The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who should get credit for the Canucks current success Burke/Nonis or MG?

vcr1970

Burke and/or Nonis are responsible for the following players on the team:

Sedin

Sedin

Luongo

Schneider

Kesler

Burrows

Bieksa

So basically your top two lines, both of your goalies and a key defenseman...................I'd say MG loses this race. What do you think?

MIke Gillis. Stupid question. Our Franchise failed under Brian Burke, and Dave Noniis. Keep in mind Dave Nonis had the same core of players and he missed the playoffs twice.

It's funny how you guys had to mention Brian Burke. YOu guys made it sound like he magically got the Sedins, but keep in mind, the reason why we were able to draft one of them was because our team sucked garbage.

Mike gillis. Not taking any credit away from Brian Burke or DAve Nonis, but honest I think Mike Gillis, is a superior gm over all of them. Very impressive.

I don't know...Burke and Nonis acquired most of our core players but Gillis was the one who resigned them. Gillis also brought in Hamhuis - sure, he may have came here anyway but I think that fact that GIllis got the owners to spend so much money on making the franchise better (sleep doctors, renovated changing room etc.) helped bring in Hamhuis to the organization.

I also think that Gillis deserves more credit for bringing in Sundin. Okay, he may have been overpaid but after Sundin came our players (especially he core players) really developed A LOT and many had breakout seasons. Coincidence? I think not. I say that Sundin had a positive effect on our players, we can't always look at stats....

Blah blah blah it's been nearly a decade since Burke was GM. All Nonis did was keep the status quo. Gillis changed the dynamic of the team. He made the Sedins the key players. All of the behind the scenes stuff was put in by Gillis. He has had a few hiccups, but overall the team is much better because of Mike.

Look around the league and be happy for the GM, Coach, and Owners the Canucks have.

I was thinking about this after I posted. A Managers job is to get the best results out of the employees and situation you're in. Burke and Nonis did not get the same type of production out of the available assets that Gillis has.

IMO Gillis maximizes his available assets.

you forgot Edler on your list that was there before MG. Everybody knows the key players on the canucks, and the face of the franchise, are almost all from the Burke/ Nonis era. The main accomplishment of MG has been in the other aspects of running a franchise and that has made the canucks the go-to franchise for all free agents, especially the BC boys. Look at the list of free agents we got under MG, to name the key ones: Garrisson, Strum, Malhotra, Hamhuis, Samuelsson, Sundin, Torres. And I would say all of them signed here at a discount to be with the top organization in the league.

I agree with most of your list Coastal1 but Sundin (10 Million), Garrison ($5,000,000??? or something like that) and Malhotra ($2,500,000) definitely didn't take discounts to come here.

When it comes to spending MG is a bit out there, but power to him for going after what he wants and needs.

Archived