The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Going overboard with the 2nd amendment

TowelPower12

starting to become really happy that i don't live in the US...another piece of garbage

http://www.inquisitr.com/287226/door-to-door-lobster-salesman-killed-kenneth-roop-nicholas-rainey/

Authorities say a Florida man selling frozen lobster tails and steaks door-to-door Wednesday afternoon was shot and killed after venturing onto the property of a gun-toting madman.

According to WTSP, Kenneth Bailey Roop, 52, of Cape Coral, has been arrested and charged with Manslaughter in the shooting death of Nicholas Rainey, 30, of Fort Myers.

Recounting the story to police following the incident, Roop said that upon arriving to his home on SW 30th Terrace, he saw the victim and yelled from the car window, “What are you doing in my yard?” To which he claims Rainey responded, “I’m here with meat,” as he came at the suspect.

Roop said he became “more than a little nervous” as Rainey, an employee of Blue Ribbon Steak and Seafood, walked down the driveway toward his truck and appeared to have something in his hand.

As Rainey drew within 4 feet, Roop grabbed his 9mm Glock from his pocket and fired once, striking Rainey in the shoulder, he told police. Rainey fell to the ground, screaming, ‘You shot me,’ in what Roop described as an “antagonistic” manner, according to the report.

Roop said he fired a second shot in the man’s head. When asked why, he told police “for effect.”

Roop later told police he was still in fear of the man, even as he was falling to the ground because he believed Rainey was reaching for something.

The Fort Myers News-Press reports neighbor Gene Snyder heard the gunshots and went to help the victim, who was on the ground in front of the home.

What happened next, he said, was horrifying.

“I went to bend over to help the guy on the ground, the victim, and out of the garage I heard something: ‘I’ll kill everybody or shoot everybody,’ Snyder said.

That’s when an off-duty Collier County corrections deputy showed up and ordered Roop to the ground.

“Thank God for the Collier County sheriff’s (deputy), she probably saved my life and everybody else’s life that was in the area,” Snyder explained.

Kenneth Roop, who is described as crazy by neighbors, has a concealed weapons permit and 14 firearms. Following the shooting, Roop told police he has three no trespassing signs on his property and Rainey “should have respected that.”

His next court appearance is scheduled for August 27th.

Canadians can't hold concealed handguns. Americans can. I think.

GC stats got 2.4% of ALL crimes as gun-related, in 2006. Wikipedia's got 60% of American homicides being gun-related. Different scopes, but that U.S. stat is pretty extreme.

From Wiki, 2009 stats

In the United States in 2009 United Nations statistics record 3.0 intentional homicides committed with a firearm per 100,000 inhabitants; for comparison, the figure for the United Kingdom, with very restrictive firearm laws (handguns are totally prohibited, for example) was 0.07, about 40 times lower, and for Germany 0.2."

3 per 100,000 people in the US is around 10,000 a year

Archived