Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Which carriers should I buy with the new iphone5?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 canucksfreakie

canucksfreakie

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:40 PM

Now that the new beautiful device was unveiled today
looking for the best deal to get a new iphone5
anyone :D?

#2 Lups

Lups

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,503 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

Telus

ifcoyb.jpg

Signature Credit goes to Vintage Canuck___________small.pngGM - STHS

NHL: Vancouver&Toronto / MLB: Toronto / NBA: Dallas / NFL: Philadelphia

#3 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,400 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm on Bell (with an iPhone 3GS) right now and am not overly impressed with the reception. Virtually no reception when I used to be up at SFU, and also a lot of very low signal areas in New West and Coquitlam. And I'm not a fan of their plans.

Are Bell, Telus, and Rogers the only providers who'll sell the new iPhone?
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#4 Lups

Lups

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,503 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm on Bell (with an iPhone 3GS) right now and am not overly impressed with the reception. Virtually no reception when I used to be up at SFU, and also a lot of very low signal areas in New West and Coquitlam. And I'm not a fan of their plans.

Are Bell, Telus, and Rogers the only providers who'll sell the new iPhone?

Yes. Any other providers are just companies owned by one of those companies. A good example is FiDo. I don't think Wind will be getting the iPhone

ifcoyb.jpg

#5 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,400 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

Yes. Any other providers are just companies owned by one of those companies. A good example is FiDo. I don't think Wind will be getting the iPhone

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I've heard a lot of conflicted reports about Wind anyways. Their plans sound awesome but a lot of people complain about too many dropped calls and dead zones.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#6 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

It doesn't matter if the carrier will be getting it, I'm pretty sure you can always unlock your iPhone.

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#7 CIA

CIA

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

Just to be certain, any phone bought from the apple store is unlocked right? As in I can use it with any carrier. I'm with koodo at the moment.
Posted Image

#8 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

Now that the new beautiful device was unveiled today
looking for the best deal to get a new iphone5
anyone :D?

Get Nokia Lumia 920 or Samsung Galaxy S3 since they both have superior hardware in comparison to iPhone 5 and Android Jelly Bean is better than iOS6 from most of the things I've read online. Apple didn't really improve that much on the iPhone 4S aside from it having a little bit faster processor and 0.5" longer screen. Lumia 920 has the best screen, camera and processor on the market right now along with the most high tech charging system. Samsung S3 has the biggest screen. iPhone 5 has .....???

Edited by Pouria, 12 September 2012 - 07:52 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Lups

Lups

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,503 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

It doesn't matter if the carrier will be getting it, I'm pretty sure you can always unlock your iPhone.

Good luck convincing the provider to unlock their phone. Plus an unlocked iphone5 would cost a fortune. You'd have to open up a mortgage LOL

ifcoyb.jpg

#10 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

^^ Most people give two craps about which phone is superior. It's quite clear that Samsung produces the best phones...but I'd still rather buy an iPhone. A megapixel or a millisecond isn't going to affect my decision.

Go with Rogers or whoever gives you the best deal. You can always sell the plan and unlock the phone so you can use it with any carrier that you like.

* you can unlock for free via jailbreak or get it done for $15-30 dollars at some tech shop.

Edited by A1 CANUCK, 12 September 2012 - 08:14 PM.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#11 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

Good luck convincing the provider to unlock their phone. Plus an unlocked iphone5 would cost a fortune. You'd have to open up a mortgage LOL

.....You don't have to convince the provider...you can do it yourself..........and its cheap.............

+1 this post!

Posted Image

#12 Lups

Lups

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,503 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

.....You don't have to convince the provider...you can do it yourself..........and its cheap.............

Where would you get an iPhone 5 not attached to a contract for cheap? I'd love to know!

ifcoyb.jpg

#13 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Just to be certain, any phone bought from the apple store is unlocked right? As in I can use it with any carrier. I'm with koodo at the moment.

They are if you buy it outright which will be like $7-$1000. There are places that will unlock phones tied to carriers but you will need to sign up to a plan too which will be like 700 to buy out

#14 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

good choice on chosing the iphone5. I heard fido and telus is ok.

Get Nokia Lumia 920 or Samsung Galaxy S3 since they both have superior hardware in comparison to iPhone 5 and Android Jelly Bean is better than iOS6 from most of the things I've read online. Apple didn't really improve that much on the iPhone 4S aside from it having a little bit faster processor and 0.5" longer screen. Lumia 920 has the best screen, camera and processor on the market right now along with the most high tech charging system. Samsung S3 has the biggest screen. iPhone 5 has .....???

The iphone 5 is 18 % thinner, 20% lighter. It has a larger screen, and supier photo quality. It also has the new 3d map feature, which looks awesome, 8 hours talk time, also never before seen applications before which will kick ass.

Despite what you said in slamming apple, apple is fully aware that, no matter what kind of phone they release, their competitors will come out with another phone that has higher specs then them. That's out of their control. Apple can release another phone that has higher specs then the other one their competitor just released, but then the competitor will just release another faster and stronger then it. It's a suicidal loop, that goes nowhere. Apple just made 1 phone, and that will be the iphone 5. They know they wont have the best camera, they know they wont have a widest screen (btw, this is soooo overrated you guys are hilarious. I personally prefer a smaller phone then to take a break around with me). They made the risk of making a bigger screen, but not too big, but once again, their out of the box thinking will propell the iphone 5 to be the highest selling phone of all time. You seem Samsung? To every one phone apple releases , SAmsung releases 6 or 7? It's hilarious, thats not what apple wants to do.

Anyways OP, I respect your decision to go apple. The iphone5 is probalby more then good enough for the average person. Apple is so damn smart, its hilarious. The day everyone hates them, it's the day they are very successful.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#15 soshified

soshified

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

Dude, who the hell cares. We all know that the S3 is better than the iPhone, well, except for Apple fanboys. But if the OP wants to buy an iPhone, let him buy an iPhone.

Anyways, are you going to buy an unlocked one? If so, go with Wind/Mobilicity/Virgin Mobile... if you dont care about reception. If not, i'll say Fido or Rogers.

Edited by soshified, 12 September 2012 - 08:27 PM.

Posted Image

#16 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

^^ Most people give two craps about which phone is superior. It's quite clear that Samsung produces the best phones...but I'd still rather buy an iPhone. A megapixel or a millisecond isn't going to affect my decision.

Go with Rogers or whoever gives you the best deal. You can always sell the plan and unlock the phone so you can use it with any carrier that you like.

* you can unlock for free via jailbreak or get it done for $15-30 dollars at some tech shop.

Well said. Nothing against Samsung, one of their stradegies is to make a phone more powerful and higher specs then the ihpone5. blah blah blah, quite predictable, but to some consumers that doesn't really matter, as long as it does the job. BTW, my friend has to charge his samsung galaxy 3, 3 times per day. Yup, thats how fast it drains.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

#17 Durl Dixsun

Durl Dixsun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

FIDO!

Posted Image

#18 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

They are if you buy it outright which will be like $7-$1000. There are places that will unlock phones tied to carriers but you will need to sign up to a plan too which will be like 700 to buy out

It would be better to just get the unlocked phone and go with wind or mobilicity for cheap $30 plans, then pay $200-$300 upfront plus $3000 after a 3 year contract. You'd probably save $1000-$1500 just buying the phone unlocked and going cheap rest of the way. People actually think they save by getting a 3-year contract?

Posted Image

#19 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

Dude, who the hell cares. We all know that the S3 is better than the iPhone, well, except for Apple fanboys. But if the OP wants to buy an iPhone, let him buy an iPhone.

Anyways, are you going to buy an unlocked one? If so, go with Wind/Mobilicity/Virgin Mobile... if you dont care about reception. If not, i'll say Fido then Rogers.

dude... apple knows, the Samsung galaxy 3 is better........... not just the "fanboys." its a no brainer. People trust apple. Nuff said. Apple could have released a phone more superior to the samsung galaxy 3 if they wanted too. But then Samsung will just release another one more stronger, and apple doesn't want to be caught in a loop were they are just making a new phone, just to have stronger specs then their main competitor. Only a stupid company would do that.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

#20 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

good choice on chosing the iphone5. I heard fido and telus is ok.

The iphone 5 is 18 % thinner, 20% lighter. It has a larger screen, and supier photo quality. It also has the new 3d map feature, which looks awesome, 8 hours talk time, also never before seen applications before which will kick ass.

Despite what you said in slamming apple, apple is fully aware that, no matter what kind of phone they release, their competitors will come out with another phone that has higher specs then them. That's out of their control. Apple can release another phone that has higher specs then the other one their competitor just released, but then the competitor will just release another faster and stronger then it. It's a suicidal loop, that goes nowhere. Apple just made 1 phone, and that will be the iphone 5. They know they wont have the best camera, they know they wont have a widest screen (btw, this is soooo overrated you guys are hilarious. I personally prefer a smaller phone then to take a break around with me). They made the risk of making a bigger screen, but not too big, but once again, their out of the box thinking will propell the iphone 5 to be the highest selling phone of all time. You seem Samsung? To every one phone apple releases , SAmsung releases 6 or 7? It's hilarious, thats not what apple wants to do.

Anyways OP, I respect your decision to go apple. The iphone5 is probalby more then good enough for the average person. Apple is so damn smart, its hilarious. The day everyone hates them, it's the day they are very successful.

Well, their competitor came out with a superior phone compared to iphone 5 a year ago so I don't know what you mean by that. Unless you are buying for the brand and logo and not anything else, I will understand. So will you want to pay more for a phone that is not the best?

Posted Image

#21 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

Where would you get an iPhone 5 not attached to a contract for cheap? I'd love to know!

It's something called going online, downloading some stuff and then unlocking your iphone.

+1 this post!

Posted Image

#22 Lups

Lups

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,503 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

It's something called going online, downloading some stuff and then unlocking your iphone.

That didn't answer my question. Where would you get a cheap iPhone 5 WITHOUT a contract?? (If you get a contract then unlocking the phone is pointless for 3 years)

ifcoyb.jpg

#23 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

It would be better to just get the unlocked phone and go with wind or mobilicity for cheap $30 plans, then pay $200-$300 upfront plus $3000 after a 3 year contract. You'd probably save $1000-$1500 just buying the phone unlocked and going cheap rest of the way. People actually think they save by getting a 3-year contract?

I been preaching this the whole time, I don't get why people get locked up in contracts and not think long term..in the long run you save more by buying out the phone and you have the freedom of going to any provider with the better deals, believe me in those 3 yrs you lock yourself down for, you don't think a yr or 2 down the line there will be better deals? at the end of the day do whatever the F you wanna do!

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#24 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

That didn't answer my question. Where would you get a cheap iPhone 5 WITHOUT a contract?? (If you get a contract then unlocking the phone is pointless for 3 years)

Craigslist. 100s of phones for sale...

Most people that want to make a quick profit will buy the iPhone from a provider (Rogers, Telus, Bell), unlock it then sell it to someone for a profit.

...All you have to do is take out the sim from the phone, no phone is locked to a contract LOL.

*same thing goes for contracts. Get a good contract, sell it to somebody for a profit and keep the iPhone

Edited by A1 CANUCK, 12 September 2012 - 09:20 PM.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#25 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:22 PM

What I want to know is why do people come into a thread which is specifically about the iPhone 5 and start talking about the Samsung Galaxy S3 or some other phone?

The OP has made it clear that he or she wants the iPhone 5 and is asking for a good service provider, they are not asking about which phone to buy.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

Personally I'd buy the phone off contract. Why? Well they just put a new radio into it that supports the AWS band. That means you will most probably be able to run this thing on Wind or Mobilicity (90% sure).

If you're mainly around the GVRD paying $40/month for unlimited everything is an amazing deal.

Amazing oppurtunity if you want the iPhone because iPhone users get extorted quite frankly with the plans they pay for.

Posted Image

#27 RiCHC3

RiCHC3

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:07 PM

Get a Telus employee to give you their passcode for the Telus Friends and Family website. You typically score around -$60 off the standard price. Sometimes they have special plans on there, but not always.

#28 22Sedinery33

22Sedinery33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

Iphone 5 is over rated as always, nothing special about this one. It's all about the name now and Pouria said it best... Btw as for which service provider to go with, choose Fido for their 2 year contract.

Edited by KeslersPlayoffBeard, 12 September 2012 - 11:47 PM.

Posted Image

#29 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:23 AM

Doesn't matter. Galaxy's better. :bigblush:
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#30 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

Aside of Wind and a few other mostly-independents who have terrible coverage, when it pertains to the Big 3 and their budget brands I just shrug because they're the same really. Fido used to be great in it's own unique way with how it offered services before Rogers bought it out, but discussing it independently of Rogers in the context of what OP is asking for is pointless.

As someone who's been with all three I'd say it doesn't matter service-wise which you go with, they all have very good coverage areas, what I would do is look extensively at their plans as to which specifically caters to the way you wish to use the service, and obviously at a cheaper price.

An example of what I mean is when I switched to Bell I had made sure to ask all the questions about their plans and such, had a nice, candid employer help me figure out a way to move my Samsung Note over to a $20 - $35 flex tablet plan they don't like to offer what they technically describe as "phones", because they like to nickel and dime people with voice, data, voicemail/callerid/3-way/forwarding, texting, etc., whereas a tablet plan is just a simple data plan with no voice or any of that other junk.

I'm thinking you're going to get the iPhone 5 subsidised so given the term length to make the most out of it I'd research hard about which plan you want to stay with for a few years.

Edited by zaibatsu, 13 September 2012 - 08:16 AM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.