48 replies to this topic

#1 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

Damn I just started a new gig, nothing fancy, a warehouse position..

2nd week in and I caught the flu, So I had to take Thurs and now Fri off to rest.

I have the doc's note and confirmation of my illness, however I still felt uncomfortable calling in 2 days sick on my 2nd week...

What do you guys think? Will I get canned?

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#2 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

North America is so sad when it comes to sick days.

Why feels guilty?
Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#3 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,359 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:08 AM

You have a doctors note and take it from me as I have been in this situation (employees calling in sick with a note) whatever you have, I don't want it, nor do I want it spread amongst the crew. Sleep, get better and don't forget your note on monday.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#4 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

Why feels guilty?

I feel guilty cause its only my 2nd week

You have a doctors note and take it from me as I have been in this situation (employees calling in sick with a note) whatever you have, I don't want it, nor do I want it spread amongst the crew. Sleep, get better and don't forget your note on monday.

Thanks, I was thinking the same about not wanting to spread the flu to my co workers

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#5 Mr.Mulletandbars

Mr.Mulletandbars

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:12 AM

I would probably fire you

#6 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

I feel guilty cause its only my 2nd week

Thanks, I was thinking the same about not wanting to spread the flu to my co workers

And youre sick. Who gives a frack?

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#7 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

And youre sick. Who gives a frack?

Thats true I am, maybe Im overthinking

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#8 Hobbes!!!

Hobbes!!!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,986 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

If you have a decent boss, they will understand that illnesses happen and it was smart of you to not come in anyway and make everyone sick.
Plus, you have a note. No worries.

#9 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

Thats true I am, maybe Im overthinking

Of course you are youre north american. Where people happily take there "2 weeks a year" holiday every 5 years and call in sick one day every 5 years.

Logic at its finest.

#10 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,359 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

If you have a decent boss, they will understand that illnesses happen and it was smart of you to not come in anyway and make everyone sick.
Plus, you have a note. No worries.

And if they do can you over this, you don't want to work for such tyrants anyways :lol:

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#11 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

As many have said, you should be good with the note. I think it only becomes a problem if it starts happening a lot.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#12 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

I'm lucky when it comes to this. When calling in sick there is a set of guidlines. You have 8 sick occurrences every 6 months. An occurrence is 1 day but with a doctors note it can be up to 7 days. Once an occurrence is 6 months old, it drops off your record.
Plus when calling in sick, we call a sick line that is outsourced to the Philipines and they aren't allowed to ask what the sickness is. Violation of privacy or something.

Example:

I'm sick... 1 day off... no note = 1 occurrence
I'm sick... 3 days off... no note = 3 occurrences
I'm sick... 3 days off... doctor's note = 1 occurence

Family days are completely seperate
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#13 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

Damn I just started a new gig, nothing fancy, a warehouse position..

2nd week in and I caught the flu, So I had to take Thurs and now Fri off to rest.

I have the doc's note and confirmation of my illness, however I still felt uncomfortable calling in 2 days sick on my 2nd week...

What do you guys think? Will I get canned?

Go to work, make everyone else sick....take as much time as you need after they all get sick and have to take time off.

It's one suggestion....perhaps for next time. This time, you're probably ok with a doctor's note and a quick word with your manager or boss telling them you have a doctor's note just in case they need it. Chances are they won't if you're ready with it and chances are they won't make a big deal of it since you have supporting documentary evidence of being sick and came to them with the offer of handing it over.

Be cool about it and i'm sure your boss will be too.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#14 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,194 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

#15 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,293 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

I'm lucky when it comes to this. When calling in sick there is a set of guidlines. You have 8 sick occurrences every 6 months. An occurrence is 1 day but with a doctors note it can be up to 7 days. Once an occurrence is 6 months old, it drops off your record.
Plus when calling in sick, we call a sick line that is outsourced to the Philipines and they aren't allowed to ask what the sickness is. Violation of privacy or something.

Example:

I'm sick... 1 day off... no note = 1 occurrence
I'm sick... 3 days off... no note = 3 occurrences
I'm sick... 3 days off... doctor's note = 1 occurence

Family days are completely seperate

Sounds like some snowboarding sick days would be taken.
Posted Image

#16 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,292 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

I personally hate the whole Dr. note thing. Who the frack needs to go to the doctor every time they get a cold/flu? What are they going to tell you that you haven't heard before? Drink lots of fluids, get rest, acetaminophen...yadda, yadda. I mean sure if you're VERY sick and or for longer than a few days without improvement, sure.

And we wonder why our medical system is fracked/Dr.'s are booked up the wazoo/you can't get in to clinics.

Edited by J.R., 28 September 2012 - 10:01 AM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#17 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

Sounds like some snowboarding sick days would be taken.

Lots of people get sick on Friday. It's weird. Must be something going around.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#18 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

I got fired from my job in Calgary for calling in sick, I had worked there for 5 months (well past the 90 day probationary period) and called in sick one Tuesday (TUESDAY!) and didn't go back in until Friday. I was legitimately sick. Doctors note, pictures, everything! I also went back on a FRIDAY. Of all days...anyway, soon as I walk in the door my crazy boss called me into her office and gave me the boot.

I doubt you'll suffer the same fate, but bosses can be unpredictable. Good luck!

/=S=/

#19 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,292 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

I got fired from my job in Calgary for calling in sick, I had worked there for 5 months (well past the 90 day probationary period) and called in sick one Tuesday (TUESDAY!) and didn't go back in until Friday. I was legitimately sick. Doctors note, pictures, everything! I also went back on a FRIDAY. Of all days...anyway, soon as I walk in the door my crazy boss called me into her office and gave me the boot.

I doubt you'll suffer the same fate, but bosses can be unpredictable. Good luck!

Posted Image

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#20 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

When I worked at Safeway they made me bring in doctors notes even for missing like one day and gave me lectures about calling in sick and accused me of faking because I tried to give my shift away to someone so they weren't stuck without anyone to cover my shift. I called in sick like 2 times in a year at frickin Safeway!

So next time I got sick I just quit so I didn't have to deal with them and they kept calling me to come back to work for them cuz I was one of the better employees. ;)

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#21 ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

Posted Image

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#22 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,265 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

Grab a doctors slip...
Give it to a 3 year old
Let them scribble
= Success!
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#23 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

You'll be fine! think positive,

and nothing will be able to stop you.
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#24 Lillooet_Hillbilly

Lillooet_Hillbilly

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

i once called in sick because i had sunburnt my feet & couldn't put my work boots on. The boss man laughed because i never take time off

#25 Ovech Trick

Ovech Trick

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

Posted Image

Doctor Zhivago is one of my favorite books. :D
Posted Image

Capitalist Hockey League - Minnesota Wild GM

#26 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Stay home. Give them the note when you're better. I've always been told to stay home when sick whether it be work or school. If he still cans you, he's a dick. Make sure to tell him that to his face.
Posted Image

#27 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,730 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

It's not like you plan illness....it happens. The only reason to feel guilty is if you make it a habit to miss work. But, for legitimate illness - no.

I was on the last Friday of vacation once when my Mom collapsed at work and was rushed to ER (brain aneurysm). They had to operate on the weekend and the surgeon was straight with us - telling us she had to have the surgery for any chance of survival, but it was 50/50 she'd make it. She did, but suffered a stroke during the operation.

I called in Monday morning after spending the entire weekend, sleepless, at St. Pauls Hospital. My boss' response? "Great, you've just finished 2 weeks of holidays and I need you back here". What a tool...thanks for caring, boss.

Posted Image

#28 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

Think of it this way, if they really do hold it against you for having the flu and discipline you in some way, is it really a place you would want to be working at?
Posted Image

#29 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

Think of it this way, if they really do hold it against you for having the flu and discipline you in some way, is it really a place you would want to be working at?

Exactly, especially at a warehouse. There are hundreds of those positions.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#30 BurnabyJoe

BurnabyJoe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

Why feels guilty?

You're Greek?
http://i8.photobucke...e/canucks40.jpg <- Jim Robson's 40th Anniversary Team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.