The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which carriers should I buy with the new iphone5?

canucksfreakie

It would be better to just get the unlocked phone and go with wind or mobilicity for cheap $30 plans, then pay $200-$300 upfront plus $3000 after a 3 year contract. You'd probably save $1000-$1500 just buying the phone unlocked and going cheap rest of the way. People actually think they save by getting a 3-year contract?

Personally I'd buy the phone off contract. Why? Well they just put a new radio into it that supports the AWS band. That means you will most probably be able to run this thing on Wind or Mobilicity (90% sure).

If you're mainly around the GVRD paying $40/month for unlimited everything is an amazing deal.

Amazing oppurtunity if you want the iPhone because iPhone users get extorted quite frankly with the plans they pay for.

Iphone 5 is over rated as always, nothing special about this one. It's all about the name now and Pouria said it best... Btw as for which service provider to go with, choose Fido for their 2 year contract.

Get Nokia Lumia 920 or Samsung Galaxy S3 since they both have superior hardware in comparison to iPhone 5 and Android Jelly Bean is better than iOS6 from most of the things I've read online. Apple didn't really improve that much on the iPhone 4S aside from it having a little bit faster processor and 0.5" longer screen. Lumia 920 has the best screen, camera and processor on the market right now along with the most high tech charging system. Samsung S3 has the biggest screen. iPhone 5 has .....???

Aside of Wind and a few other mostly-independents who have terrible coverage, when it pertains to the Big 3 and their budget brands I just shrug because they're the same really. Fido used to be great in it's own unique way with how it offered services before Rogers bought it out, but discussing it independently of Rogers in the context of what OP is asking for is pointless.

As someone who's been with all three I'd say it doesn't matter service-wise which you go with, they all have very good coverage areas, what I would do is look extensively at their plans as to which specifically caters to the way you wish to use the service, and obviously at a cheaper price.

An example of what I mean is when I switched to Bell I had made sure to ask all the questions about their plans and such, had a nice, candid employer help me figure out a way to move my Samsung Note over to a $20 - $35 flex tablet plan they don't like to offer what they technically describe as "phones", because they like to nickel and dime people with voice, data, voicemail/callerid/3-way/forwarding, texting, etc., whereas a tablet plan is just a simple data plan with no voice or any of that other junk.

I'm thinking you're going to get the iPhone 5 subsidised so given the term length to make the most out of it I'd research hard about which plan you want to stay with for a few years.

There is no cheap way with no contract it's going to cost $700+. I'm not sure why people are against contracts. You are going to have a cell phone for the next 3 years. It's not like you can't change your plan If a better deal comes along (with that provider). The big 3 are usually very close in pricing. The only places like Wind, koodo and other major municipality providers are cheaper but lets face it unless you are in a major area there are alot of dead zones..

Find what areas you spend most of your time in and find which company has the best service. For me Telus has overall better service in the areas I spend time in mostly but I have friends in other cities where Rogers has a stronger signal at their homes, etc.

How is the reception on Fido?

And how much are most people paying for iPhone plans right now?

My bill is about $65/month

Includes 250 talk, free e/w starting at 6:00pm

1000 texts

Voicemail and Caller ID

500GB MB data

This was about 5 years ago that I got this plan. I'd have to think they've gotten better since then right?

Well said. Nothing against Samsung, one of their stradegies is to make a phone more powerful and higher specs then the ihpone5. blah blah blah, quite predictable, but to some consumers that doesn't really matter, as long as it does the job. BTW, my friend has to charge his samsung galaxy 3, 3 times per day. Yup, thats how fast it drains.

If you're a student (or someone with low income), stay within the GVRD, and have a phone that supports the bands, I see no reason why you shouldn't go to Wind. The reception issue was something that was apparent two years back, but I haven't hit a dead zone in over a year. And at sub $50/month it really is a no brainer.

Try it out for a month or two, they don't lock you into a contract so there's nothing to lose.

If you're a student (or someone with low income), stay within the GVRD, and have a phone that supports the bands, I see no reason why you shouldn't go to Wind. The reception issue was something that was apparent two years back, but I haven't hit a dead zone in over a year. And at sub $50/month it really is a no brainer.

Try it out for a month or two, they don't lock you into a contract so there's nothing to lose.

How is the reception on Fido?

And how much are most people paying for iPhone plans right now?

My bill is about $65/month

Includes 250 talk, free e/w starting at 6:00pm

1000 texts

Voicemail and Caller ID

500GB data

This was about 5 years ago that I got this plan. I'd have to think they've gotten better since then right?

Archived