The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Army Prospect Profiles, Top 20

Alex Friesen's up today at #11: http://canucksarmy.c...11-alex-friesen

Does he have the ability to be an effective NHL player within the next three years?

I think he has the ability to be an effective NHL player within the next year. I think he's a very pro ready player. We're not talking about a big budding power forward who we're waiting for so he can grow into his body. What you see is what you get. As I said earlier, the things that Friesen does well should transfer fairly easily to the pro game. His faceoff ability, his energy/forechecking ability, and his penchant for killing penalties all make him an asset as a role player on a checking line. You look at the success a guy like Andrew Shaw had in Chicago. Friesen is a similar type of player and I think he'll move quickly up the system. The Canucks have been searching for valuable fourth line players over the past few years. There really aren't many guys in Vancouver's system (at least at the pro level) like Friesen. He doesn't have a ton of competition if the Canucks want more from their fourth line.

I like Mallet, even if we could have gotten him later. He's a specific pick for a specific need rather than trying to draft for top 6 potential with every pick. We'll see results from him sooner than we would with anyone else picked in the second round, so that makes it interesting to see his progression after a breakout year last year.

I think the Canucks have set-up themselves up to have immediate prospects pushing (Jensen, Mallet, Schroeder etc.); and then have long term prospects (Gaunce, Labate, Mcnally)

In my opinion - in 3-5 years, they will have so many assets available to fill the holes left if/when the Sedin's leave.

I think the Canucks have set-up themselves up to have immediate prospects pushing (Jensen, Mallet, Schroeder etc.); and then have long term prospects (Gaunce, Labate, Mcnally)

In my opinion - in 3-5 years, they will have so many assets available to fill the holes left if/when the Sedin's leave.

I started a thread some months ago about Alex Freisen. He was a player I loved to read about and his thirst for work and ability to lead by example was impressive.

He amongst all of the names above is THE player who does not deserve to have any limitations placed on his career.

I think Alex will be a real impact player because he has that hunger. He will start by lighting up the Wolves and will be in the team within 2 years max.

Guest Dasein

Does that one scout even know what he's talking about? Doesn't have much of a clapper? Didn't he shoot like 100 mph when he got recorded.

Zdeno Chara has the hardest shot in the NHL but if I could pick one defenseman to take a clapper from the point in the last minute of the game, it would be Nick Lidstrom (though retired - now maybe Erik Karlsson). That's because Lidstrom can walk the blue line to find an opening, get the puck through very accurately, gets it off very fast and hard enough.

Same deal with Edler and Ehrhoff. Edler shoots way harder, but Ehrhoff has a better clapper - because he can shoot hard enough, but very accurately.

I think Corrado does still have a bit to go into developing a good slap shot. No doubt he can shoot it hard, but I don't know about his accuracy, ability to get a shot off quickly, and the ability to walk the blue line to find an open lane.

Archived