Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

One way colonization mission to Mars, 2023 - Mars One

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#31 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:27 AM

Old idea but an interesting one.

Legitimate scientists have suggested a one way mission to Mars would not only be more feasible for design reasons but that it would also have greater scientific benefits. Learning about other planets can largely be done with robots and probes. However, one goal of manned missions to heavenly bodies is to learn how to colonize space. Long term or one way missions inherently necessitate understanding and honing the skills necessary to accomplish this.
Scientists such as Carl Sagan have suggested that these skills will be absolutely vital to the long term survival of our species. That is, the colonization of space will mean that we are not forced to keep all our eggs in one basket.

All that being said, I have serious doubts about the ability of this particular iteration of the idea to succeed.
Posted Image
"It felt almost like it was a dream," Burrows said of his game-winner.
"But guys jumped on me and I couldn't breathe, so I knew it was right."

#32 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,806 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:00 AM

^^^ This

How does one get there name into that lottery? I'd totally take a one way trip to mars!

\Sadly you'd be rejected as applicants must know the proper usage of there, their and they're as well as your and you're. This is very important on Mars.

#33 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,033 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

I'm pretty sure they'll only be opening the applications to people in specific fields. I doubt they'll just take any joe schmoe off the street, maybe in the future when a base camp is completely established and they are ready to increase the population (though they may just do that through copulation and breeding among themselves)

#34 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:42 AM

I once watched a documentary about this on The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror X. Really interesting.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#35 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,668 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:44 AM

when can i start nominating people for eviction consideration? I got a list of people i want to be sent to mars.

I second that!

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

cdc-unavailable.jpg

#36 Spitfire_Spiky

Spitfire_Spiky

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

I'm in as long as I can still get updates on the Nucks
Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest

#37 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,336 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

They need and are looking for 6 billion dollars for the project...
Hah! Shove it up yours!
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#38 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,349 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

Posted Image

Acme Ray Guns are okay....

...but the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator is the way to go...

...perfect for getting rid of pesky earthlings, especially when they're obstructing your view of Venus...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#39 Totes McGoats

Totes McGoats

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

6 billion is only .90 cents for every person on earth to contribute...... And if we weren't spending trillions on war, this project would have already left.

#40 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,349 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

6 billion is only .90 cents for every person on earth to contribute...... And if we weren't spending trillions on war, this project would have already left.

I'm in. Heck, I'll even kick in a Loonie....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#41 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

I'm pretty sure they'll only be opening the applications to people in specific fields. I doubt they'll just take any joe schmoe off the street, maybe in the future when a base camp is completely established and they are ready to increase the population (though they may just do that through copulation and breeding among themselves)

Or portals. That would be pretty cool.

#42 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

Yeah, it sounds like a great idea. That is until season 1 ratings fizzle out and season two introduces a new cast of washed up celebrities.

There's no way I'm sharing my bunk with Lisa Lampanelli for the rest of my life.

#43 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

I wouldnt jump on that flight just yet. Could just be a pile of dust and rocks with nothing new except the idea. In other words it could really suck to sPend the rest of your life there.

Edited by Special Ed, 08 August 2012 - 07:53 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#44 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

This is a step for humanity. They will risk their lives in hopes we can find a feasible way to live and survive on another planet, 'cause the one we have now doesn't have much time left.

#45 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

This is a step for humanity. They will risk their lives in hopes we can find a feasible way to live and survive on another planet, 'cause the one we have now doesn't have much time left.

The earth will be fine. It's humanity's time that's limited.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.