Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Poor 11-12 season was because of the lack of chemistry?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 VANFAN101

VANFAN101

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

A president's trophy winning season would be a pretty good season by any other teams standards, but not for the Canucks. Going from 15 wins in the playoffs down to 1 the following year, would be described as a failure. But how did it go this wrong? Somewhere down the stretch the Canucks lost there mojo, and I believed those points were: Win in Boston (I think Kesler was injured around this time too?) and the Trade Deadline. So clearly the Canucks weren't the hottest team going into the playoffs.

The Canucks skill is good enough to win 1st in the league (we can all agree surely) but i think the difference between the 10-11 season and 11-12 season was the lack of chemistry. No all you guys are probably thinking "Chemistry!? That was surely not the reason!" But the more I think about it could have been.

Lets look at the key moves for the Canucks at the beginning of the 2010-11 season

IN:
Ballard
Hamhuis
Malhotra
Torres

OUT:
O'Brien
Steve Bernier (can't think of anyone else)

Now players have the oppurtunity to get know each other before the beginning of the year and have the pre-season to work on chemistry. Mid-season not so easy

Moves during trade deadline 2010-11 season

IN:
Lapierre
Higgins

OUT:
(no one key)

So chemistry wasn't the issue as players were only added. Sure there were injuries (only major ones i can think of were Salo and Malhotra) but we had the right players to step into that role during the year.

Different story for 2011-12

Moves at the beginning of the year for 2011-12

IN:
Sturm (does he even count?)
Hodgson (i know he wasnt an aquisition but he was new on the team)

OUT:
Ehrhoff
Torres
Glass

So Kesler was injured and Hodgeson was in spot which worked fine but then a major trade happened

Booth was in and Samuelson and Sturm was out. Booth I was on a very different team in FLA so it took some getting used to in VAN.

Kesler would comeback and the centres would be pushed down one line. This was different style the Canucks were playing compared to last season. 3rd line went from being checkin/physical to more offensive.

But the Canucks would adapt to this style and would go on a tear until around late January. Kesler wasn't playing 100% but the Canucks would manage.

But then came the Trade Deadline. This really disrupted the Canucks chemistry. Mike Gillis managed to get key players at this time last year without giving up to much but this time he gave one player that changed the Canucks style

IN:
Kassian
Gragnani
Pahlson (sp?)

OUT:
Hodgson

This disrupted the Canucks style as they went from and offensive 3rd line which worked to a more defensive 3rd line with the addition of Pahlson, and Kassian was for a physical presence. And then later in the year Daniel was injured which really sunk the Canucks, and kinda put them behind the offensive 8 ball heading into the playoffs.

So this off season for Garrison, Booth and Kassian, they will have the chance to get to know each other and get to know each other better. They will also have pre-season (hopefully) to gel. And if know major moves including taking out a piece which worked well, and a change in style, the Canucks can get back to being as dominant as they were in 2011.

Edited by VANFAN101, 03 September 2012 - 05:50 PM.

#2 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hodgson*
But I don't think it was really that, LA peaked at the right time. They were a stacked team playing poor all year. Something had to give.
Posted Image

#3 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,822 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hodgson*
But I don't think it was really that, LA peaked at the right time. They were a stacked team playing poor all year. Something had to give.

One name: Jeff Carter.

He gave them the extra offensive boost they needed. Without him, the Kings probably wouldn't have even made the playoffs. With the addition of Carter, they went from the NHL basement in goals for to top three in goals for.
Posted Image

#4 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

We also lost Grabner at the first interval.

#5 ninja321

ninja321

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

POPULAR

I think it was our lack of drive. I felt like we didn't play with the same passion we did the previous year.
Posted Image
Sig and Avatar by Me :)

#6 VANFAN101

VANFAN101

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

We also lost Grabner at the first interval.

True, but I don't think he played as big as a role compared to the others

#7 believe in blue forever

believe in blue forever

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

I think it was our lack of drive. I felt like we didn't play with the same passion we did the previous year.

This
Posted Image

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. George R.R. Martin
Luongo is blamed for a lot of things. I think he was blamed for the teachers strike, and the high gas prices in Vancouver. Alain Vigneault

#8 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

Daniel was injured, and we ran into one of (if not the) hottest team in recent memory.
Posted Image

#9 VANFAN101

VANFAN101

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

Hodgson*

Fixed.

And like what ninja321 said "lack of passion, unlike in 11-12 season" + A hot LA team = Unfortunate end to the Canucks season.

This is what I had always thought, but the more I think about it I'm sure line inconsistency (players being swapt constantly) played a major role.

#10 deized_kanuck604

deized_kanuck604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Alain Vigneault. That is alL!
Posted Image

a true faN.
!kilLuminati!

#11 Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

I bet it would have been closer if Daniel Sedin, and Ehrhoff were still in the lineup against LA. Maybe stretched to game 7?

Although the lack of drive definitely was part of the reason.

#12 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

If you pick names out of a hat each playoff game to decide the lines, you're gonna have a bad time.

#13 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

Oh man. Our 2011 roster would have steamrolled the competition this year. How unfortunate it was that Ehrhoff was a money ***** and Torres was a locker room cancer.

Sig too big. 

#14 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

Oh man. Our 2011 roster would have steamrolled the competition this year. How unfortunate it was that Ehrhoff was a money ***** and Torres was a locker room cancer.

#15 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

MG could have pbbly landed Carter for Schneider. If possible he should have done it. Sometimes you just have to go for it and make a bold move.

Carter on the Canucks instead of on the Kings would have significantly increased the chances of turning the series in our favour.

#16 Blueberries

Blueberries

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

Might wanna fix ur sig Weber is going nowhere

Posted Image

THANKS TO VINTAGE CANUCK FOR THE AWESOME SIG!!

#17 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

Where does anyone say Torres was a locker room cancer???? He didn't stay because MG offered him 1 year and Raffi wanted 2.
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#18 VANFAN101

VANFAN101

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

MG could have pbbly landed Carter for Schneider. If possible he should have done it. Sometimes you just have to go for it and make a bold move.

Carter on the Canucks instead of on the Kings would have significantly increased the chances of turning the series in our favour.

Carter on the Canucks wouldn't have turned the series in our favour, we would have had him from the beginning.
I also think that Carter joining the kings gave Richards more motivation, which was one of things i feared when I knew we were gonna play the kings. Him, Sutter's coaching, and Quick.

Edited by VANFAN101, 03 September 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#19 kesler'sselke

kesler'sselke

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

We ran into a hot team with a hot goalie. We played great but Kings played better. Ya the Kassian trade did work out that well but that shouldn't be the reason why we didn't get pass the first round. Daniel's injury is one of the main reason but there are other factors as well. Either way it was a disappointing season.

#20 canuck cole

canuck cole

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

Uh, don't know if I would do that trade. While Carter was a good playoff performer, it was Kopitar, Brown, and the entire defense that put LA over the top.

#21 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,261 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

Gotta agree with that concise description of Torres and Ehrhoff. That is exactly what caused them to part from the team.

#22 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

I think if we got Carter, we would've had to somehow get Richards as well. Either in the same package or seperate deals.
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#23 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

Gotta agree with that concise description of Torres and Ehrhoff. That is exactly what caused them to part from the team.

Didn't Hoff take a long cap/team loyal contract vs the big $ that was expected? I definitely don't get the Torres thing, he was a beast and seemed well liked.

#24 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,870 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

Our defence was the biggest issue. The only reason we didn't get blown out every single game was the play of both our great goalies. Sure we couldn't score, but it all starts from us getting hemmed in our own zone because our pathetic excuse for a defence couldn't get the puck out against the L.A forecheck, and kept giving up glorious opportunities to their forwards, including countless odd-man rushes and breakaways against our netminders.

Hamhuis was the only defenceman who played well, and even he at times struggled against the big Kings forwards. Our defence needs to play a much safer, more stay-at-home style and be more physical as opposed to jumping up in the rush so often and getting caught gambling because good coaches can easily exploit that - it's much harder to exploit a stay-at-home defence, which seems to be the way to win Cups nowadays.

Hopefully Garrison will help in that direction, and Tanev can develop enough to become a good stay-at-home guy. I still believe we need more physicality so hopefully Alberts will draw into more contests because we really should of used his size more in the playoffs - he's the only guy who could have contested the L.A (and even Boston) giants up front, who basically cake-walked our fragile D.
Posted Image

#25 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,433 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

We need depth on defense. I'm not talking Rome type depth. I'm talking guys in the system who can step in and contribute in the regular season or playoffs. We also need to be firing on all cylinders in the playoffs with 3 lines rolling, and three lines scoring.
Strong goaltending, and consistent effort to finish it all off. In short. We need to improvise, adapt, overcome.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#26 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,417 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

Puck possession went way down late in the season and our goaltending had to bail us out.

Fatigue. Realizing that another lengthly cup run is highly improbable. Meh.

When we won the President's i was like, now there's our consolation prize. Yay! With Daniel down we weren't goin' nowhere.
Posted Image

#27 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

This is a good assessment. In 2010-11 the Canucks put teams away regularly. In 2011-12 they did just enough to win. In short they played 2011-12 like they were the defending champions with nothing to prove. Instead of a team hungry to prove something.

#28 jatylo

jatylo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

I agree with ninja321, we lacked the drive that teams need for deep playoff runs . I believed it started the month before the playoffs, we were just not the same team we were the until then. (i know we were resting for playoffs, but the last 3-5 games you have to get back to winning).

#29 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

(i know we were resting for playoffs, but the last 3-5 games you have to get back to winning).

Actually the Canucks were one of the hottest teams going into the playoffs. Canucks went 8-1 down the stretch in their last 9 games.

#30 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

lets just be happy everybody got a full summer off for a change...

training camp is gonna be bustin with no injuries gatorade...I can see it now!!

Edited by VanCityScout, 03 September 2012 - 08:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.