The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to begin extension talks with Edler

I can't believe how negitive this thread is. Edler is bad ass. He is still learning, and yes his defense could use some work. But I think it is pretty obvious he is being used for offense. His point numbers show that.

The Big Luongo. Stop writing essays about how Edler sucks and use something as stupid as plus minus to back it up. It is a bs stat and we all know this. You just sound like an asshole ranting about something you don't actually understand.

I would rather see K Connauton get a chance then to see Edler get locked up long term and overpaid. I think he will be a far better all around defensemen in time the Edler ever will be and will help the team far more in the long run..

With it looking like there is going to be another lock-out, I would be really happy if we front-loaded his contract. This would appeal to Edler as he would get a lot of money and it would help us in the long run. So possibly pay him 10 million to play no games but than help us in the cap situation later. Stupid idea?

I will write the truth and that is Edlers defensive game is piss poor compared to his offensive stats(heavily Sedin aided) and when people think the guy should be our highest paid defensemen.

I would rather have Hamhuis and Bieksa over Edler anyday because of the solid well rounded games they have. These guys help the team far more then they hurt it Edler i am not so sure about overall.

I got involved in this thread because there's no way Edler should make anymore money then those guys and is a bigger liability defensively then seen by most.

The plus minus is very simple that even simple guys like you should be able to figure out.

For the whole season Edler broke even 5 on 5 with some of the highest skilled scoring linemates in the NHL while our other players did a lot more then break even that means something.

Edlers defensive game needs a ton of work and the Canucks chances of winning are greatly diminished when he plays as useless as he did against the kings and unfortunately he has played brutal defensively a lot more then that series!

Do people just think that useless play came out of nowhere ??lol Its beens happening far too often for my liking and i hope management doesn't overpay him because if him and his agent think he's worth 5-6 or more we should definitely trade his a$$ because he's not worth it!

I would rather see K Connauton get a chance then to see Edler get locked up long term and overpaid. I think he will be a far better all around defensemen in time thn Edler ever will be and will help the team far more in the long run.

Personally with Edlers lousy defensive game and his Sedin aided point totals i don't even think he's worth more then 4.

Anyway drummer boy why don't you watch the game closer and think about it because to me your the one that looks like the asshole buddy.

Bieksa is NOT better than Edler defensively. If Edler had the luxury of having Dan Hamhuis as his partner we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now. It's clear you weren't watching Canucks games through the whole year because if you did you'd know that Edler was really solid defensively for most of the year and unfortunately started to fall off before/during the playoffs. I guess Lidstrom was a horrible defenseman last year because he was -2 playing with the likes of Datsyuk and Zetterberg. +/- is a pretty bad arguement. And he's worth at least 5-5.5mill with the cap going up and such it would be an embarrassment to think he's worth only 4mill.

Well first of all Lidstrom was a +21 and has been anywhere fromm +21 to +40 most of his career and is 10 times better then Edler this is a stupid point bringing Lidstrom into this lol

Bieksa is about the same risk defensively as Edler and is quite equal as far as that goes but 5 on 5 Bieksa had more points and given the pp time Edler gets i think would Bieksa would be better.

Bieksa is far more physical and far more important to the team do to his leadership qualities .

If you think that Edler was only bad defensively the last part of the season and playoffs you better stop smoking the dope he has pretty much been horrible since he joined the team years ago.

I meant to say the year before with Lidstrom. There's a reason Edler get's top unit time rather than Bieksa. It's because he reads the plays better and has good chemistry with the Sedins. Bieksa has to rely on pinching a lot and getting secondary assists even strength while Hamhuis is covering his ass 24/7. Bieksa is very reliant on Hamhuis while Edler has shown he can still play well when paired with the likes of Gragnani, Sulzer, Alberts, and Ballard. While Bieksa may be more consistent physically Edler is the harder hitter.

And I was saying this past year was probably his best defensive season to date if he didn't fall off during the last month of the season. You're nuts if you think he was a such a liability all of these years and Connauton, an unproven rookie is better? I didn't know such horrible defensive players got 23/24 minutes a game?

Obviously Edler is better now he's had quite a few years of training at the NHL level but i am very confident given maybe 3 years at most Connauton will be a much better all around defensemen then Edler. Edlers had 6 seasons to better his defensive skills and he hasn't exactly came a long way.

Edlers brutal gaffes and dumb mistakes against the kings were just more in the spotlight in the playoffs he's been playing pretty lousy defensively in all his 6 seasons.

There's a reason why AV called Edler out last season and it's because he was sick of all of Edlers downside killing the team.

I am confident the Canucks won't pay Edler big money and long term to stay and thankfully they just aren't as stupid as some on here are.

He shouldn't get a penny more then Hamhuis or Bieksa he hasn't earned it.

I meant to say the year before with Lidstrom. There's a reason Edler get's top unit time rather than Bieksa. It's because he reads the plays better and has good chemistry with the Sedins. Bieksa has to rely on pinching a lot and getting secondary assists even strength while Hamhuis is covering his ass 24/7. Bieksa is very reliant on Hamhuis while Edler has shown he can still play well when paired with the likes of Gragnani, Sulzer, Alberts, and Ballard. While Bieksa may be more consistent physically Edler is the harder hitter.

And I was saying this past year was probably his best defensive season to date if he didn't fall off during the last month of the season. You're nuts if you think he was a such a liability all of these years and Connauton, an unproven rookie is better? I didn't know such horrible defensive players got 23/24 minutes a game?

I think you've gotta ask yourself 2 questions:

1) Is Edler a long term interest for the Canucks

2) Does Edler's value fit within the pay roll structure of the Canucks?

I think Edler is a long term interest for the Canucks. He is coming into his prime, has the ability to be a consistent 40+ point D man and although he has had his gaffe's he is still a quality defender. He did have a miserable playoff last season but c'mon people the guy is human- human error is a reality so live and let learn. For the most part he has been quite reliable (people tend to forget just how good along the boards Edler really is). Put it this way, of all the Canucks D (including Hamhuis) I still would be confident in Edler's play in all situations.

I could see him getting signed to a 4-6 year contract. Value wise, I think the reality is Edler is easily worth 5.5 million a season if not more if some teams are willing to over pay. If the Canucks sign him long term, tthe mutual benefit could be the cap hit coming down a bit i.e 5.2 to 5.3 million. Still, it's a big chunk of money but you need proven top 4 D.

The real question is whether Edler can justify his earnings. If he play's as well as he has so far, then yes, his contract is worth it. Solid D wins cups. If Edler can up his game similar to how the Sedins upped their game after signing their contracts, then he could be a steal of a signing in comparison to other premier NHL Defensemen.

What I'm curious about is how well he can play with Garrison. 2 big guys that if they can play a solid shut down game AND put up some numbers, the Canucks could feasibly have a 1A and 1B type D pairing on most teams (Hamhuis/Bieksa & Edler/Garrison). Not to say either pairing is best in the league in terms of individual pairs, but taken as a whole it could be exactly the step the Canucks back end needs to take to win a cup.

OK now I'm excited! F this lockout and let's get some hockey going!!!!

Archived