• a 50/50 rev. split

• four year ELC

• maximum five year contracts

• UFA @ age 28/ or eight years in

• A full 82 game season, starting Nov. second

• The offer lasts six years

NHL makes 50-50 revenue split offer

Tuesday, 10.16.2012 / 1:38 PM NHL.com

TORONTO -- The NHL made a proposal for a new Collective Bargaining Agreement on Tuesday, one designed to allow an 82-game schedule for 2012-13 NHL season to take place.

"We very much want to preserve a full 82-game season and in that light we made a proposal, an offer really," Commissioner Gary Bettman said. "It is our best shot at preserving an 82-game regular season and [stanley Cup] Playoffs."

Commissioner Bettman announced the proposal after he and Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly held an hour-long meeting with the National Hockey League Players' Association Executive Director Don Fehr and Special Counsel Steve Fehr at the Union office.

Bettman said that the offer, which splits hockey-related revenue at 50-50, is contingent upon a full season being played and suggested that the season could begin Nov. 2. He also said the League is not asking for salary rollbacks from the players.

"We're focused on getting the season started on Nov. 2. That's what this offer was about."

"Gary indicated to me and I assume he indicated to you that they would like to get a full 82-game season in," Don Fehr said. "We, of course, share that view and would like to get a full 82-game season in. And, so, what our hope is that after we review this that there will be a feeling on the players' side that this is a proposal from which we can negotiate and try to reach a conclusion. But, we are not in a position to make any comments about it beyond that at this point."

I actually forgot what it feels like to be watching games every other day. Right now feels as if I never followed hockey! I would love for it to start so I can remember my real life. But if it don't I would feel like i lost nothing.

Who wants to bet the word "preserve" idea of the offer being contingent on a full season being played idea came from those focus groups? The NHL locked the players out but now want to brand themselves as the hero's who are trying to bring hockey back. Frankly in my opinion both sides are greedy and I'm pretty sick of it.

Offer consists of:

• a 50/50 rev. split (100% fair)

• 4 year ELC

• maximum 5 year contracts

• UFA @ age 28/ or 8 years in

• A full 82 game season, starting Nov. 2nd

The offer last 6 years (I think)

I say take this as the template, and make minor tweaks if necessary.

No questions asked, the NHLPA cannot turn it down. They'll instantly become the villains. The downsides in the offer - UFA pushed another year, 5 year contract caps - are a small, small price to pay. Ask any retired NHLer who went through the last lockout. There is absolutely no financial offer that will be made that can ever compensate for the year of lost wages. The lucky few who are making big bank to play overseas are offset by the overwhelming majority who just want to play some goddamn hockey already. It has to be signed. Has to. There's just no reasonable alternative. They're giving you what you want. If you turn it down, or try to re-negotiate it, you'll seem greedy. Take it, for the love of God.

I suspect this is what the league wanted all along. The players were at 57%, the league opend with 43%, the middle is 50/50. If all current contracts are grandfathered, which I suspect, then the players can only go back with tweeking.

it depends on whether the definition of HRR changes or remains the same as the last contract. if it became more restrictive then a 50/50 split would no longer be a 50/50 split, (which, under the current HRR definition, it wouldn't be 50/50 anyway.)

At this point they should take a fair deal, just so they can get some hockey going, and you can't get more fair than 50-50...

I just wish they could have offered this deal 2-3 months ago, so there would be hockey today. They just wasted so much time and money because they are just plain stupid...

Which brings me to my next question: Why are people stupid? I mean, it's so easy to not be stupid...

Archived