The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommend Me a Book

Anybody have recommendations for books like Into The Wild? I've been meaning to read again during my spare time but I haven't done so in so long I don't know what's really that good anymore. I'm not much for fantasy/adventure books, I enjoy ones that are just about life and stuff. If anybody could recommend a book, that'd be great! Thanks

Some good recommendations in this thread that I'll definitely have to check out.

Tennis fans should check out both of Serena Williams's books as well as Rafael Nadal's.

And for non sports, has anyone read the Fifty Shades trilogy? I just finished them (read them on iBooks) and they were really good. I've never read "adult romance" novels before but really enjoyed these.

Anybody have recommendations for books like Into The Wild? I've been meaning to read again during my spare time but I haven't done so in so long I don't know what's really that good anymore. I'm not much for fantasy/adventure books, I enjoy ones that are just about life and stuff. If anybody could recommend a book, that'd be great! Thanks

John Carlos - The Sports Story That Changed The World

John Carlos is an African American former track and field athlete and professional football player, and a founding member of the Olympic Project for Human Rights. He won the bronze-medal in the 200 meters race at the 1968 Summer Olympics, where his Black Power salute on the podium with Tommie Smith caused much political controversy. He went on to equal the world record in the 100 yard dash and beat the 200 meters world record. After his track career, he enjoyed brief stints in the National Football League and Canadian Football League but retired due to injury. He became involved with the United States Olympic Committee and helped to organize the 1984 Summer Olympics. He later became a track coach at a high school in Palm Springs, where he now resides. He was inducted into the USA Track & Field Hall of Fame in 2003.

Wildly overrated, I just didn't get the hype. With the first book it was boring for the fist half, the second's er...boring-ness lasted almost 3/4 of the book, and in the case of the 3rd, the action didn't pick up until, like, the last 100 pages, along with the fact that they were written in present tense (something near unforgivable in my opinion). Honestly, the only thing that these books had going for them was that they had a good idea behind them.

Hey, I'm gonna hijack this thread for a sec. My brother is a big reader, and I'm planning on getting him a book for his birthday. He's turning 13 and his favorite books have been the Alex Rider, Artemis Fowl, and Percy Jackson and The Olympians books. Any ideas?

Ok well none of the above. However I do think you should try the first 2 and the trilogy.

Anyway the best sports books I have read are. I haven't read many in truth.

Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby (saw the film which wasn't as good)

A River Runs through It by Norman McLean. Ok it's about fishing.......and growing up but it is a great, if short, read.

The Damned United by David Peace

The Grudge by Tom English (an epic book about character, national identity and two team's will to win. It helped that I lived through it and witnessed it at the time.)

The only books I have read on Music are.

The Commitments by Roddy Doyle

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby (I also saw the film, which wasn't as good)

Archived