The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christy Clark's Religion Comments Spark Criticism From B.C. Atheists

Sharpshooter

Invoking the Bible for votes??

:picard:

Give your soul to God Christy, because your $3,267-Oyster-eating-on-the-public-dime's ass belongs to the BC voters shortly.

Let me guess, the Endbridge Pipeline was ordained from God eh Christy? Moron....or is it Mormon? Hard to tell which label of stupidity to categorize her in.

:lol: at atheists. - From an atheists.

Oh no! She said something.. Lets not respect her belief...

Face it Christianity/Catholicism have played a pretty large role in Canadian politics since the start of this country.

How about our anthem:

"O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee."

To make a big deal over this is ludicrous and silly Sharpshooter. As far as I'm concerned she can believe whatever she wants as long as she doesn't make us all forced to become Christians.

Those weren't the words I grew up with........they added "God keep our land" when they adopted Oh Canada as the official anthem for Canada. Prior to 1980 the words (that I grew up singing) were

O Canada, glorious and free

We stand on guard, we stand on guard for thee

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee

That's how I sing it to this day

Good for Christy Clark. It's good to have something positive for one to reach out to when in times of trial. The origin for the name Christy, even means, "of Christ". She's living up to her name for what she personally believes in.

Atheists always have something to b!tch about. Many on this board are no different. Always a disgusting attitude towards all things religion. It's one thing not to agree with her beliefs, it's another thing to attack, criticize & mock them when they clearly are in no position to do so.

The ironic thing is, she by no means is the first Premier to use religion. Bill Vander Zalm's "Biblical Garden" he had built comes to mind. Canada & The US as a whole, were built on religious beliefs and still obviously incorporate them today. After the Colorado shootings, The president read from the Bible on television, calling a time for prayer & reflection. Nobody dared to publicly criticise that. Many interviewed cite their faith in God in help them through things, for guidance & direction, because sometimes that's all one has.

So many people blame and bash religion constantly for what is wrong with the world, when it's just as much of the loud-mouth finger-pointing, negative attitude about it that adds fuel to the fire. If all the outspoken atheists can do is put-down and talk garbage about these things and the people that believe it, how on earth is that helping any? It's not, it's just giving other people headaches.

I hate to disappoint the atheists that actually care about something so trivial and petty such as this, but this is nothing new, and religion will never go away. As long as the world turns, it will be there, and people in major influential power will use it.

Good for Christy Clark. It's good to have something positive for one to reach out to when in times of trial. The origin for the name Christy, even means, "of Christ". She's living up to her name for what she personally believes in.

Atheists always have something to b!tch about. Many on this board are no different. Always a disgusting attitude towards all things religion. It's one thing not to agree with her beliefs, it's another thing to attack, criticize & mock them when they clearly are in no position to do so.

The ironic thing is, she by no means is the first Premier to use religion. Bill Vander Zalm's "Biblical Garden" he had built comes to mind. Canada & The US as a whole, were built on religious beliefs and still obviously incorporate them today. After the Colorado shootings, The president read from the Bible on television, calling a time for prayer & reflection. Nobody dared to publicly criticise that. Many interviewed cite their faith in God in help them through things, for guidance & direction, because sometimes that's all one has.

So many people blame and bash religion constantly for what is wrong with the world, when it's just as much of the loud-mouth finger-pointing, negative attitude about it that adds fuel to the fire. If all the outspoken atheists can do is put-down and talk garbage about these things and the people that believe it, how on earth is that helping any? It's not, it's just giving other people headaches.

I hate to disappoint the atheists that actually care about something so trivial and petty such as this, but this is nothing new, and religion will never go away. As long as the world turns, it will be there, and people in major influential power will use it.

Sharp while I obviously will agree 100% with your post I feel I must say that the fear of speaking out when they see something is amiss due to religion is a major issue I have with a lot of atheists...We are really not that small of a minority when you think about it...and if every single one of us would raise our voices when there are issues such as this one, or any other kind of injustice due to religious pandering, we may actually be able to DO something about it instead of blogging about it on the internet or kicking back, reading God Is Not Great, among others, nodding our heads in agreement, but not having the balls to stand up and say "We're as mad as hell, and we're not going to take this anymore" weakens our position a great deal...If we want to actually cause a viable change in the apparent stranglehold the major religions have over a lot of world governments...we HAVE to start being more pro-active about it.

:lol: at atheists. - From an atheists.

Oh no! She said something.. Lets not respect her belief...

Face it Christianity/Catholicism have played a pretty large role in Canadian politics since the start of this country.

How about our anthem:

"O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee."

To make a big deal over this is ludicrous and silly Sharpshooter. As far as I'm concerned she can believe whatever she wants as long as she doesn't make us all forced to become Christians.

I'm not religious? Maybe the difference between you and I, is I'm not a sensitive ignorant person who doesn't respect people's beliefs. But too say her policies are all based on religion or will be, is a stupid statement.

Either way you're probably a hypocrite, someone who you have voted for previously has most likely been religious as well. Who knows, maybe you'll be voting NDP and I respect that but maybe Adrian Dix is a christian too, I know his wife is a pretty big christian.

Sharp while I obviously will agree 100% with your post I feel I must say that the fear of speaking out when they see something is amiss due to religion is a major issue I have with a lot of atheists...We are really not that small of a minority when you think about it...and if every single one of us would raise our voices when there are issues such as this one, or any other kind of injustice due to religious pandering, we may actually be able to DO something about it instead of blogging about it on the internet or kicking back, reading God Is Not Great, among others, nodding our heads in agreement, but not having the balls to stand up and say "We're as mad as hell, and we're not going to take this anymore" weakens our position a great deal...If we want to actually cause a viable change in the apparent stranglehold the major religions have over a lot of world governments...we HAVE to start being more pro-active about it.

Yes.

If she's informing her decisions that affect your life as a British Columbian based on her version of Christianity or her interpretation of the Bible, then she's forcing her religious values on you...and you should be concerned about that.

Raising this issue is making a big deal out of nothing, and can only be seen as an ad hominem waste of time until something can be substantiated that this person actually has or intends to use their position as a policy maker for a diverse populace to implement their own religious beliefs. Until then, who gives a **** about what they think?

Archived