• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

Red Wings fined for Devellano comments

By Jesse Campigotto, CBC Sports

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 12:27 PM ET

Last Updated: Sep 22, 2012 12:51 PM ET

Posted Image
Red Wings senior vice president Jim Devellano, right, with general manager Ken Holland at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh. (Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

The Detroit Red Wings have been fined by the NHL for lockout-related comments made by team executive Jim Devellano in an interview published earlier this week.
The amount of the fine was not disclosed in Saturday’s announcement by the league.
NHL commissioner
Gary Bettman has reportedly threatened teams with the possibility of a $1-million US fine for inappropriate comments during the current work stoppage. :picard:
"The Detroit Red Wings’ organization and the league agree that the comments made by Mr. Devellano are neither appropriate, nor authorized, nor permissible under the league's by-laws," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in a statement. "Such comments are neither constructive nor helpful to the negotiations.”
In an interview that appeared on the Island Sports News website, Devellano referred to NHL players and executives such as himself as “the cattle” and owners as “the ranch.”
“The owners own the ranch and allow the players to eat there,” Devellano was quoted as saying. “That's the way it’s always been and that’s the way it will be forever. And the owners simply aren't going to let a union push them around. It's not going to happen."
Devellano, 69, was the Red Wings' general manager for eight seasons until moving to his current job as senior vice president in 1990. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1990 under the builder category.
Commenting on the Philadelphia Flyers' 14-year, $110-million offer sheet to restricted free agent defenceman Shea Weber this summer, which was later matched by the Nashville Predators, Devellano said there was an "unwritten rule" against such moves — a comment that could potentially be viewed as an indication of collusion.
"If you are asking me if it's right, I would say there is, again, an unwritten rule," Devellano was quoted as saying. "We all know it in the NHL, but not everyone follows it."
Devellano also floated an idea for dividing revenues between the owners and players — one of the sticking points of the lockout, which entered its seventh day on Saturday.
“Let the players take 43 per cent and let the owners take 57 per cent,” Devellano was quoted as saying. “Just reverse it from where it is now and let the owners run the rest of their business and manage their expenses.”
Devellano suggested that players should be “grateful” for the salaries they receive from owners.
"Yes, [owners] are billionaires. Good on them, they deserve it, but they also make their employees millionaires. Not a bad trade off for a guy like [Bruins forward Milan] Lucic getting, what, $6 million a year? I mean good on him too, but he should be grateful.”
According to capgeek.com, Lucic was due to make $4.25 million US this season, and $5.5 million in 2013-14, when his salary-cap hit will be $6 million.

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger
Sounds like the Red Wings fine for Jimmy D's comments is in the neighborhood of $250,000. Ouch.

Article by CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/sp...llano-fine.html

Edited by Tystick, 22 September 2012 - 10:55 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

Good, Devellano is a tool.
Posted Image

#3 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

He's just saying what everyone knows already

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#4 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

Just like going off on Refs, you get handed a hefty fine for telling the truth.

#5 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

"And the truth shall set you free" .. if Jimmy is a "tool", what does that make Gary??

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#6 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

I didn't see anything wrong with his comments, it's true.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#7 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

This is just crazy...

Edited by Grammar Police, 23 September 2012 - 02:45 AM.

#8 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,659 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

Apparently honesty is frowned upon.

Lucic is overpaid as well.

#9 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,720 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

I forgot, but did this ever happen in the 04-05 lockout?

#10 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

Oversensitive NHL getting their backs up over nothing but honesty.

It's a sad, sensitive world we live in.

/=S=/

#11 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

Yet smashing a guys head into the glass results in a fee that is 100 times smaller.

Disgusting how the NHL works, isn't it?

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#12 Scoobydooby

Scoobydooby

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

Yet smashing a guys head into the glass results in a fee that is 100 times smaller.

How true.. which one results in more damage or the potential for more damage?

I am seeing less and less reasons to come back to the nhl as a fan.. people arent allowed to say anything negetive against it otherwise the nhl will fine you.. some democracy.. i hope Bettman and his regime are fired asap but I fear they wont be.

Posted Image

#13 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:33 PM

Wow, I loved his comments. Finally someone is being honest about the situation.

I wonder what exactly the "unwritten rule" is?

#14 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:34 PM

I hate Bettman

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#15 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,262 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

What happened to the First Amendment.... :picard: ?
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#16 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,843 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:57 PM

Wow, I loved his comments. Finally someone is being honest about the situation.

I wonder what exactly the "unwritten rule" is?

The unwritten rule is that you don't throw huge offer sheets at superstars that you know the other team isn't willing to let go. All it does is jack up how much that star has to be paid and damages the team. It's sneaky and underhanded. If you think you can get the guy, go for it (although using offer sheets too often will be poorly received) but when you know you can't get him, everyone sees that you're just trying to sabotage a team.

#17 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:20 AM

don't people know you can't say anything bad about this league because there is nothing wrong with this league

#18 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

What happened to the First Amendment.... :picard: ?

The First Amendment means that the government is not allowed to restrict your speech. It doesn't mean that other organizations can't punish you for saying things. They can!

#19 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

These comments were disgusting and pathetic, and it's sad to see some fans agreeing with them.

Although, it is nice to see someone on management side admit that this lockout is simply about union-busting. It has nothing to do with "fixing" the league's business model. It's politically motivated, pure and simple.

#20 crazyforhockey

crazyforhockey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

These comments were disgusting and pathetic, and it's sad to see some fans agreeing with them.

Although, it is nice to see someone on management side admit that this lockout is simply about union-busting.  It has nothing to do with "fixing" the league's business model.  It's politically motivated, pure and simple.

http://www.theglobea...le4537827/maybe one of the hidden agendas of some owners....actually thinking of Snider made me think of a guy who has noo problems preaching finacial fiscal policy...and turning around offering huge offer sheets (and backstabbing a fellow owner)made me think too....Phi couldnt get their dman this offseason....solid team except defensivly......if the wait a year ...then he will have more big name dmen to target...edler,Whitney,Vishnosky,Gonchar,regher,murray

#21 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

Yep, that is how NHL works. Its a topsy turvey league all on its own.

Posted Image

#22 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

Good, Devellano is a tool.

The honest people are tools? I guess being a liar or a backstabber is better.

Posted Image

#23 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,012 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

That might be the NHLs only income for a year... no wonder it was such a hefty fee :P

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#24 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:14 PM

Its all about image. If every GM started tarnishing the owners and starting verbal fights, it would turn a lot of people off of the NHL, and that's a job the owners want for themselves ;)

#25 MisterShipwreck

MisterShipwreck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

250k is a lot of damn money. That's a high fine!

Posted Image

Sig by RK17

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.