The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

Super19

Actually, that's a re-post from a book by Lee Strobel.

How does a scientist corroborate something that has no proof for it in the first place?

Oh, and by the way, it's not a "proselytizing web site" - I'm just sharing interesting things I have discovered during my journey.

Thanks again for proving my point though about going "out of your way".

So it's an uncredited quote that seems to passed off as your own 'example'?

i.e, plagarism?

Uh...just a heads up cause you may not be aware, but "Thou shall not steal".

A scientist does not start out with a conclusion, for example "God exists", and then go about corroborating that conclusion with evidence.

A scientist would start out with a general question, like "Does God exist?" and through a process of elimination, will narrow and focus the research area, eventually, arriving at one fundamental hypothesis around which the experiment can be designed, in order to test and evaluate the hypothesis, manipulating one or more variables to generate analyzable data. Then the scientist would make sure that the experiment has controls and a large enough sample group to provide statistically valid results. At this point the scientist would be observing and recording the results of the research, gathering the findings into raw data. Then, statistical analyses are performed on the data, and it is organized into an understandable form. Then the hypothesis would be proved or disproved. and the results would be filtered to explain what happened and why and then published and shared with the rest of the scientific community, allowing other scientists to test the hypothesis and analyze the experiment as well, to corroborate the results.

Oh come on Geoff, I didn't really go out of my way, now did I? :)

Now, be a dear and credit Mr Strobel for 'your example'. I'll be glad to follow suit and credit Hammurabi for the usage of part of his 'Laws of Hammurabi" that 'Moses'......'borrowed'.....from his Babylonian predecessor while 'getting the 10 commandment off of Mount Sinai directly from God'....*wink wink*.

You Christians sure do like to 'borrow' whenever it suits your needs eh? Oh well, no biggie, the Jews and Muslims 'borrowed' their fair share too. You know what they say, "you are the company you keep".

Better than the kool-aid drinkers you surround yourself with.....fake platitudes, faux humility, deluded realities and self-righteous hypocrisy.....blech. Better to be in the company of 'sinners' than the 'holy', any day of the week, and especially on Sundays.

Come at me bro. B)

you strike me as a guy who has looked into what you believe.. you honestly think most religous people are like you? I would say the vast majority blindly follow whatever religion they have been taught/told to follow, hense the "kool-aid" reference..

Its all just BS (Belief Systems) Belief proves nothing and those that believe there is an Omniscient external being looking down upon those he created in judgement are only operating in the realm of effects. To think that an intelligence grants your wishes or punishes you depending on your actions or his own whims is something we no longer need to believe in. Obviously before the advent of high powered telescopes in Astronomy and Electricity becoming useful in the day to day lives of the average person, Religion could have explained the wonders of the sky and all the scary things that go bump in the night.

The truth is the Universe has always been subjected to particular laws and principles. When we exist in harmony with these laws it is as if miracles are being worked. When our thoughts and actions are in violation with these laws: lack, disease, disharmony, loss etc. is what results.

There is a Universal or Cosmic Intelligence, in my mind there is no doubt. How else does life spring from a seed and gather all it requires to express its own life? However this Universal Intelligence is subject to the laws and priciples of the Universe in the same manner we all are and is not the force behind the creation of these laws as one would assume if this was indeed God.

ALADEEN MOFOS!!!!

And not every atheist disbelieves because they have looked into the belief in God (whether by reading Harris or Dawkins etc.). Many I know simply disbelieve because they think religion is dumb, or religious people are stupid, yet they themselves don't much intellectual thought behind their own beliefs.

But yeah obviously with such large populations worldwide of religious and atheist we're going to see a wide range of reasons for belief.

"You all a bunch of effin bumholes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be. You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your effin' fingers and say, "That the bad guy." So...what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide--how to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say [good-morning] to the bad guy."

You really need some new material, you used this exact same line on me in the God thread, and if I recall correctly, you weren't too happy with the reply you got. I have no need for you, what use could I possibly have for an arrogant, antagonistic jerk who gets his jollies by being a PIA?

Whoa...relax. It was a bit of morning facetiousness. You do realize that I was quoting a movie don't you?? Which is why I used it again. I assumed you would have clued into that fact.

Had I known you were going to throw such an immature hissy-fit I wouldn't have made a movie reference.

Get a clue, and then afterwards perhaps a sense of humour.

Archived