#811 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

Hello,

I would just like to say that I have been following the Canucks for a long, long time and I have never seen better goaltending than what Luongo has delivered over the years as a Canucks. I believe he is the least of the problems on this team as many other aspects of the game have not been covered by the general manager including getting a leading number one defenseman, a pure top scoring right winger to play with the Sedins, as well as complementary players with a will to win it all despite all odds; the type that don't get rattled in the playoffs and keep it even keel when faced with adversity.

On the other hand, the great talented players who toil for the Cancuks would be better served playing an honest game instead of playing referee; no referee in the World will take such behavior from the game's players. This, to me, is the fundamental problem with the team which in the end, gets deflated all throughout from the top line down to the goaltender as they, and subsequently the fans, feel they have been given an unfair biased rendering of the game played.

I personally do not feel comfortable keeping Schneider while trading Luongo. Oftentimes a rising young goalie has dethroned a veteran goaltender whereby the vet was traded and the team subsequently fell apart the following years; Minnesota is a good example of this with Fernandez and Backstrom. Keeping both goaltenders would be ideal but if not, then Schneider should be the one traded for a player Vancouver desperately needs; a number one defenseman.

I do not believe in this defense by committee structure. Most Cup winning teams, including recent winners L.A., Boston and Chicago had a 1D leading from the backend; someone who is able to instill fear in the opponent, if not only for the fact that he could give out an outlet pass at any time, or clear the crease efficiently, playing almost half the game if not more. Getting a 1D is the ideal deal for the Canucks.

Schneider is the most coveted goaltender in the league at this point. Letting it be known that he is available could create an amazing lineup of teams willing to pay the high price the Canucks deserve for such a talent. His salary is perfect for any team to take on without having to grossly equate salary coming back. He is young and does not have an NTC to his contract, thereby drastically increasing the amount of potental targeted teams.

Florida has Brian Campbell, ranked 3rd behind Chara (1st) and Shea Weber (2nd). Florida will not pay a high price for Luongo but would certainly increase their offer if Schneider were to be made available. The Canucks might even be able to pry Bjugstad along with Campbell from them in a Schneider package wereas in a Luongo package, Gillis is looking to add uneeded pieces on an almost complete puzzle.

In Toronto, whether one likes Phaneuf or not since his days as a Flames, he is ranked 5th amongst defensemen. He brings the complete package and might be extremely motivated to be on a President's Trophy team. Burke also wants Schneider and not so much Luongo. Phaneuf comes at a hefty price capwise but he hits like a train and anchors the defense like few have done in this league. This could be a one for one deal, though Gillis might be able to pry even more than just Phaneuf out of Toronto.

These are just two examples of how much a Schneider trade opens up opportunity for a Stanley Cup win due to the acquisition of the 1D; Chara is a Bruin and will not be moved, though one never knows, and Shea Weber's offer sheet was matched so he cannot be moved for one full year.

A Luongo-led Canucks team with Campbell or Phaneuf, whether one likes it or not, is a much better team then the current Canucks defense by committee.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 06 November 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#812 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

why not attempt a 1-1 deal - Yakupov (next Bure) for Luongo? Give us a lot more offensive options and youth...

Think logically for a minute. Your proposal is beyond ludicrous and it's frankly nonsensical.
1st - Luongo is not going anywhere near Edmonton considering his wife wants him to play in Florida. Edmonton sucks and is nowhere near contending status.

2nd - 1st overall pick for Luongo is absolutely absurd. Remember Luongo's contract? Tambellini thumbs his nose at the thought of trading 1st overall pick for a goalie who only has 2-4 yrs of prime years left though on a 10 yr contract.

3rd - Divisional rivals do not make trades with one another. They play each other like 10 times throughout the season

Need I go further?

#813 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Not when he specifically calls out both Dubnyk and Khabi in his statement. If he called out just Khabi, I could see it, but he's basically said he doesn't know if Dubnyk's ready for the job yet. Luongo is a starter on many teams no matter how often you dispute it, and he would help the Oilers for sure.

I've said often and regularly I don't think he goes to Edmonton. I just don't see a deal of that size happening between division rivals.

I'd also hesitate to say a deal is done in principle since I think there might be a few more details to work out depending on what's in the next CBA. The CBA might even prompt one side to take and offer off the table for Luongo, but it depends on who it is and what was offered.

One thing I do know, there's no point continuing a debate on this with you considering your other replies that are plainly juvenile Well, that and when you lead off your posts saying people are wrong to assume someone who runs and NHL team is smarter than a poster on an internet forum named 'smurf47' you instead tend to lead people to believe they were right to do so.

I could be a GM or an ex NHL goalie....assume what you like rookie

#814 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

What number 1 d man can we get for Schneider?

And don't say Gardiner bc as much as leafs nation thinks he is Jessie Christ, he ain't no number 1 d man

Edited by eretz canucks, 06 November 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#815 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,224 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Hello,

A Luongo-led Canucks team with Campbell or Phaneuf, whether one likes it or not, is a much better team then the current Canucks defense by committee.

After reading your post I have to say it's an interesting idea, not bad either but Luongo wants to go too, and it seems like that's what is better for both sides.

zackass.png

#816 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,828 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

What number 1 d man can we get for Schneider?

And don't say Gardiner bc as much as leafs nation thinks he is Jessie Christ, he ain't no number 1 d man

Hmmm, if you look at teams that need goalies and have a #1 D man (Colorado = Johnson) (Chicago = Keith/Seabrook) (Toronto = Phaneuf) we could probably work a deal out, unless MG gets his socks blown off by an offer for Schneider, I could see a Luongo package landing Phaneuf or Seabrook.
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#817 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,730 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

Ugg, if we get Phaneuf I'll become a Leafs fan, or figure skating, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhg.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#818 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,224 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

I would love to get Phaneuf, but they won't give him up, unless we overpay severely.

Here's a quick idea.

To Tor: Luongo
To Van: Bozak, Biggs, 1st (or 2nd if that is too much)

Star goalie for 3rd line center, good prospect, & 1st/2nd in deep draft.

zackass.png

#819 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

Lp

#820 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

Hello,

I would just like to say that I have been following the Canucks for a long, long time and I have never seen better goaltending than what Luongo has delivered over the years as a Canucks. I believe he is the least of the problems on this team as many other aspects of the game have not been covered by the general manager including getting a leading number one defenseman, a pure top scoring right winger to play with the Sedins, as well as complementary players with a will to win it all despite all odds; the type that don't get rattled in the playoffs and keep it even keel when faced with adversity.

On the other hand, the great talented players who toil for the Cancuks would be better served playing an honest game instead of playing referee; no referee in the World will take such behavior from the game's players. This, to me, is the fundamental problem with the team which in the end, gets deflated all throughout from the top line down to the goaltender as they, and subsequently the fans, feel they have been given an unfair biased rendering of the game played.

I personally do not feel comfortable keeping Schneider while trading Luongo. Oftentimes a rising young goalie has dethroned a veteran goaltender whereby the vet was traded and the team subsequently fell apart the following years; Minnesota is a good example of this with Fernandez and Backstrom. Keeping both goaltenders would be ideal but if not, then Schneider should be the one traded for a player Vancouver desperately needs; a number one defenseman.

I do not believe in this defense by committee structure. Most Cup winning teams, including recent winners L.A., Boston and Chicago had a 1D leading from the backend; someone who is able to instill fear in the opponent, if not only for the fact that he could give out an outlet pass at any time, or clear the crease efficiently, playing almost half the game if not more. Getting a 1D is the ideal deal for the Canucks.

Schneider is the most coveted goaltender in the league at this point. Letting it be known that he is available could create an amazing lineup of teams willing to pay the high price the Canucks deserve for such a talent. His salary is perfect for any team to take on without having to grossly equate salary coming back. He is young and does not have an NTC to his contract, thereby drastically increasing the amount of potental targeted teams.

Florida has Brian Campbell, ranked 3rd behind Chara (1st) and Shea Weber (2nd). Florida will not pay a high price for Luongo but would certainly increase their offer if Schneider were to be made available. The Canucks might even be able to pry Bjugstad along with Campbell from them in a Schneider package wereas in a Luongo package, Gillis is looking to add uneeded pieces on an almost complete puzzle.

In Toronto, whether one likes Phaneuf or not since his days as a Flames, he is ranked 5th amongst defensemen. He brings the complete package and might be extremely motivated to be on a President's Trophy team. Burke also wants Schneider and not so much Luongo. Phaneuf comes at a hefty price capwise but he hits like a train and anchors the defense like few have done in this league. This could be a one for one deal, though Gillis might be able to pry even more than just Phaneuf out of Toronto.

These are just two examples of how much a Schneider trade opens up opportunity for a Stanley Cup win due to the acquisition of the 1D; Chara is a Bruin and will not be moved, though one never knows, and Shea Weber's offer sheet was matched so he cannot be moved for one full year.

The bolded section of your post looks very much like your man between the pipes.
Aside from his age, albatross contract, and Schneider's ascension to #1 status in Vancouver, why do you think Gillis wants to move Luongo and not Schneider?

Edited by Riviera82, 07 November 2012 - 03:51 AM.

#821 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:30 AM

Hello,

Great post, like it a lot.

Problem is that it's too late. The decision has already been made to run with Schneider.

#822 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:32 AM

Here's a quick idea.

To Tor: Luongo
To Van: Bozak, Biggs, 1st (or 2nd if that is too much)

You're still dreaming. Prepare yourself for disappointment.

#823 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,828 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

You say Purcell, Aulie and a 1st or Bozak, Biggs and a 1st or 2nd is unrealistic or 'too much' for Luongo, which is absurd. Then you come and propose not only Luongo but Ballard as well for Magnus freakin Paajarvi. Awesome way to contradict yourself.
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#824 sampy

sampy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

I could be a GM or an ex NHL goalie....assume what you like rookie

Or a 12 year who plays atom hockey...
Judging by you consistant Lu bashing and support of Dubnyk, I am thinking it's time to go to school.
Schneider is the better goalie but to bash Lu like he's accomplished nothing is rediculous.

#825 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

You say Purcell, Aulie and a 1st or Bozak, Biggs and a 1st or 2nd is unrealistic or 'too much' for Luongo, which is absurd. Then you come and propose not only Luongo but Ballard as well for Magnus freakin Paajarvi. Awesome way to contradict yourself.

That's the beauty of these. They're all guesses.

You're expecting a 65-point getter, a good D prospect, and a 1st round pick, or an 18-goal scoring 3rd line C, and two effective 1st rounders, I'm expecting far, far less. Just have to see what Gillis gets, I guess. ::D

#826 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

That's the beauty of these. They're all guesses.

You're expecting a 65-point getter, a good D prospect, and a 1st round pick, or an 18-goal scoring 3rd line C, and two effective 1st rounders, I'm expecting far, far less. Just have to see what Gillis gets, I guess. ::D

I agree. You were right that my other proposals were off.

Lindback was traded for approximately two 2nd rounders. While he hasn't played as many games as Schneider and his numbers aren't as good, he is younger and some would say he has more upside than Schneider. If two 2nd rounders is what Lindback was worth, Schneider can't be worth a lot more.

Which brings in Luongo. Luongo who lost his job to a less proven goalie because he couldn't win the games when the Canucks needed them most, who's on a huge long term contract should get quite a bit less than what Nashville got for Lindback or what Halak got for Montreal

#827 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,484 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

I'm not against a Lu-for-Phaneuf trade. I don't like Phaneuf too much personally, but he's a very good hockey player (just not as good as he thinks he is). I think the league-wide value for both players is quite similar.

That is taking in an extra 1.2 of cap, and leaving a log-jam on our blueline. I think I'd want to include Ballard in the deal, simply to balance the dollars, and then another component coming our way.

Not sure who though...Bozak maybe? That still leaves Toronto with an extra 1.5 though.

Edited by D-Money, 07 November 2012 - 10:07 AM.

Posted Image

#828 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,224 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

A third line calibre center who's career high is 47 points, a good prospect with about 2nd line upside, and a 2nd rounder. (since u think a 1st is too much).

You could have atleast explained why you think it is so unreasonable.

I'm not dreaming at all, that's actually reasonable.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 07 November 2012 - 10:59 AM.

zackass.png

#829 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,484 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

Lindback was traded for approximately two 2nd rounders. While he hasn't played as many games as Schneider and his numbers aren't as good, he is younger and some would say he has more upside than Schneider. If two 2nd rounders is what Lindback was worth, Schneider can't be worth a lot more.

Which brings in Luongo. Luongo who lost his job to a less proven goalie because he couldn't win the games when the Canucks needed them most, who's on a huge long term contract should get quite a bit less than what Nashville got for Lindback or what Halak got for Montreal

2011-12
Lindback - 16GP, 5-8-2, .912 Save% (35th in league, min 10 GP), 2.42 GAA (23rd)
Schneider - 33GP, 20-8-1, 937 Save % (2nd), 1.96 GAA (3rd)

Over the last year, Schneider put up numbers that put him firmly among the elite goalies in the league. Lindback has a lot more to prove.

On top of this, Anders has Adult On-set Stills disease. He needs to take powerful painkillers in order to perform. His ability to have a full NHL career is very much in doubt, especially with a starter's workload. Despite all this, Tampa still thought his abilities were worth spending a couple of good picks on.

Schneider's value is light-years beyond Lindback. There isn't a goalie in the league with better numbers than him in the last two years combined, and he may be just getting started.
Posted Image

#830 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

I'm not against a Lu-for-Phaneuf trade. I don't like Phaneuf too much personally, but he's a very good hockey player (just not as good as he thinks he is). I think the league-wide value for both players is quite similar.

Think about this for a minute.

If Toronto would even consider this - very unlikely, IMO - don't you think that a deal would have already been done?

Edited by King of the ES, 07 November 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#831 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

2011-12
Lindback - 16GP, 5-8-2, .912 Save% (35th in league, min 10 GP), 2.42 GAA (23rd)
Schneider - 33GP, 20-8-1, 937 Save % (2nd), 1.96 GAA (3rd)

Over the last year, Schneider put up numbers that put him firmly among the elite goalies in the league. Lindback has a lot more to prove.

On top of this, Anders has Adult On-set Stills disease. He needs to take powerful painkillers in order to perform. His ability to have a full NHL career is very much in doubt, especially with a starter's workload. Despite all this, Tampa still thought his abilities were worth spending a couple of good picks on.

Schneider's value is light-years beyond Lindback. There isn't a goalie in the league with better numbers than him in the last two years combined, and he may be just getting started.

I didn't know that about Lindback's disease.

The thing with Schneider and Luongo for that matter is there stats are inflated by playing on a President's Trophy team. You put those goalie on the Oilers or the Islanders and their stats take a big dive.

#832 sampy

sampy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

The thing with Schneider and Luongo for that matter is their stats are inflated by playing on a President's Trophy team. You put those goalie on the Oilers or the Islanders and their stats take a big dive.

Yes and no. Sometimes goalies on poor teams tend to have decent save percentages from the amount of shots they face (see Lu in Florida, Garon, Dubnyk, Nabokov with NYI, etc).

#833 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,730 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

The thing with Schneider and Luongo for that matter is there stats are inflated by playing on a President's Trophy team. You put those goalie on the Oilers or the Islanders and their stats take a big dive.

Your Lindback being comparable to Schnieder comparison was way off IMO. Besides the numbers Schnieder was rarin to take the number one job only being held back by Roberto while Linkback while also being an excellent prospect was no where near that situation.

You can make a case for anything depending on how you look at it. I just find it funny that supposed Canucks fans are putting this in the absolute worst light possible.

Doesn't surprise me though, reminds me of an old psychological trick I used to play on myself in my early 20's. If you don't expect anything and look at the worst side of everything it's hard to be dissapointed.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#834 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Yes and no. Sometimes goalies on poor teams tend to have decent save percentages from the amount of shots they face (see Lu in Florida, Garon, Dubnyk, Nabokov with NYI, etc).

Conversely, many rookies also have inflated stats playing on top teams, which in my opinion, is Schneider's case. Put both Luongo and Schneider in Edmonton or Toronto and Luongo comes up on top every single time. We ought to be careful what we wish for. Luongo is proven; Schneider is unproven. See both resumes for factual proof.

#835 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,990 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

This post really explains how you come about some of the trade proposals you've listed in the past. Those evaluations are very poor.

Schneider may not be proven as a starter yet in the NHL, but he's been a starter in the AHL, played more in international WC situations, and played in more games in the NHL (and pressure games) as a backup than Lindback has. Lindback still has to prove himself at the pro level and while he has shown promise, he's hardly shown anything proven beyond that at the top levels.

A lot of people have replied to that already, but what no one has mentioned yet is you're saying Schneider was given the start against the Kings because Luongo couldn't win the first few games himself. Perhaps you're just looking at the stats, or perhaps you're just biased, but Luongo was not the issue in that series and many were saying he was one of if not our best player in the series to that point. To say Luongo is worth "quite a bit less" than Lindback is even more off than saying Schneider's not worth a lot more.

Edited by elvis15, 07 November 2012 - 11:44 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#836 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,845 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

To Toronto:
G Roberto Luongo
D Keith Ballard

To Vancouver:
D Dion Phaneuf
C Lombardi(cap dump)

Or

To TO:
G Roberto Luongo
D Chris Tanev

To Vancouver:
D Jake Gardiner
1st Round pick
2nd Round pick
Posted Image

#837 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,224 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

To Toronto:
G Roberto Luongo
D Keith Ballard

To Vancouver:
D Dion Phaneuf
C Lombardi(cap dump)

Or

To TO:
G Roberto Luongo
D Chris Tanev

To Vancouver:
D Jake Gardiner
1st Round pick
2nd Round pick

Niether of those get accepted.

zackass.png

#838 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

This post really explains how you come about some of the trade proposals you've listed in the past. Those evaluations are very poor.

Schneider may not be proven as a starter yet in the NHL, but he's been a starter in the AHL, played more in international WC situations, and played in more games in the NHL (and pressure games) as a backup than Lindback has. Lindback still has to prove himself at the pro level and while he has shown promise, he's hardly shown anything proven beyond that at the top levels.

A lot of people have replied to that already, but what no one has mentioned yet is you're saying Schneider was given the start against the Kings because Luongo couldn't win the first few games himself. Perhaps you're just looking at the stats, or perhaps you're just biased, but Luongo was not the issue in that series and many were saying he was one of if not our best player in the series to that point. To say Luongo is worth "quite a bit less" than Lindback is even more off than saying Schneider's not worth a lot more.

This is right; Luongo was not the issue, the Kings were. Vancouver won one game, St-Louis was swept, Phoenix won one game and New Jersey won two games. The Kings went on to win the Cup on a 16-4 run.

Blaming Luongo is seeing short term and short term does not equate savvy decision making.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 07 November 2012 - 12:42 PM.

#839 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

To Toronto:
G Roberto Luongo
D Keith Ballard

To Vancouver:
D Dion Phaneuf
C Lombardi(cap dump)

Or

To TO:
G Roberto Luongo
D Chris Tanev

To Vancouver:
D Jake Gardiner
1st Round pick
2nd Round pick

TOR
G Corey Schneider
D Chris Tanev
D Keith Ballard
1st

VAN
D Dion Phaneuf
C Lombardi(cap dump)
D Morgan Reilly

#840 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,484 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Conversely, many rookies also have inflated stats playing on top teams, which in my opinion, is Schneider's case. Put both Luongo and Schneider in Edmonton or Toronto and Luongo comes up on top every single time. We ought to be careful what we wish for. Luongo is proven; Schneider is unproven. See both resumes for factual proof.

Pure conjecture.

If you actually look at "both resumes", you may notice that the .937 save% and 1.96 GAA that Schneider just had are better numbers than Luongo has ever posted in a season - even his two Vezina-nominated ones. You can also see that the .960 save% and 1.31 GAA Schneider had in the playoffs were better than any of Lu's playoff numbers.

Schneider may have only played 3 games, but if you look back at the records, Luongo only had two 3-playoff-game stretches where he actually equalled-or-bettered Schneider's .960 save%. Games 2-4 against Dallas, and games 1-3 against St. Louis. These are often pointed to as proof as Luongo's superior ability - and Schneider just played as well, against a far superior opponent. It wasn't his fault his team couldn't score for him - he kept them in it. Unfortunately, Luongo hasn't given us that sort of consistent, game stealing goaltending since 2009.

Also, there's the simple comparison. Look at what Luongo did last season with the same team in front of him, and you'll find his numbers were fairly average - and downright pedestrian compared to Corey's.

At the end of the day, recent evidence strongly suggests that Luongo is no longer a top-5 goaltender in the NHL, and that Schneider is. That is why Lu is available, even though he still is top-10.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.