The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How did the Canucks Lose so bad then ?

Ballisticsports.

No chemistry, Keenan was terrible behind the bench, nobody was really on the same page. Keenan would trash guys in the press or to each other in the room as some kind of divide-and-conquer motivational technique, it didn't work at all, just made guys give up. Didn't help that it was only three years since the '94 series and now those guys had Keenan and Messier as coach/captain, just bad chemistry.

From Quinn to Keenan?

That would shake up any team. Whether it was in a good way or a bad way is arguable.

I Couldn't get even behind Messier as our captain.

Didn't even watch again until the West Coast Express showed up.

Those were my dark Canuck fan days for sure.

Let's see since then the Canucks have in those 15 years:

-made to a Stanley Cup final

-won their first 2 presidents trophies

-had players claim the franchises first ever Art Ross trophies in back to back years

-had a player win the franchises first ever Hart Trophy

-had the most exciting/energizing line in hockey for the better part of 2 years in the West Coast Express

-went from a franchise that was a "phone call away from being moved" to one of the richest, most stable, hockey businesses

We've had a lot to celebrate, do I need to go on?

I'd give my left nut for the Canucks to win the Cup but what's the point in only celebrating Stanley Cup wins? Sure, we shouldn't celebrate the above as much as we would a Cup win, but if the Stanley Cup was the only thing that was worth celebrating we'd be happy at most 1 night a year. That's not very entertaining.

The late 90s Canucks had a tonne of their own problems, but there were also some Godzillas in the Western Conference to contend with - Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, St Louis. Even if the Canucks were a cohesive team, they weren't going to beat any of those guys in the 2nd round.

It's no wonder I blanked out my memory of the Canucks from Linden's trade until the WCE emerged.

The late 90s Canucks had a tonne of their own problems, but there were also some Godzillas in the Western Conference to contend with - Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, St Louis. Even if the Canucks were a cohesive team, they weren't going to beat any of those guys in the 2nd round.

It's no wonder I blanked out my memory of the Canucks from Linden's trade until the WCE emerged.

Those teams, minus St Louis, owned the Western Conference.

Our best had no chance against;

Colorado

Forsberg, Sakic, Hejduk, Tanguay, Blake, Foote, Roy

Detroit

Yzerman, Federov, Larionov, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Chelios, Hasek

Dallas

Modano, Hull, Nieuwendyk, Hatcher, Zubov, Sydor, Belfour

Totally agree. Obviously a cup would mean so much to Canucks fans, but it shouldn't completely discredit other successes.

There are lots of sports franchises with long histories of not winning it all, but they are still proud franchises with proud fans. There's no reason why Canucks fans shouldn't be the same way.

Look at the Blackhawks. It took them 50 years to win a cup post original 6, and now look how cocky all their fans are. One cup can change everything. Same with the Boston Bruins. It took them 40 years to win a cup since they won it back when the league was half the size and way less competitive.

If the last time your team won was in the 60's or 70's, you don't have any more right to brag than us IMO.

If your team hasn't made the playoffs in the last 6 years, you shouldn't be bragging either.

I don't see anything wrong with bragging about recent accomplishments.

If the last time your team won was in the 60's or 70's, you don't have any more right to brag than us IMO.

If your team hasn't made the playoffs in the last 6 years, you shouldn't be bragging either.

I don't see anything wrong with bragging about recent accomplishments.

If a TO fan is ever giving you a hard time about the lack of Vancouver Cups, remind them that the Leafs have never won a Cup that required more than 2 series wins.

Can you believe that the Islanders won 19 straight Playoff series? Just think about that.

Archived