#331 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

POPULAR

I find it disturbing how many people are bashing this girl, and saying hurtful things towards her, yet are over in the Amanda Todd thread talking how they should stop bullying.

Be the change you want to see people.
Posted Image

#332 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

You need to read a little more clearly and comprehend.

I can read and comprehend fine; you are attempting to mitigate the behavior of the cretins who have caused this girl grief. You need to get over yourself and get a life.

#333 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

That's rich; so you don't condone the abuse she is getting but she deserves it anyways because she was "stupid" to not recognise a random grafitti scrawled pillar that the likes of you and the rest of the "true Canuck fans" think is some sort of holy site. Your cyber sleuthing skills are to be admired; naturally you aren't going to leave her alone or anything. Leave the kid alone! You really are a piece of work. I sure hope you don't have kids.

Posted Image

Ooooh, personal attack full of erroneous assumptions, well done, Zippy! :lol:

Really, reading comprehension is your friend...you need to make that friend.

I can read and comprehend fine; you are attempting to mitigate the behavior of the cretins who have caused this girl grief. You need to get over yourself and get a life.

Quite obviously you don't or you wouldn't be making such ridiculous assumptions and attempting to put words in my mouth.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 12 October 2012 - 12:57 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#334 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,230 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

I find it disturbing how many people are bashing this girl, and saying hurtful things towards her, yet are over in the Amanda Todd thread talking how they should stop bullying.

Be the change you want to see people.

#335 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

Props to the Sun for posting several CURRENT shots of the "memorial" (as opposed to the yellow journalism of the mighty Globe and Mail which posted year old photos in a pathetic attempt to make something out of nothing). Props also for blacking out her name. Also thanks to whomever pointed out that this "memorial" is actually on Translink property and so has absolutely nothing to do with the Canucks or Rogers arena. This is no "headstone" that is for sure and even as a makeshift memorial it is woefully inadequate. A person unfamiliar with the Canucks would have a hard time differentiating this post from a thousand other grafitti covered places in Vancouver. Of course this won't be enough for BB or the rest of the "true Canuck fans" most of whom I'm betting aren't parents. If this girl was my daughter I would have called the police at once with regards to the death threats etc. Guess that makes me a "coward" to some here but that's too bad tough guys.

The police aren't investigating this, so nice try.

#336 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

So, you're saying you would look to see what was already written on the wall before writing your graffiti. :o

But seriously, I'm glad you avoided the rest of my point. Let me try once more with a multiple choice question.

What would you say is most likely (please rank in order from 1-3):
A. Rypien would not want us to vilify this girl for writing graffiti where she did.
B. Rypien would not care one way or the other.
C. Rypien would be ok with the responses she's getting.

You're argument against people using how Rypien might feel (or how it would represent his legacy) is that neither A nor B would be ranked #1.

I don't think you have any idea what I'm saying. I'm saying no one here knows what Rypien would have wanted (A, B, or C), so to rank those would be pointless. Nowhere did I say "Rypien would be ok with the responses".
Posted Image

#337 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

I don't think you have any idea what I'm saying. I'm saying no one here knows what Rypien would have wanted (A, B, or C), so to rank those would be pointless. Nowhere did I say "Rypien would be ok with the responses".

Oh, I get what you're saying, but to specifically argue against someone saying they think Rypien wouldn't like the reactions is a little presumptuous in itself. If you were to make an assumption, given the possibilities, isn't it more reasonable to think Rypien wouldn't want people sending her death threats? If you can agree to that, then why bother calling someone out for saying something - that in their opinion - they believe to be true?

Certainly the same type of statement about Rypien's legacy would a reasonable statement, and it'd also be reasonable to equate what Rypien himself would think to his legacy, so you'd making a point that's pointless considering the overall argument.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#338 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

Oh, I get what you're saying, but to specifically argue against someone saying they think Rypien wouldn't like the reactions is a little presumptuous in itself. If you were to make an assumption, given the possibilities, isn't it more reasonable to think Rypien wouldn't want people sending her death threats? If you can agree to that, then why bother calling someone out for saying something - that in their opinion - they believe to be true?

Certainly the same type of statement about Rypien's legacy would a reasonable statement, and it'd also be reasonable to equate what Rypien himself would think to his legacy, so you'd making a point that's pointless considering the overall argument.

Using your opinion is not really a strong argument. And they're stating that Ryp would dislike the comments as a fact, which can not be proven. No one knows what is the most reasonable assumption that could be made. Only Ryp knew what Ryp was thinking (and maybe Juice too).
Posted Image

#339 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

Using your opinion is not really a strong argument. And they're stating that Ryp would dislike the comments as a fact, which can not be proven. No one knows what is the most reasonable assumption that could be made. Only Ryp knew what Ryp was thinking (and maybe Juice too).

You should have re-read the first part of your post prior to typing the last part. You can't complain about someone saying how Rypien likely would have thought about this and then say with such certainty yourself that only Rypien, and possibly Bieksa, knew what he was thinking.

Clearly those weren't the only people with fairly close contact with him, although we don't know just how many he really confided in. Even still, I think it's just as reasonable to assume Rypien wouldn't have been happy to hear people were sending her death threats as it is that only Rypien (and yes, possibly Bieksa) would know what he felt on any particular subject.

You don't seem to be able to admit it's possible, even likely considering the facts we do have about him and how he treated other people (as a captain in junior, as someone sharing his difficulties with depression with Canucks management, etc.). Some of us as fans are more knowledgeable than you think.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#340 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

Most likely an honest mistake by a young person not knowing an area covered in "graffiti" was actually a public memorial to Ryp.

Get over it. All people do stupid things and honest mistakes at any age.

The aggressive and threatening reactions are disturbing and probably nothing more than cheap attempts at shock value.

Ahhhh the youth of today.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#341 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,773 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

I don't get it? Didn't I see a bunch of other writing on there?

Edit: After reading and seeing the other pics I realize it wasn't even official. Even if was official, who cares if some 16 year old girl drew a nice heart on it with her name? It's not like the other mesages are more important or serve a greater purpose. It's a year later, maybe she was having a good time and thought Ryp would want to know. In my opinion it was rather drab anyway and would have looked better.

Also, a lot of Canuck fans barely know any players. It's not conceivable that she had no clue what it was about or did not realize the severity of the issues and the sentiment invovled. Maybe she was just happy to be near his memorial while she was going to the concert.

All in all the response on the first 5 pages of this thread were downright scary and a testement to why I don't twitter. Besides the completely degenerate, psychopathical, ruthless garbage spewing waste of time witch hunt this is an opportunity for those who care enough to do something.

I challenge one of those that took offence to this to contact the Canucks (so easy these days) and set up a real memorial for Rick, that can be shared, enjoyed, and even celebrated by all of Vancouver. I would do it but I live in some other dumb city, although I'd be glad to help. It would be great if young Simran could be contacted to redraw her heart as the first sign

maybe a different begining would be nice though.

Edited by Dogbyte, 12 October 2012 - 06:27 PM.

There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#342 Rink on Renfrew

Rink on Renfrew

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

Okay, I've kept quiet about this and watched it spiral out of control.

Yes, she made a mistake and her actions were thoughtless.

This current generation of adolescence children/teens is quite the piece of work. First the girl who wrote on the pillar but even more the people threatening her. Now, I know I'm making assumptions on the people's age that were threatening her but, there is no doubt in my mind they were for the most part around her age range. The ones that weren't are clearly misguided.

This is the YouTube-social media generation where theatening over the Internet is brushed off as no big deal well, NEWSFLASH it is a big deal. There are consequences. It reminds me of the comment section on YouTube videos that turn into a Internet tuff guy pissing contest.

It's pathetic! Anyway you cut it. What a shame....for all the good the Internet brings with instant knowledge, instant communication, there's an equal part dark side. Use this technology for the right reasons....PLEASE!

/RANT

#343 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,023 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

Wow. I don't even feel bad for that rant I sent her. She deserves all the hate

I hope you weren't one of the few that told her to kill herself or was threatening her. Otherwise, what you did was worse than what she did.
Posted Image

#344 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

I bet 99% of you people getting bend out of shape about this weren't even at the actual memorial.

Last thing Rypien would want is some 15 year old kids sending death threats to this girl via Twitter.

Mindcheck.ca folks.

#345 CaptinCanuck

CaptinCanuck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

Listen what she did was absolutly wrong but after seeing what bullying has JUST done with amanda todd do people not realize how there constant threats can really affect someone constantly trashing her doesnt fix the problem. If it bothers u so bad go down town and clean it off and stop trashing a young girl its pathedic and you should be ashamed of yourselves

#346 surtur

surtur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

wow at the mentality of some of you people.
grow up get a life and leave the kid alone.

she probably cant even go back to school because of this. at least until it blows over or goes to a new school.
Release The KraKassian
Posted Image

#347 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

Amanda Todd

Rest In Peace

#348 believe in blue forever

believe in blue forever

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

POPULAR

Rick Rypien’s mom hurt by cyberbullying in his name: ‘Not what my son stood for’

The late NHL player and one-time Vancouver Canuck Rick Rypien wouldn’t stand for the cyberbullying that took place after Wednesday night’s Justin Bieber concert.

“The support that we’ve received and how good everybody has been to us and how much people love our son has meant the world to us, but I just don’t want it to get into anything like this,” Rypien’s mother, Shelley Crawford, said Friday from her Alberta home. “I just don’t like the idea of somebody being threatened and having my son’s name around that at all.”

Crawford fielded a number of phone calls from friends and family on Thursday letting her know about the outrage sparked on Twitter after Justin Bieber fan graffiti was found on a fan-made Rypien memorial pillar outside Rogers Arena.

One concert-goer attached her name to a fan message, which was tracked down on Twitter, resulting in a number of users directing abusive and aggressive comments at her like “die in a giant fire,” or, “Please hang yourself so I can destroy your grave.”

“I don’t want people making threats towards her — that’s not what my son stood for at all and that’s not what we stand for,” said Crawford. “We appreciate that everybody loves Ricky and how many people were obviously touched by my son, but at the same time Ricky was one of the most understanding people you’ve ever met.”

While Crawford admitted she wasn’t happy when she heard the memorial was defiled, she doesn’t think the young girl should have been delivered such a “harsh” lesson.
“My husband and I bare her no ill will and we don’t want anyone threatening her under my son’s name,” she
said.

Crawford believes the girl was young and “probably stuck in the moment.”
“I don’t believe she did it under any malice,” she said. “When you grow up, you make mistakes — maybe she doesn’t even know my son, Rick. There’s got to be some benefit of the doubt here.”

Rypien died by suicide in his Alberta home on Aug. 15 last year. He was 27.
Crawford and her husband can’t thank fans enough for their love and support over the past year, but she doesn’t want to see this young girl hurt for her mistake.

“I just know my son would not want anybody threatened for that. He just wouldn’t, and I don’t either,” she said. “That’s not what Ricky was about.”
lcahute@theprovince.com
twitter.com/larissacahute

© Copyright © The Province

Posted Image

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. George R.R. Martin
Luongo is blamed for a lot of things. I think he was blamed for the teachers strike, and the high gas prices in Vancouver. Alain Vigneault

#349 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

This is where marleau_12 says, "Maybe those people were right and Rypien would be against those people making death threats..."

More importantly, hopefully all those here and elsewhere wishing her ill will can recognize how stupid it is to do so.

Edited by elvis15, 12 October 2012 - 08:25 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#350 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

My friend says suicides dont R.I.P. they wander in Purgatory

My friend says not to pretend to speak for God (with self-righteous ideology) or pass judgement (ostensibly on God's behalf).

Edited by oldnews, 13 October 2012 - 12:08 PM.

#351 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

I don't know

the fact that she was pouring out all her love on the Ripper's head stone tells me she knows what she was doing

most likely a way bigger 'ripper' fan than any of us...

#352 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

If I lived down there I'd paint the whole thing over in grey and leave my phone number and e-mail.
Let people target an adult instead of a scared 16 year old girl. Then send my taped messages and e-mail to the cops to press charges.

#353 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

If I lived down there I'd paint the whole thing over in grey and leave my phone number and e-mail.
Let people target an adult instead of a scared 16 year old girl. Then send my taped messages and e-mail to the cops to press charges.

with a big "come at me bro!"

#354 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

I don't know

the fact that she was pouring out all her love on the Ripper's head stone tells me she knows what she was doing

On his headstone? I have some rather shocking news for you so please sit down.....

Rick Rypien isn't actually buried in a concrete Translink pillar.

R.I.P. RR

#355 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

I don't know

Head stone???????????

Posted Image

I think you mean "sky train column".
Posted Image

#356 GloveSaveLuongo

GloveSaveLuongo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

There's no signs on the pillar or near the pillar from my understanding that say 'Rick Rypien Memorial'. And yeah she could have read the pillar but if I looked at it for a brief moment I woulda thought it was grafetti also. Not really any reason to bully someone over a stupid mistake..
Go Canucks Go!

#357 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

Edit: I'm deleting my post as the girl who did this probably feels incredibly bad by now and adding insult to injury by saying how i feel is not necessary, the girl has been harassed enough. I'm sure it isn't what Rick would've wanted.

Edited by DirtyHarry, 17 October 2012 - 07:13 PM.

Posted Image

#358 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:31 AM

Close this thread.

#359 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

'Simran Mann' is now viewing this topic.
LOL

When I first saw that I was like: Awkward....

Shhh, she's here. Everyone quiet!

So your saying she has an account here? And she even came in here and read the comments and still didn't apologize? :picard:
Posted Image

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#360 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

So posting death threats about her are ok but a little innuendo gets my post deleted?

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.