The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

This whole Luo thing reminds me of the whole Bieksa thing a few years ago when everyone was positive he was going to be traded. I'm now putting my money on Luo being a Canuck for at least 2 more years.

And to everyone who say Luo is being an [insert hate here] - these quotes of his from the media aren't statements released to the press via an agent or someone in PR, they're answers to questions asked by reporters like "If the Nucks asked, would you waive your NTC?" or "where would you like to be traded too?". Only you don't get to see the questions, just the sound bite responses taken out of context and blown up by hyperactive fans and a media with nothing better to do then feed the masses.

And that first question, that started this whole fiasco, Luo's answer wasn't "I demand a trade out this hell hole now!", it was... well, I can't find the exact quote, but I thought more to the point of being "I'd be willing to waive my NTC if it is whats best for the team"

The team does / did need a shake up, for exactly these reasons

Danny's injury being nailed by Kieth seemed to rally the team; problem was we were shooting with pop guns with Danny & Kes injured and missing bigger bodies like Torres (and Erhoff to move the puck out of our end before L.A. came hammering) come play off time.

Lou, with his needing his tires pumped attitude will be a great start! And hopefully we get some gunpowder back in return!

It was like 1 day after the season Lu came out and said it was time to move on. It took Cory to take over for 3 whole games and Lu wanted out. I think the team Lu has not has his heart in Van this past season and his and the teams performance reflected that.

How exactly is he a "quitter"?

The Vancouver Canucks chose Cory Schneider over him. Luongo was taken out after game 2, never to play again. Vancouver made it totally obvious that he had lost his starting job to younger, cheaper Cory Schneider. This has nothing to do with Roberto Luongo "quitting".

This ALL could've been avoided had Mike Gillis just got his act together and traded Schneider at some point between when Luongo signed the extension and the trade deadline of 2012. Unfortunately, for us, to no avail. And now, we're here.

Blame GILLIS, not Luongo.

Dream on bud, if Schneider wins the cup it will be because of the team infront of him, Luongo will take the Panthers or Leafs further than Schneider would with either of those teams. Luongo's the best goaltender in franchise history, and as sad as it will be to see him go, I'm happy he gets to leave a city that treated him like trash, im happy he's moving on. Right now for the first time in my life, Im a bigger supporter of a player (Luongo) than my own team. I've been a fan since 1999, when he was drafted, and dreamt of the day he would wear Canucks colors, and it happened, I dropped to the ground at work and almost started crying I was so happy. Eddie Lack will be the new fan favorite after Schneider faulters, I guarantee it, the fans will do the same thing to Cory that they did to Roberto. Face it, the majority of season ticket holders in this city are not knowledgable enough about the game. You go down to a game you see these morons on their phones talking business instead of watching the game, then when Luongo lets in a goal he's "crap". I will support Luongo wherever he goes, and will most likely buy another jersey of his, I already have it in our home blue. Im not wishing Schneider to faulter, but I will be hard on him just like people were on Luongo, very hard, as in if we lose a game Im gonna blame him cause people blamed Luongo the same way, then we'll see how people feel.

How is he acting unprofessionally? We were eliminated in April. Mike Gillis has had ample time to solve this situation for EVERYONE'S benefit.

Jordan Staal said "no thanks" to a contract extension in Pittsburgh, and was sent to Carolina, WHERE HE WANTED TO GO, the very next day. Mike Gillis could learn something from Ray Shero, methinks. You can either deal with something, and move on, or you can brood over it for days, weeks, months, and let it grow into a monster distraction. I'll take the former.

How is he acting unprofessionally? We were eliminated in April. Mike Gillis has had ample time to solve this situation for EVERYONE'S benefit.

Jordan Staal said "no thanks" to a contract extension in Pittsburgh, and was sent to Carolina, WHERE HE WANTED TO GO, the very next day. Mike Gillis could learn something from Ray Shero, methinks. You can either deal with something, and move on, or you can brood over it for days, weeks, months, and let it grow into a monster distraction. I'll take the former.

Dream on bud, if Schneider wins the cup it will be because of the team infront of him, Luongo will take the Panthers or Leafs further than Schneider would with either of those teams. Luongo's the best goaltender in franchise history, and as sad as it will be to see him go, I'm happy he gets to leave a city that treated him like trash, im happy he's moving on. Right now for the first time in my life, Im a bigger supporter of a player (Luongo) than my own team. I've been a fan since 1999, when he was drafted, and dreamt of the day he would wear Canucks colors, and it happened, I dropped to the ground at work and almost started crying I was so happy. Eddie Lack will be the new fan favorite after Schneider faulters, I guarantee it, the fans will do the same thing to Cory that they did to Roberto. Face it, the majority of season ticket holders in this city are not knowledgable enough about the game. You go down to a game you see these morons on their phones talking business instead of watching the game, then when Luongo lets in a goal he's "crap". I will support Luongo wherever he goes, and will most likely buy another jersey of his, I already have it in our home blue. Im not wishing Schneider to faulter, but I will be hard on him just like people were on Luongo, very hard, as in if we lose a game Im gonna blame him cause people blamed Luongo the same way, then we'll see how people feel.

As if the whole fanbase turned on Luongo after a bad game or two, WRONG. Some of us turned on him after the 3 years of inconsistent to terrible playoff performances, and even after that he still has die-hard fans like yourself.

You intend to rake Cory over the coals if he loses a game? You will be treating him far more harshly than anyone ever treated Luongo. At least Luongo got 3 lousy series against Chicago and losing the Stanley Cup on home ice before fans and management decided that Cory was the better option in net.

Archived