Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Habs offer Subban 3 year deal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 -CanuckMan-

-CanuckMan-

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:07 AM

The Habs have offered P.K. a 3 year deal worth 12 million. If this works out then it seems like a steal as he already is playing top pairing minutes and will only get better. Bergevin seems to know what he's doing.

Link: http://www.sportsnet...five_year_deal/

Josh Rimer@JoshRimerHockey
Hearing MTL Canadiens expected to announce new 3 year deal with PK Subban this week. Deal all but done.

Edited by kesrocks2012, 08 September 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#2 Virt 'n Kass

Virt 'n Kass

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

I'm guessing around $4.5 per.

#3 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

3 yrs $4 M per sounds pretty fair
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#4 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,742 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

Bergevin taking this team in the right direction.

kb71ZMt.jpg

#5 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

good sigining for the Habs.

Subban-Markov
Kaberle-Gorges

not a bad top 4

#6 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

I would have signed him Long Term maybe 5+ years at like 5 - 5.5.

#7 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

good price pk is a boss
Posted Image

#8 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

His agent should have the open ice hit on Marchand looped on a big screen in the background during negotiations.

#9 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

I would think PK would want more money at that length, or a longer term deal.
Players of his calibre have been getting much more lucrative contracts.

Jagermeister.jpg

#10 -CanuckMan-

-CanuckMan-

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

I would think PK would want more money at that length, or a longer term deal.
Players of his calibre have been getting much more lucrative contracts.

I think they told him to take the Price approach. Show what you can do then get paid long term. I think after this one he will get his big payday he deserves.

#11 Mollyworld

Mollyworld

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

Bergevin taking this team in the right direction.

This is one of those comments that drives me crazy. How is GMMB offering a contract to an RFA, top pairing DMan taking the team in the right direction? Any GM in his right mind would do that.

#12 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,955 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

If that's what the deal will be, then that's a great deal for the Habs.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#13 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

I get the feeling Subban will get more then that if the contract is 3 years.

#14 .Naslund

.Naslund

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

Good price for now, but the Habs aren't competing any time soon, and by the time Subban's contract expires he'll probably be able to demand way more money. Smart move by Subban
Posted Image

#15 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

This is one of those comments that drives me crazy. How is GMMB offering a contract to an RFA, top pairing DMan taking the team in the right direction? Any GM in his right mind would do that.

I think his comment is more about the type of contract Suban is offered (3 years @ $4 mill per) rather than the fact that he was offered a contract at all. Of course Suban is going to be re-signed but for how long and for how much.

DAL is attempting following a similar path with Benn, COL gave Duchesne a 2 year contract, WPG has yet to give Kane big money so I presume they are using similar strategy with Kane. Carlson in WSH and Del Zotto in NYR are not signed. It's thought these teams are using the advantages they have in the CBA to keep player cost down particularly for young players coming out of their ELC.The current CBA was designed to enable GM's to control team salaries with these types deals, Instead some GM's have been giving their RFA's huge life time contracts, ie: Doughty, Hall, Eberle.

Hall in particular is coming off two injury shortened seasons. EDM had complete control and could have chosen to wait and see how Hall does next year. They could have waited until Hall's ELC was finished before re-signing him. Instead they chose to give Hall a 7 year $42 mill extension. Some say it's a great move some say it's risky, but what this type of contract does is drive up player cost when EDM had the option to go a different route.

In this sense GMMB is taking his team in the right direction by not giving an up and coming star a lengthy and expensive contract before the player has completely proven he deserves it.

#16 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

good sigining for the Habs.

Subban-Markov (OLD & INJURY PRONE)
Kaberle (OLD & PAST HIS PRIME)-Gorges

not a bad top 4

Edited by Pasific Coluseum, 08 September 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#17 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,742 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

Well there's the Prust signing, drafting Galch etc.

Doing more than Gillis.

kb71ZMt.jpg

#18 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,741 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

Why not like 5 years?

307mg00.jpg

#19 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

Well there's the Prust signing, drafting Galch etc.

Doing more than Gillis.

Really? signing one of the most coveted UFA's on the market to a great contract in Jason Garrison and drafting Gaunce don't count the way signing Prust and drafting Galch do? Interesting.

It seems I was wrong is assessing your comment re MB taking the team in the right direction. I thought you were speaking from a much more knowledgeable point of view. Seems Mollyworld was pretty much bang on.

#20 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,742 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

Really? signing one of the most coveted UFA's on the market to a great contract in Jason Garrison and drafting Gaunce don't count the way signing Prust and drafting Galch do? Interesting.

It seems I was wrong is assessing your comment re MB taking the team in the right direction. I thought you were speaking from a much more knowledgeable point of view. Seems Mollyworld was pretty much bang on.

Gillis let a proven top 4 D go and replaced him with a guy who's never shown consistency at an NHL level.

kb71ZMt.jpg

#21 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,634 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:37 PM

Gillis let a proven top 4 D go and replaced him with a guy who's never shown consistency at an NHL level.

lol. Salo was great but with Garrison we get a replacement top 4, shutdown D who is 10 years younger, bigger, and faster than Sami.

And way to contradict yourself there.

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 08 September 2012 - 05:46 PM.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#22 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

Whether you think a 38 year old Salo is better than a 27 year old Garrison is a different subject. Every GM in the NHL likely disagrees with you.

Is MB doing more by drafting a 1st round pick and signing a UFA than MG drafting a 1st round pick and signing a UFA? I don't understand the logic behind your thought.

#23 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,742 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

Whether you think a 38 year old Salo is better than a 27 year old Garrison is a different subject. Every GM in the NHL likely disagrees with you.

Is MB doing more by drafting a 1st round pick and signing a UFA than MG drafting a 1st round pick and signing a UFA? I don't understand the logic behind your thought.

This is not the case, I have no doubt in my mind.

That being said, all MG had to do was call Garrison, a player who has stated multiple times he wants to play here.

MB addressed a huge team need by bringing in size this off season, and was given an absolute mess to work with.

kb71ZMt.jpg

#24 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

This is not the case, I have no doubt in my mind.

That being said, all MG had to do was call Garrison, a player who has stated multiple times he wants to play here.

MB addressed a huge team need by bringing in size this off season, and was given an absolute mess to work with.

Your mind should have strong doubts.

That being said all MB had to do was call Prust and offer him a ridiculous $10 million over 4 year. I don't know how Prust could have said no to that type of overpayment.

Prust is only 6'.0 &195 lbs. Not a big guy. He does bring lots of grit though.

#25 Mollyworld

Mollyworld

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:26 PM

I think his comment is more about the type of contract Suban is offered (3 years @ $4 mill per) rather than the fact that he was offered a contract at all. Of course Suban is going to be re-signed but for how long and for how much.

DAL is attempting following a similar path with Benn, COL gave Duchesne a 2 year contract, WPG has yet to give Kane big money so I presume they are using similar strategy with Kane. Carlson in WSH and Del Zotto in NYR are not signed. It's thought these teams are using the advantages they have in the CBA to keep player cost down particularly for young players coming out of their ELC.The current CBA was designed to enable GM's to control team salaries with these types deals, Instead some GM's have been giving their RFA's huge life time contracts, ie: Doughty, Hall, Eberle.

Hall in particular is coming off two injury shortened seasons. EDM had complete control and could have chosen to wait and see how Hall does next year. They could have waited until Hall's ELC was finished before re-signing him. Instead they chose to give Hall a 7 year $42 mill extension. Some say it's a great move some say it's risky, but what this type of contract does is drive up player cost when EDM had the option to go a different route.

In this sense GMMB is taking his team in the right direction by not giving an up and coming star a lengthy and expensive contract before the player has completely proven he deserves it.

No different than GMMG coming out and saying he offered Edler, Burrows, etc. a decent long term contract. Not moving in the right direction, in fact it could easily backfire on you. If Subban for some reason feels insulted by the contract then having it go public could go south quickly. Not saying that the Habs leaked it, could be Subban's agent for that matter, but what I am saying is that offering a contract is the job of a GM, getting it accepted at a reasonable term and cost that keeps all sides happy is moving in the right direction.

#26 Raymond Ballard and a 1st

Raymond Ballard and a 1st

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:31 AM

Seems like a fair deal for both sides.

#27 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

4 million per year would be fair. That'll set the market for all the other RFA defensemen left as well. Guys like Del Zotto, Carlson and Kulikov will already probably sign for around 4 million.

Now Dallas just give Benn the Hall/Eberle deal and be done with it.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#28 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

Get your heads out of your butts people.

Proven maybe, top 4 NO. Salo is 30 fricking 8 years old and our actual team defence was terrible last year and got worse as the year went on, and Salo looked worse as well as the year went on.

Garrison is a huge upgrade and has actually had two really good years now, he is big, mobile, and younger, which we needed to get when you consider Edler and Bieksa are both horrible at defending. Salo could have signed to play on the third line but that's it.

Edited by Dogbyte, 11 September 2012 - 12:48 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.