Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Proposal] Van-Ott

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

I don't really like to make proposals, but I was bored so:
(Note: This only occurs if we are unable to sign Doan or Arnott)

To Ott:
Keith Ballard

Ottawa gets a NHL calibre defenceman that they desperately need, Mike Lundin is not a good enough player to be in the starting 6, and Jared Cowen isn't ready for a top 4 role yet.

To Van:
Zack Smith
5th Round Pick

Ottawa has a bit of a glut of young 3rd/4th line calibre players, so the loss of Smith wouldn't take a huge toll on their team. Canucks get a versatile 3rd line Centre, who is more than willing to get into the dirty areas, and stand up for his teammates. He's 6'2, 212lbs, 24 years old, and put up 26 points in 81 games in his 1st full NHL season last year.

To make up for the loss of Ballard, we sign Scott Hannan to a 1 year, $1-1.5M deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFzDdYxU4bo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZaZsLbu4qU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rV_SZI5sRo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IIYVkNxLXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKTr48O1UCY

Edited by Jagermeister, 16 August 2012 - 12:29 PM.

Jagermeister.jpg

#2 Mase_Raymond_21

Mase_Raymond_21

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

that would be a decent trade... but wee need to get as much as keith ballards contract soo smith and..........................
Posted Image

#3 Honeydews

Honeydews

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

Do it MG!
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to pwnstar for this amazing kesler sig :)

#4 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Probably Not A Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

Couple of reasons no.

I believe this is going to be ballard's year.

His cap hit is 4 million atm, and with the cap at 72 m i think? - It's not that bad.

:3
Posted Image
Thank you VC!

#5 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

that would be a decent trade... but wee need to get as much as keith ballards contract soo smith and..........................

Ottawa has around $19mil in cap space, they could easily manage the extra $3.5mil on their books (Smith makes 700k before becoming an RFA next season).
I also see no problem with us having some extra cap room to play around with.

Jagermeister.jpg

#6 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

Smith is much more valuable to Ottawa than ballard.

Cowen had 18:53 TOI average in his rookie season.   So i'm pretty sure he's ok as at top 4.  

Karlsson-Gonchar
Cowen-Methot
Phillips

I'd take those five before Ballard any day.  So does Ottawa. And Lundin is fine as 6th d-man

Edited by timberz21, 16 August 2012 - 12:05 PM.

#7 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

I like the idea.... plus Smith is really good buddies with Dale Weise.

But i have said this before and I will say it again: Ballard, despite his hefty salary, is a really solid number 5 dman who can step into the top 4 if injuries strike. We have the cap space to keep him, and if he plays as well as he did in the LA series then it would be worth it.

What about this instead:

Senators:
- Y. Sauve
- 4th Round Pick

Canucks:
- Z. Smith
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#8 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

Smith is much more valuable to Ottawa than ballard.

Cowen had 18:53 TOI average in his rookie season. So i'm pretty sure he's ok as at top 4.

Karlsson-Gonchar
Cowen-Methot
Phillips

I'd take those five before Ballard any day. So does Ottawa. And Lundin is fine as 6th d-man

Methot over Ballard is questionable, but he's a very good bottom pair guy.
Lundin was a healthy scratch consistently for the Wild last year before going down to injury. If I'm Ottawa, I wouldn't be comfortable having a guy that couldn't crack the WIld's top 6 on my roster every night.

The reason I see Smith as sonewhat expendable is due to their depth in the 3rd/4th lines. Even without Smith, there is still Regin, O'Brien, Silfverberg, Neil, Condra, Daugavins, Stone, and Zibanejad who could all have a place in those 6 spots as of now.

Jagermeister.jpg

#9 Blueberries

Blueberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

We dont need to trade Ballard a mess up our D.

Edited by LegitCanuck, 16 August 2012 - 12:24 PM.

2pzbeb6.jpg

THANKS TO VINTAGE CANUCK FOR THE AWESOME SIG!!

#10 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

Newsflash: if there were anyone in the NHL that were interested in Keith Ballard, he would be there and not here.

#11 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

This woud be a great move to do at the deadline. Let Ballard prove himself this season, and if he doesn't show any significant improvement, unload him.

This Zack Smith guy looks like a beauty
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#12 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Newsflash: if there were anyone in the NHL that were interested in Keith Ballard, he would be there and not here.

Why?
I'm fairly sure MG wouldn't just get rid of him for nothing after sending out so much to get him.
I'm not so sure MG wants to trade him, but he would want fair value for him if he did.

Jagermeister.jpg

#13 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

Zack Kassian, Zack Smith, all we'd need is Zack Stortini to complete the Zack Attack line.

In all seriousness, I think Smith would add some much needed grit to the bottom 6, assuming Raymond does not have a bounce back season he would be done in Vancouver, it would also make Malhotra expendable as well after this season (allowing them both to walk UFA). A third line of Higgins-Smith-Hansen would be pretty sweet.

I'd just as soon give up Ballard for the resultant cap space it frees up going into next season when we need to re-sign Edler, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen next season, and the Sedins the season after. Our T4 core is set and it's not difficult to find a bottom pairing d-man to shore up the defence.

#14 billabong

billabong

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

smith is very good player, once he hits his stride he will become a very effective 3rd line center
Posted Image

#15 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

Why?
I'm fairly sure MG wouldn't just get rid of him for nothing after sending out so much to get him.
I'm not so sure MG wants to trade him, but he would want fair value for him if he did.

They wanted to fly in Nolan Baumgartner, who was vacationing in California at the time, before giving Ballard playing time in the SCF of 2011. 2011-12 may have even been worse than his first year here. Look at those stats - yuck.

Of course, you'll never hear publicly from Gillis that it was a mistake, but it clearly was. I would think that we'd take virtually anything to get him off of our roster. He has been a DISASTER, no sugar-coating required.

#16 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

They wanted to fly in Nolan Baumgartner, who was vacationing in California at the time, before giving Ballard playing time in the SCF of 2011. 2011-12 may have even been worse than his first year here. Look at those stats - yuck.

Of course, you'll never hear publicly from Gillis that it was a mistake, but it clearly was. I would think that we'd take virtually anything to get him off of our roster. He has been a DISASTER, no sugar-coating required.

Of course not. When do you ever hear GM's publicly admitting mistakes?
Posted Image

#17 Schnieds

Schnieds

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

So you think that it's a good trade for Ottawa to give up someone who's 6 years younger, gets paid 3.5 mil less, can score, can hit, can fight, can play on the pk for someone who doesn't really stand out at anything. And before you guys all tell me "oh AV hasn't utilized him properly!" give it a rest. Ballard's been here 2 years and has played over 100 games as a Canuck. If he's got something to show AV, he would've shown it by now. And who should I trust more? A coach who's led this team to numerous NW titles, 2 conference titles, 2 presidents trophies, and who brought us within one game of winning it all or Keith Ballard? Hmm tough one. Bryan Murray would hang up the phone before MG finishes saying Keith Ballard.

#18 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,566 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

So you believe in the unlikely event that Ballard was put on waivers, he would clear with no teams wanting to pick him up? I don't believe that, but I could see the argument that no teams want to give up what Gillis would ask for in return.

Back to the topic at hand, I could see Ballard fitting in to Ottawa's system, but they have enough left handers as is. They might like someone of his style, but who could play on the right hand side. Ballard struggled doing so here.

They are high on Methot (had tried to get him before apparently, it's been rumoured they want to try him with Karlsson to fill the gap Kuba left) and I think they're fine with Cowan in the top 4 if need be. They still have Phillips and Gonchar as veteran presences, and Lundin is more of a 6/7/8 guy, but all (save Karlsson) are lefties.

Lundin and Gonchar can play right side (correct me if I'm wrong on how they're utilized in Ottawa) and they have Gryba coming up in the AHL as a right hander so that'd mean Ballard would have to replace one of Cowan or Phillips, which I don't see happening.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#19 canucks10271999

canucks10271999

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

maybe at the deadline but i think ballard will be great this year

#20 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

So basically people think Ballard is a useless plug who no team in the league would want, or they think he will have some sort of crazy bounce back season?

Ballard is a decent bottom pair or below average top 4 DMan (on some teams), his big issue is that he is overpaid. For a team like Ottawa with the amount of cap room they have ($19M) that issue is irrelevant.

Jagermeister.jpg

#21 Schnieds

Schnieds

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

So basically people think Ballard is a useless plug who no team in the league would want, or they think he will have some sort of crazy bounce back season?

Ballard is a decent bottom pair or below average top 4 DMan (on some teams), his big issue is that he is overpaid. For a team like Ottawa with the amount of cap room they have ($19M) that issue is irrelevant.

OK, lets say you're the GM of the Senators. Why would you give Ballard 4.2 mil and give up a Zack Smith or whoever when you can get guys like Cam Barker, Kurtis Foster, Scott Hannan, Michal Rozsival, Carlo Colaiacovo etc for free and pay them a fraction of what you'd have to pay for Ballard?

#22 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,566 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

OK, lets say you're the GM of the Senators. Why would you give Ballard 4.2 mil and give up a Zack Smith or whoever when you can get guys like Cam Barker, Kurtis Foster, Scott Hannan, Michal Rozsival, Carlo Colaiacovo etc for free and pay them a fraction of what you'd have to pay for Ballard?

That sums it up for anyone thinking we can move him so he can be a depth guy somewhere else. If someone wants to trade for him, they have hopes he can do what he'd done in Phoenix and Florida.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#23 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

That sums it up for anyone thinking we can move him so he can be a depth guy somewhere else. If someone wants to trade for him, they have hopes he can do what he'd done in Phoenix and Florida.

I think he could bounce back playing for a team like the Sens.
He'd most likely get top 4 minutes, which could do wonders to give him the confidence he needs to step his game up.
It would be a somewhat risky deal for the Sens, but at worst they still get a decent bottom pair calibre DMan, and if it works out, they could manage to get pre-Vancouver Ballard, who was a very good defenceman.

I dunno, I just didn't want to do a typical Luongo to Florida, or Raymond or Ballard for picks trade.

Edited by Jagermeister, 16 August 2012 - 10:05 PM.

Jagermeister.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.