The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Stockpiling Draft Picks

:picard: You have no idea what you're talking about do you? Kassian, Jensen, Tanev, Schroeder, Connauton and Rodin are our only good prospects. That's it. With the additions of Clobourne, Drouin, Dunclair, Subban and Ellerby, we gain 5 top-talent prospects while only giving up one of our own prospects (Schroeder) along with Luongo, Hansen, Ballard and Raymond. So it looks like you don't know anything about hockey.

But if you want to have a dim future and be bottom dwellers for another 6 years like 10 years ago be my guest.

The West Coast Express was an ice hockey line that played for the National Hockey League's (NHL) Vancouver Canucks from 2002–2004. Named after Vancouver's commuter rail service, the line consisted of Markus Naslund at left wing, Brendan Morrison at centre, and Todd Bertuzzi playing right wing. The West Coast Express was a high scoring line that was considered to be one of the best lines in hockey during its tenure.

Each player was acquired by the Canucks though various trades. Once each member arrived in Vancouver it took two years before the line played together regularly. Once they did, they helped to set a Canucks franchise record for points in 2002–03 season (later surpassed), a season in which the West Coast Express accounted for 45% of the team's goal production. All three players recorded their most individually recognized and best statistical seasons while playing on the line. Despite regular season success, the Canucks were never able to advance past the second round of the playoffs during the West Coast Express years

Were actually not Stanley Cup favourites...they're are atleast 3 maybe 5 teams that could outplay us in a 7 game series. These trades take away almost nothing from our team while giving us some talented young prospects, just like Philly has.

So Sir,

I think it's you that doesn't know anything about hockey because Edmonton will be whooping our grandpa arses in about 3 years if we don't do anything to change that.

not stanley cup favorites :picard: you are whats wrong with CDC. open your eyes canucks are the best team in the west and the oilers are the worst

listen kid I live in edmonton and vancouver for the last 18 years. no one stays in edmonton long term everyone moves. oiler fans are well aware of this, gretzky messier anderson coffey arnott guerin weight ..... and much more never stayed in edmonton or came back... no one does ask prongers wife..

I dont care if Hall just resigned... big deal.... heatley got traded nash just did and so will lu ... long term contracts dont mean shhhhhh

the oilers will always suck . why do you think they ave hemsky and horcoff such stupid contracts... to make em stay and play where no one else in the nhl wants too.

hahahahaah just like philly...... u are a fool . philly used to be a stanley cup favorite then they traded carter and richards for some youth....... Carter and Richards win the stanley cup.... philly fans cry

so u want to trade Hansen and Luongo for a bunch of kids who have never played in the nhl hahahahahahaah.... you do realize that only 10% of players drafted actually have an NHL career

When did this conversation turn into where players want to play. The Oilers have enough skill and are getting their main pieces under contract to be competiive for years to come. The Canucks have hardly any young talents, let alone talents that are NHL ready...we need to get younger...and that's FACT.

I think Florida jumps on this trade; giving up only Ellerby (does he rate as a blue chipper?) and none of their premium prospects. Why we do it is the question?

Teams like Philly sold Forsburg for two good young players and a pick. It gothem started. Then took two good young players and a pick for Carter, two very good young players for Richards and a pick. New York gave up two good young players and a pick for Nash. Each had a different calibre based on how good was the star leaving. But even if Lou is not worth that much we need at least one seriously good prospect and an Ellerby or Mathias... The prospect is a more known entity (Bjugstad) and will arrive several years sooner. Leverage is all that is holding back the trade, because Gillis does not have it, and he is waiting till he does.

Conversely, why does Toronto want Ballard? Liles and Gardiner do what he would... And that said, why do they give up one of their premium prospects for someone with a lot less star power than Lou, and no better contract???

I believe the value on both is off a bit.

You guys are missing the bigger picture

We don't give up any major pieces besides Lu and Hansen. Lu is replaced by Schneider and Hansen is replaced by Kassian on the 3rd line. We also have Volpatti and Pinnizotto working their way up the depth chart so we don't really lose anything. Ballard can be replaced as well by K-Conn or a cheap veteran defenceman that is still on the market like Foster or Colaiacovo.

Bottom line is we hardly lose any ground, making a run for the cup while at the same time improving our future exponentially. Colbourne and Ellerby are both likely to make the NHL this year as it is

So please, reconsider this proposal and think about the future and keeping up with the Oilers and Avalanche rather than becoming the Flames of the division. We would still be the most competitive team in the divison anyways because we will not have lost a top 6 forward, any top 4 D-Men and our goalie is set to take the league by storm.

If we did have the 7th overall, 10th overall and 25th overall, I would probably try to package the 7th and a second rounder for the 1st overall to get Nathan Mackinnon or Seth Jones....

And I thought we were trying to get bigger?? (Although I know Mackinnon isn't very big, he is projected to be the next Crosby - hopefully without the concussions)

In No Way, Is This a Rebuild, It Is Simply Preparing For The Future, While Staying Competitive

Now,What do you guys think about stockpilling draft picks for this year and opening up roster spots.

Now I don't know where the team's we trade with will finish but here is a rough idea of what we could do.

To FLA-Luongo,Raymond

To VAN-Ellerby,1st rd pick 2013 (10th OVR)

To TOR-Ballard,Hansen,Schroeder

To VAN-Colbourne,1st rd pick (7th OVR)

We then draft 25th after making a couragous run with our rookie goalie (Schneider)

We draft:

7th) Anthony Duclair, F, Quebec: Left Wing, 5'11, 180lbs, Shoots Right

63 GP 31G 35A 66P

10th) Jordan Subban, D, Belleville: Defence, 5'9, 170lbs, Shoots Right

53 GP 5G 15A 20P

25th) Johnathon Drouin, F, Halifax: Centre, 5'11, 180lbs, Shoots Left

33GP 7G 22A 29P

PLAYOFFS: 17GP 9G 17A 26P

Essentially: We trade

Luongo,Hansen,Raymond,Ballard, and Schroeder

and pick up

Duclair,Subban,Drouin,Colbourne and Ellerby

Please let me know what you guys think, and if the value is fair. Colboune could always be taken away or switched for another prospect, but I really think this could spark a new dynasty for the Canucks. One to follow under Kesler,Edler,Hamhuis and Bieksa's leadership once the twins are gone.

Finally someone who knows what their talking about! You don't have to trade our starrs for some rookies. We want to win now! GEt that in your heads. I'd rather give up future to win the cup once... Then you can start trading for prospects! We've waited over 40 years to win a cup and guys just want to stay competitve! I want to see the Canucks win the Stanley Cup for once im my Life!!!

Thx

Pcuzz :canucks:

I think anyone here who is critical of adding draft picks for the future is short sighted. If you can add something to our future without subtracting a whole lot from today then why not?! These are the same people who will be crying bloody murder if we suck 5-7 years from now and say how the hell did this happen? Kind of reminds me of people who spend all their money living for today then go broke when they hit mid-life.

I think anyone here who is critical of adding draft picks for the future is short sighted. If you can add something to our future without subtracting a whole lot from today then why not?! These are the same people who will be crying bloody murder if we suck 5-7 years from now and say how the hell did this happen? Kind of reminds me of people who spend all their money living for today then go broke when they hit mid-life.

This is what our top 5 prospects look like right now

1) Kassian

2) Tanev

3) Jensen

4) Connauton

5) Rodin

This is what our top 10 prospects would look like after the trades

1) Kassian

2) Tanev

3) Jensen

4) Colbourne

5) Ellerby

6) Dunclair

7) Subban

8) Drouin

9) Connauton

10) Rodin

So tell me, which one would you rather have? The one that won't help us stay competitive, or the one that helps us stay competitive for the next 10-15 year?

:sadno::picard:

Essentially: We trade

Luongo,Hansen,Raymond,Ballard, and Schroeder

and pick up

13TH PICK , 15TH PICK, 30TH PICK,Colbourne and Ellerby :emot-parrot:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / ---------Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) /---------- Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / ---------Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) /----------- Chris Higgins ($1.900m)

Dale Weise ($0.615m) /---------- Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) /-------- Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) / -------Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) /-------- Joe Colborne ($1.100m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Steve Pinizzotto ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) /------- Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / ----------Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Chris Tanev ($0.900m) / -----------Keaton Ellerby ($0.700m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,510,000; BONUSES: $462,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $11,690,000

THIS TEAM SUCKS YOU JUST TRADED AWAY ALL THE DEPTH......WHAT IF SOMEONES GETS INJURED :frantic:

Archived