Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Canucks Army Prospect Profiles, Top 20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
119 replies to this topic

#31 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

I think there is a chance we could get a top player next summer...
http://capgeek.com/f...-1&fa_type_id=2

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#32 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

While there are some big names on that list, the only ones that could "replace" the Sedins once they leave would be Perry and Getzlaf. There rest are more so complimentary players or are in the same age group as the Sedins

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#33 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

I started a thread some months ago about Alex Freisen. He was a player I loved to read about and his thirst for work and ability to lead by example was impressive.
He amongst all of the names above is THE player who does not deserve to have any limitations placed on his career.
I think Alex will be a real impact player because he has that hunger. He will start by lighting up the Wolves and will be in the team within 2 years max.
Kevin.jpg

#34 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

Clowe AND Perry.........yesssssss!
Kevin.jpg

#35 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,622 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

Frankie "don't call me Frank" Corrado is up today: http://canucksarmy.c...7-frank-corrado

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#36 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,711 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

Frankie "don't call me Frank" Corrado is up today: http://canucksarmy.c...7-frank-corrado

Does that one scout even know what he's talking about? Doesn't have much of a clapper? Didn't he shoot like 100 mph when he got recorded.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#37 Guest_Dasein_*

Guest_Dasein_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

Does that one scout even know what he's talking about? Doesn't have much of a clapper? Didn't he shoot like 100 mph when he got recorded.

Zdeno Chara has the hardest shot in the NHL but if I could pick one defenseman to take a clapper from the point in the last minute of the game, it would be Nick Lidstrom (though retired - now maybe Erik Karlsson). That's because Lidstrom can walk the blue line to find an opening, get the puck through very accurately, gets it off very fast and hard enough.

Same deal with Edler and Ehrhoff. Edler shoots way harder, but Ehrhoff has a better clapper - because he can shoot hard enough, but very accurately.

I think Corrado does still have a bit to go into developing a good slap shot. No doubt he can shoot it hard, but I don't know about his accuracy, ability to get a shot off quickly, and the ability to walk the blue line to find an open lane.

Edited by Dasein, 23 August 2012 - 09:52 PM.

#38 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,225 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

Zdeno Chara has the hardest shot in the NHL but if I could pick one defenseman to take a clapper from the point in the last minute of the game, it would be Nick Lidstrom (though retired - now maybe Erik Karlsson). That's because Lidstrom can walk the blue line to find an opening, get the puck through very accurately, gets it off very fast and hard enough.

Same deal with Edler and Ehrhoff. Edler shoots way harder, but Ehrhoff has a better clapper - because he can shoot hard enough, but very accurately.

I think Corrado does still have a bit to go into developing a good slap shot. No doubt he can shoot it hard, but I don't know about his accuracy, ability to get a shot off quickly, and the ability to walk the blue line to find an open lane.

yeah, if there is one prospect I want shooting from the point in the last min of the game, it's Connauton that gets my vote. Corrado got that 100 MPH shot off using a new skick, in a testing situation for the new stick but I'm not sure how well he threads the traffic. Nauts, on the other hand, has an uncanny knack for hitting the net and getting it on net through traffic. if he doesn't score, he'll at least set up a goal mouth scramble or rebound opportunity. Mcnally would be a close second from what I've seen from him.

#39 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:23 AM

Lack, Jensen, Schroeder or Kassian(if you can consider him a prospect) for #1?

Sig too big. -SN

#40 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

Kevin Connauton @ #6 - http://canucksarmy.c...kevin-connauton

Sig too big. -SN

#41 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,622 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:24 PM

Lack, Jensen, Schroeder or Kassian(if you can consider him a prospect) for #1?

Hmm, 5 spots left and who are else are we missing? Lack, Jensen, Schroeder as you mentioned, plus Gaunce, then Kassian as you also mentioned if he's considered a prospect still. I can't see any other of our prospects being in the list as a sleeper for the top 5 so those are the names I'd come up with.

6-20 have been like this:
6. Connauton
7. Corrado
8. LaBate
9. Mallet
10. Cannata
11. Friesen
12. Rodin
13. Sweatt
14. McNally
15. Grenier
16. Sauve
17. Polasek
18. Price
19. Archibald
20. Honzik

So my guess is a 1-5 of:
1. Lack
2. Kassian
3. Jensen
4. Schroeder
5. Gaunce

Edited by elvis15, 24 August 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#42 Guest_Dasein_*

Guest_Dasein_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

Jordan Schroeder comes in at #5:

http://canucksarmy.c...ordan-schroeder

#43 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,622 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hmm, so Gaunce ahead of Schroeder.

EDIT: The last comment about his high mark being a less selfish Patrick Kane seems a little high, but the other evaluations seem pretty close to what I've seen of Schroeder.

Edited by elvis15, 27 August 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#44 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

Hmm, so Gaunce ahead of Schroeder.

Makes sense, they both project as 2nd line centers at their ceilings, but shroeder is boom or bust, and gaunce has the size and tools to work in a bottom 6 role

Bring Back the Totems!

#45 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,622 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

Makes sense, they both project as 2nd line centers at their ceilings, but shroeder is boom or bust, and gaunce has the size and tools to work in a bottom 6 role

We really haven't seen anything of Gaunce as well, so perhaps harder to judge where he'd fall. With Schroeder being closer to the NHL, I thought that may have weighed in his favour.

Anyways, Gaunce is #4: http://canucksarmy.c...-brendan-gaunce

Interesting the note the last person quoted who has followed Brendan's career closely compares him to Keith Primeau rather than Jordan Staal. Maybe he won't have the same level of offence, but he's more of a passing center than Staal which is useful for us.

Edited by elvis15, 28 August 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#46 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,622 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

Jensen at #3: http://canucksarmy.c...-nicklas-jensen

We'll see if Kassian or Lack takes #1 then.

#47 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,804 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

I like Mallet, even if we could have gotten him later. He's a specific pick for a specific need rather than trying to draft for top 6 potential with every pick. We'll see results from him sooner than we would with anyone else picked in the second round, so that makes it interesting to see his progression after a breakout year last year.

Oh I like Mallet too. I think he has potential. Not a top 6 forward, but as a bottom 6 guy, maybe 25-30 points? Called him everyone's favourite mistake because of the amount of flak this selection gets by a ton of people.

zuhwS.gif

#48 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

Following the prospect development myself I am very worried about the size of some of theses players. This is a serious issue. We need crushing speedy wingers and solid mobile defense men . This group does not make me happy except for the skill department. Many of these young guys have mad skill potential i just wanna see more SIZE !

No1813_comets2_rr.jpgDec2814_jake_rr.jpg

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has"  -Margaret Mead-

#49 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

Following the prospect development myself I am very worried about the size of some of theses players. This is a serious issue. We need crushing speedy wingers and solid mobile defense men . This group does not make me happy except for the skill department. Many of these young guys have mad skill potential i just wanna see more SIZE !

um.

Jensen: 6'2" 202 lbs
Kassian: 6'3" 215 lbs (has lost some weight over the summer though)
Mallet: 6'1" 195 lbs
Greneir 6'5" 200 lbs
Gaunce 6'2" 205 lbs
Labate 6'4" 195 lbs

Sauve 6'3" 209 lbs
Andersson 6'3" 190 lbs
Polasek 6'3" 190 lbs
Mcnally 6'2"
Connauton 6'1"

Just because the Canucks have Schroeder and Rodin - There isn't a size issue.
Posted Image

#50 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,622 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

Oh I like Mallet too. I think he has potential. Not a top 6 forward, but as a bottom 6 guy, maybe 25-30 points? Called him everyone's favourite mistake because of the amount of flak this selection gets by a ton of people.

I could see around 30 points for him too, especially paired with players like Higgins and Hansen. He appears to be a more offensive version of Lapierre with less chirping.

um.

Greneir 6'5" 200 lbs
Gaunce 6'2" 205 lbs
Labate 6'4" 195 lbs

Sauve 6'3" 209 lbs
Andersson 6'3" 190 lbs
Polasek 6'3" 190 lbs
Mcnally 6'2"
Connauton 6'1"

Squeak pretty much answered it, but if you're expecting more in the way of "crushing speedy wingers and solid mobile defense men" then good luck since 29 other teams are looking for the same thing.

#51 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,804 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

I could see around 30 points for him too, especially paired with players like Higgins and Hansen. He appears to be a more offensive version of Lapierre with less chirping.

That's a fair comparison, I think. Lapierre with less defensive ability and trash talk, but a bit more offence. Solid 4th liner, can step onto the 3rd without much dropoff.

zuhwS.gif

#52 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:04 PM

um.

Greneir 6'5" 200 lbs
Gaunce 6'2" 205 lbs
Labate 6'4" 195 lbs

Sauve 6'3" 209 lbs
Andersson 6'3" 190 lbs
Polasek 6'3" 190 lbs
Mcnally 6'2"
Connauton 6'1"

Sadly there's misinformed fans that have latched onto the popular belief that our prospects are small, when in fact the opposite is true. The majority of our prospects are average or above average height.

Additional wild card prospects also include:

Darren Archibald - 6'3" 212
Ben Hutton - 6'2"
Matthew Beattie - 6'3"
Ludwig Blomstrand - 6'1" 200
Henrik Tommernes - 6'1"
Sawyer Hannay - 6'4"
Jeremy Price - 6'1"
Steven Anthony - 6'1" 205
Mats Froshaug - 6'1" 200

Edited by D-Bo7, 29 August 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#53 Trelane42

Trelane42

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:12 AM

Kassian, Jensen, and Gaunce can be viewed as highly probable NHLers. If MG adds Bjugstad (or size equivalent) to that list, our forwards will be ranked among the biggest in the not too distant future. At issue then will be skill and whether we have enough of it.

Go see Calgary's roster and prospects for an idea of what an undersized team looks like.

#54 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,225 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

Lack at #2
http://canucksarmy.c...es-2-eddie-lack

#55 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,622 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

Lack rated highly as expected, I'm halfway between him having another year in the AHL with potential for callups so he can work on his consistency over the whole year, and using him as our backup due to his inexpensive contract and that he's a prospect of ours versus looking for a UFA.

#56 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

um.

Greneir 6'5" 200 lbs
Gaunce 6'2" 205 lbs
Labate 6'4" 195 lbs

Sauve 6'3" 209 lbs
Andersson 6'3" 190 lbs
Polasek 6'3" 190 lbs
Mcnally 6'2"
Connauton 6'1"

Some of those numbers are a bit off and 200 pounds is not all that huge. Tall and lanky is all i am seeing right now. Good pool just not as aggressive as I would like. Kassian is not a prospect why is everyone treating him so ?

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has"  -Margaret Mead-

#57 zduck14

zduck14

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

Lack rated highly as expected, I'm halfway between him having another year in the AHL with potential for callups so he can work on his consistency over the whole year, and using him as our backup due to his inexpensive contract and that he's a prospect of ours versus looking for a UFA.

I agree here and I actually think the best situation for the Canucks is to keep Luongo for a couple months into the season and then trade him when other teams realize that the Reimer or Crawford or Lindback just isn't the answer to get their team to the playoffs. By that time, it will increase Luongo's value in a trade by giving Gillis more leverage AND give Lack the extra time as a starter in the AHL. If he comes up around early January, he can get about 8-10 starts in which really is ideal for easing a rookie goalie into the NHL.

#58 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

Some of those numbers are a bit off and 200 pounds is not all that huge. Tall and lanky is all i am seeing right now. Good pool just not as aggressive as I would like. Kassian is not a prospect why is everyone treating him so ?

For 18-21 year olds, 200 pounds is actually quite big. You have to remember these guys are young prospects, not full-time NHLers. Alot of them are still growing.

And Kassian has played less than a full season in the NHL and is not a guarantee to make the team, therefore he is still a prospect.

#59 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

I was no where NEAR 200 pounds when I was 18 years old.

Kassian is a prospect; just like Hodgson was a prospect until the beginning of last season.
Posted Image

#60 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

Sadly there's misinformed fans that have latched onto the popular belief that our prospects are small, when in fact the opposite is true. The majority of our prospects are average or above average height.
Additional wild card prospects also include:

Darren Archibald - 6'3" 212
Ben Hutton - 6'2"
Matthew Beattie - 6'3"
Ludwig Blomstrand - 6'1" 200
Henrik Tommernes - 6'1"
Sawyer Hannay - 6'4"
Jeremy Price - 6'1"
Steven Anthony - 6'1" 205
Mats Froshaug - 6'1" 200

You forgot so many more and I am plenty informed my friend. Ok I guess Kassian can be considered a prospect still has not played the required 65 games in the big show but cmon he wil be with the big club there really is no doubt of that .I do understand these guys will grow but they wont sprout 3 inches and gain 25-40 pounds after 20-21.

Alex Friesen 5'9 -186
Evgeny Gladskikh 6'0 -186
Ilia Krikunov 5'11 -169
Jordan Schroeder 5'8 -175
Kellin Tokhkin 5'10 -176
Jeremy Price 6'1 -175
Henrik Tommernes 6'1 -176
Anton Rodin 6'0 -175
Micheal Davies 5'9 -179
Darren Haydar 5'10 -171
Brad Hunt 5'9 -171
Kevin Doell 5'11 -182

Edited by vanfan73, 30 August 2012 - 11:36 AM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.