something even kids in bantam hockey wouldn't do. It was a cheap and cowardly move.

Henrik had a decision to make.

• He could fire a couple of shots into Thorntons oblong mug and get a five minute penalty for instigating. We all know how tough Thornton is.
  • He could bat his hand away, brush it off, and beat the Sharks were it counts.
Henrik chose wisely. He acted like a man, and not some testosterone fueled goof. He saw that Thornton's actions were coming from a place of jealousy and utter stupidity and chose not to wade in the muck with him. Also Jumbo was probably still sore from the physical punishment he endured from Torres and others during the Canucks/Sharks playoffs the year previous.

I hope though that the Canucks are keeping score and will settle Thornton and Keith when the season resumes.

in full agreement other than i dont think jumbo joe is even worth it....as torts says: whats joe won?....at least keith has some accolades as a player due to him.....id like to see keith get whats due, but i dont think the canucks as dressed are that team. ill be satisfied to see joe continue to lose whilst behaving like a chump.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.