307mg00.jpg

#62 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

That video of the facade being blown off is crazy.

#63 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

What a bitch this Sandy is..

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#64 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,260 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

"A bit of flooding"??? Are you even watching the live coverage???

These kinds of floods happen all the time all over the world. The only difference is that it's happening in one of the world' biggest cities. That's why so many people are glued to it.

The water will recede tomorrow and everyone will be fine.

Edited by DeNiro, 29 October 2012 - 08:10 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#65 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 74,991 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

What a bitch this Sandy is..

@Rosenberg_Mike
Flights canceled. Trains canceled. School canceled. I guess Sandy's last name is Bettman.

:o

307mg00.jpg

#66 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

Some sage advice from Mitt Romney on how to weather the storm...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

At around 6:20 P.M. EST, however, the Twitter account was suspended. Followers have begun tweeting their outrage.
Try http://www.facebook....omneysStormTips for more.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#67 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

These kinds of floods happen all the time all over the world. The only difference is that it's happening in one of the world' biggest cities. That's why so many people are glued to it.

The water will recede tomorrow and everyone will be fine.

It's already starting to. They are going to have one heck of a mess to clean up. And with all of the transformers blowing up, who knows when the power will be restored.

Edited by Squirrels.Gone.Wild, 29 October 2012 - 08:22 PM.

#68 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 74,991 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Posted Image

Wow.

307mg00.jpg

#69 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,039 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

@khinman: New York State officials tell ABC News there are 5 confirmed deaths in NY state, including three children in Westchester County

@andersoncooper NYU Medical Center power went out and backup generator failed. My thoughts are with all those working right now to save lives

@kathrynschulz: NYU hospital generator failed. Personnel manually evacuating PICU & NICU down 9 flights of stairs.

@DJDThis sums up our country: NYU Hospital has no power and must evacuate patients but banking giant Credit Suisse has lights on in every office

Thoughts and prayers with everyone caught in this mess
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#70 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,260 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

Wow, I'm surprised the hospital doesn't have two backup generators.

I hope they can get everyone out safe.

Posted Image

#71 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

Thoughts and prayers with everyone caught in this mess

This is no time to be political, but this is EXACTLY why every country needs a federal government that spends more on infrastructure issues than on "defense" from imaginary enemies who may have slighted you by calling you "regressive" or "stupid" ..

My heart goes out to all in crisis, especially those first responders who make our society keep functioning ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#72 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

Nope. Colder waters and less time to grow means it won't be that bad.

They might have a bit of flooding, but it's not going to be anything like they're hyping it up to be.

My friend from New Orleans himself said he's never seen a storm this big, and its hitting one of the most populated areas in the world.

Somehow, I don't think you know as much as you think you know on this whole situation.

dontforgettolentil.png

#73 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,260 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

My friend from New Orleans himself said he's never seen a storm this big, and its hitting one of the most populated areas in the world.

Somehow, I don't think you know as much as you think you know on this whole situation.

I never said it wasn't big. It's huge. Probably one of the biggest ever.

But size doesn't equal strength. It's a tropical storm right now, that just happens to be covering a huge area.

The damage won't be done from the winds, it will be done from the flooding. But I still wouldn't buy into the CNN hype machine that's trying to turn this into the storm of the century.

Posted Image

#74 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

But size doesn't equal strength. It's a tropical storm right now, that just happens to be covering a huge area.

The damage won't be done from the winds, it will be done from the flooding. But I still wouldn't buy into the CNN hype machine that's trying to turn this into the storm of the century.

I don't buy your downplay. No damage from winds? Already 11 deaths and majority from tree fall.

Edited by Special Ed, 29 October 2012 - 09:28 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#75 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

World Trade Center construction area being flooded

Posted Image

A lot of debate online if this is real. It has been reported by a couple news agencies.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 29 October 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#76 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,597 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

in New York its a hurricane, in Vancouver just a typical fall storm, we dont flood here cause its not flat
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#77 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,260 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

I don't buy your downplay. No damage from winds? Already 11 deaths and majority from tree fall.

The storm is spanning out over a population of 60,000,000 people, and your talking about 11?

That many deaths occur in a snow storm on the Eastern seaboard.

Posted Image

#78 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

"God" is sending a message .. elect Romney!! .. HE will dismantle FEMA .. great thinking, Mitt ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#79 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

The storm is spanning out over a population of 60,000,000 people, and your talking about 11?

It's just the beggining. And I was responding to where you said 'no wind damage'. Sorry but most of your posts I see are wrong. No offence.

'Sandy has claimed its first casualty in Canada. A woman was killed when she was struck by flying debris in Toronto, the city police said on its Twitter feed Monday night.

The city is also experiencing wind gusts , wet roads and heavy rain. About 6,000 customers are without power, police said.'

More 'wind damage' to come. Along with everything else.

Edited by Special Ed, 29 October 2012 - 09:37 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

#80 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

I hadn't seen this posted, but to be fair only did a quick scan of the thread...

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-hurricane.html

A woman has been killed in Toronto's west end after being struck by flying debris, police have confirmed, amid wild weather lashing the city that is expected to intesify in the coming hours.
The woman was struck by a portion of a sign near Keele Street and St. Clair Avenue West around 7:20 p.m. when the piece broke loose in the wind, police said. The victim, who was pronounced dead at the scene, has not yet been identified, but paramedics told CBC News she appeared to be in her 50s and had suffered a severe head injury.

#81 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,535 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

that number of deaths occur in a heat wave in chicago every year. tbh i'm surprised its so low given how bad cnn stated it was.

#82 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,260 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

It's just the beggining. And I was responding to where you said 'no wind damage'. Sorry but most of your posts I see are wrong. No offence.

'Sandy has claimed its first casualty in Canada. A woman was killed when she was struck by flying debris in Toronto, the city police said on its Twitter feed Monday night.

The city is also experiencing wind gusts , wet roads and heavy rain. About 6,000 customers are without power, police said.'

More 'wind damage' to come. Along with everything else.

Again, when you're talking about 20% of the population, I would consider tree's falling and signs hitting people as minor damage. Thoughts go out to the families, but my point is it could be alot worse.

Power outages does not equal damage. Alot of that is done for safety precautions.

The only really damage I've seen is some cars, that crane that collapsed, and a front part of a building that fell down. All of those things I would consider minor based on the destructive power that hurricanes can have.

Edited by DeNiro, 29 October 2012 - 09:45 PM.

Posted Image

#83 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

Again, when you're talking about 20% of the population, I would consider tree's falling and signs hitting people as minor damage. Thoughts go out to the families, but my point is it could be alot worse.

Power outages does not equal damage. Alot of that is done for safety precautions.

The only really damage I've seen is some cars, that crane that collapsed, and a front part of a building that fell down.

Again you missed my point. You said no wind damage and there was. The end.

#84 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,039 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

World Trade Center construction area being flooded

Posted Image

A lot of debate online if this is real. It has been reported by a couple news agencies.

Yeah I'm not sure on this one. Looks like it's been tweaked at least a little bit IMO
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#85 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

Size matters. That's precisely why there's hype over this. There are hurricanes with stronger winds but they damage less areas, and for a shorter time. And the conditions are vastly different to the storm happening now.

The numbers for Hurricane Sandy are over 50 million people affected if I'm correct, and it's not going to die out as it gets colder and goes onto land. It's going to intensify as it keeps heading upwards, and will cause extensive damage to inland and northern areas not used to this.

High winds, lots of rain inland, coastal flooding, massive amounts of snow in certain areas; all over a massive area and a LOT of people for a longer period of time. Why would people in Florida be shaking their heads at this? They don't see anything like this either.

You're sucked in by the terminology; hurricane is just a name, this storm is an incredible freak occurrence, and is likely to cause upwards of $55 billion of damage. $55 billion. The only storm worse than that? Katrina. We're lucky that people are building this storm up, because the extra fear and precautions means that a more precious commodity can be protected: human lives. Death toll has been very low considering the nature of the storm, and I'd say preparations have played a huge part in that.

I'm not saying anything about storm of the century, but this isn't something to be brushed off because of Sandy's classification as 'just' a tropical storm. More damage will be caused by this hybrid storm than all others in U.S. history but Katrina (or was Katrina just CNN hype?), and what's really scary is that all this might be is a sign of things to come. These conditions are being attributed to climate change after all.

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 29 October 2012 - 09:52 PM.

dontforgettolentil.png

#86 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

I hadn't seen this posted, but to be fair only did a quick scan of the thread...

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-hurricane.html

Woman killed in storm by debris OR Staples murders woman with sign?

#87 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

Yeah I'm not sure on this one. Looks like it's been tweaked at least a little bit IMO

http://weather.aol.c...-into-darkness/

take it for what it's worth

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 29 October 2012 - 10:09 PM.

#88 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

Okay guys, let's not turn this into a pissing contest.

#89 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,260 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

Size matters. That's precisely why there's hype over this. There are hurricanes with stronger winds but they damage less areas, and for a shorter time. And the conditions are vastly different to the storm happening now.

The numbers for Hurricane Sandy are over 50 million people affected if I'm correct, and it's not going to die out as it gets colder and goes onto land. It's going to intensify as it keeps heading upwards, and will cause extensive damage to inland and northern areas not used to this.

High winds, lots of rain inland, coastal flooding, massive amounts of snow in certain areas; all over a massive area and a LOT of people for a longer period of time. Why would people in Florida be shaking their heads at this? They don't see anything like this either.

You're sucked in by the terminology; hurricane is just a name, this storm is an incredible freak occurrence, and is likely to cause upwards of $55 billion of damage. $55 billionThe only storm worse than that? Katrina. We're lucky that people are building this storm up, because the extra precautions means that a more precious commodity can be protected: human lives.

I'm not saying anything about storm of the century, but this isn't something to be brushed off because of Sandy's classification as 'just' a tropical storm. More damage will be caused by this hybrid storm than all others in U.S. history but Katrina (or was Katrina just CNN hype?), and what's really scary is that all this might be is a sign of things to come. These conditions are being attributed to climate change after all.

Well if you wanna measure it in dollar amounts, not that they have any way of determining that right now, sure you can say it's probably going to be one of the most damaging hurricanes in history next to Katrina.

But you have to take into account the area that it covers. Of course there's going to be alot of costs involved in that. But that doesn't equal real damage. The damage I'm talking about is people being killed, and damage to infrastructure and buildings. And bottom line is right now, for a hurricane this size, there's really not that much damage being done.

Posted Image

#90 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,260 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

Again you missed my point. You said no wind damage and there was. The end.

God, why do people like you focus on one little thing and try create a giant argument out of it.

I said the damage won't be done from the winds, it will be done from the flooding. Meaning that that's where the majority of the damage will come from. And that's the truth. Why do you have to try and argue about it?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.