The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Sauve is loose change in that trade, and if he is in, then I would offer a 2nd, or take him out and give the 1st, but I would do that deal in a heartbeat. Nuge is absolutely sick. I think he will be the most important player on the Oilers within 2 years.

Yeah, in a HEARTBEAT.

Sedin Sedin Booth

Kassian Kesler Burrows

Jensen Nugent-Hopkins Kassian

Hansen Malholtra Lapierre

Dude, having watched a lot of Oilers games, I can tell you that Nuge would KILL on our 3rd line. Put him on the 2nd unit power play, and you would forget about Hodgson real quick.

You're looking far to close at the canvas to be able to look at the bigger picture.

Luongo isn't that much of an upgrade over Dubnyk on paper. Luongo's even strength save % was .929, Dubnyk's is .927%.

Luongo is more proven but Dubnyk is younger, cheaper and still has upside. The difference between Dubnyk and Luongo isn't worth the Oilers 2nd best defenceman.

And just because I said he was on the Oilers 1st pairing doesn't mean that I'm saying he's a #2 defenceman. The Oilers don't have a #1 or a #2. The Canucks don't have a #1 defenceman either.

Oilers don't NEED Luongo. They aren't going to gut themselves to get him.

This is the Oilers' depth chart for defence going into next season:

Smid-Petry

Whitney-N.Schultz

Sutton-J.Schultz

EXTRA:Peckham-Potter

Petry averaged the most minutes per game last season. He also played the second hardest competition last season as well. He also got the most points on defence. He is one of the Oilers best defencemen.

Sauve is loose change in that trade, and if he is in, then I would offer a 2nd, or take him out and give the 1st, but I would do that deal in a heartbeat. Nuge is absolutely sick. I think he will be the most important player on the Oilers within 2 years.

Yeah, in a HEARTBEAT.

Dude, having watched a lot of Oilers games, I can tell you that Nuge would KILL on our 3rd line. Put him on the 2nd unit power play, and you would forget about Hodgson real quick.

Dude, my smiley face was a representation of what Steve Tambellini's face would look like if Mike Gillis called him up and offered him that deal.

They would NEVER even consider for more than two seconds a trade that would send us RNH. Somebody else mentioned Yakupov, which was equally laughable. The obvious target, if we're dealing with Edmonton, is probably Paajarvi. A realistic deal might be something like Luongo + Ballard for Paajarvi. But you've gotta think that Gillis will be very, very reluctant in dealing with Edmonton. Give a team like that Roberto Luongo, and they might well win the division as early as next year - and then the next 5.

Whitney was recovering from ankle surgery last season. He was nowhere close to the level he was before.N. Schultz is a not overly physical defensive defenceman. He's a #4 or a #5 on a good team.J. Schultz is tearing it up in OKC but that's mostly on the PP. He will have sheltered minutes 5 on 5 next season.Smid was the Oilers go to defenceman paired with Petry.Sutton has to go for a 2nd surgery this off season. I out him on the depth chart put he will likely retire.Petry would be on the right side because he's a right hand shot defenceman.Look at NHL.com and behindthenet.ca and loook up the stats on Oilers defencemen. You will see Petry was one of Oilers best defencemen last season with Smid.Trading Petry FOR Luongo would make the Oilers slightly better in goal but much worse on defence.

Whatever happened to Omark? Looking at his stats on HockeyDB, I can't believe Edmonton would give up on this guy. They did the same thing with Paajarvi, up for an entire NHL season only to be sent down for a full AHL season next year... and we're supposed to admire these guys for developing their prospects?

Archived