#92 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

POPULAR

in New York its a hurricane, in Vancouver just a typical fall storm, we dont flood here cause its not flat

yeah, that's right, stupid eastern seaboard being flat and sh!t

we got all these hills in Richmond

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#93 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,027 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

Well if you wanna measure it in dollar amounts, not that they have any way of determining that right now, sure you can say it's probably going to be one of the most damaging hurricanes in history next to Katrina.

But you have to take into account the area that it covers. Of course there's going to be alot of costs involved in that. But that doesn't equal real damage. The damage I'm talking about is people being killed, and damage to infrastructure and buildings. And bottom line is right now, for a hurricane this size, there's really not that much damage being done.

There's going to be damage to infrastructure and buildings. Somebody posted a video of a facility exploding. Crane broken by wind. Backup generator failure at a New York hospital. That's pretty hefty damage in my book. Those probably aren't the only notches in the belt. It'll add up and get detailed as the days go along.

Once again, the whole concern is about the area it covers. This is going to be happening across a huge part of the U.S. and Canada. It might not be super strong, but it's still pretty damn strong. And it's weird, and it's affecting a ton of people. Dollar amounts are an indicator of damage, and yes it's going to be a high amount because of the large area. But $55 billion+ is a high amount.

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 29 October 2012 - 10:20 PM.

Posted Image

#94 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

ambulances lined up at NYU Hospital.

Posted Image

They had to carry the patients down 9 flights of stairs. :shock:

Edited by Squirrels.Gone.Wild, 29 October 2012 - 10:26 PM.

#95 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

God, why do people like you focus on one little thing and try create a giant argument out of it.

I said the damage won't be done from the winds, it will be done from the flooding. Meaning that that's where the majority of the damage will come from. And that's the truth. Why do you have to try and argue about it?

Every comment you have made is constant down play. It's worse than CNN and any news outlet blowing it up. Lets be intelligent enough to understand any news agency wants to make their coverage exciting. So take whatever you see lightly like I do.

You said the damage won't be done from winds. Not 'the majority won't come from winds'. Now you're just back tracking on your original statement which was wrong - again - no offence. Just all I see so far is plenty of wind damage and deaths. Your posts constantly downplaying and then stating no wind damage. Hence my responce.

Also it would be wise to reserve judgement until the storm has passed.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#96 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,379 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:37 PM

There's going to be damage to infrastructure and buildings. Somebody posted a video of a facility exploding. Crane broken by wind. Backup generator failure at a New York hospital. That's pretty hefty damage in my book. Those probably aren't the only notches in the belt. It'll add up and get detailed as the days go along.

Once again, the whole concern is about the area it covers. This is going to be happening across a huge part of the U.S. and Canada. It might not be super strong, but it's still pretty damn strong. And it's weird, and it's affecting a ton of people. Dollar amounts are an indicator of damage, and yes it's going to be a high amount because of the large area. But $55 billion+ is a high amount.

Well if those are the worst things that happen during this storm, I would think everyone will be pretty thankful there. Cause those are all things that are pretty easily fixed.

The thing about it being spread out over such a large area, is that the costs will be spread out over quite a few states.

If you wanna go back to why people in Florida would be shaking there heads. It's because they've faced hurricanes like hurricane Andrew, and hurricane Charley. You said that a larger storm like this will cause more damage and last longer. But hurricane Andrew had wind speeds twice the amount of Sandy, caused 65 fatalities, and wound up costing over 40 billion dollars if you convert it to 2012 dollars. And that's one state taking the brunt of that.

I'm not saying this is not going to be one of the top storms, dollar cost wise. But as far as real damage goes, a category 4 hurricane like Andrew did alot more damage. Alot of the damage being done here, is going to be intensified by the high tides and the flooding.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#97 kurtis

kurtis

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:37 PM

Making those little waves can't be good for those houses!

Edited by kurtis, 29 October 2012 - 10:40 PM.

Posted Image

#98 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,379 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

Every comment you have made is constant down play. It's worse than CNN and any news outlet blowing it up. Lets be intelligent enough to understand any news agency wants to make their coverage exciting. So take whatever you see lightly like I do.

You said the damage won't be done from winds. Not 'the majority won't come from winds'. Now you're just back tracking on your original statement which was wrong - again - no offence. Just all I see so far is plenty of wind damage and deaths. Your posts constantly downplaying and then stating no wind damage. Hence my responce.

Also it would be wise to reserve judgement until the storm has passed.

I'm not trying to downplay anything. I'm being realistic to the situation and providing some opposition to the hype machine that is CNN. You're just using it as an opportunity to try and argue with someone. And you seem to be giving yourself pluses along the way...

And I didn't say no damage would be done from wind. Find a single quote where I said that. I said the damage won't be done from the wind, it will be done from flooding. It's not my fault you don't understand that that implies that the focus of the damage will be from flooding. And so far in the scope of the damage, the wind has done very little considering a wind storm of this size.

Posted Image

#99 please recycle

please recycle

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

in New York its a hurricane, in Vancouver just a typical fall storm, we dont flood here cause its not flat

N...no that's not true at all. We don't get hurricances on the west coast because of how much colder the pacific is than similar latitudes of the atlantic.
Posted Image

#100 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

Damage is being, and has been, done .. terrible that the richest country on earth is helpless .. infrastructure is the key .. it means investing in your own "home" .. all else is just fluff .. IMO ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#101 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,379 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

Damage is being, and has been, done .. terrible that the richest country on earth is helpless .. infrastructure is the key .. it means investing in your own "home" .. all else is just fluff .. IMO ..

We're all at mother nature's mercy when she decides to wreak havoc. She doesn't care if you're rich or poor.

But I agree that in alot of these cases infrastructure is the problem. Whether it's levees breaking, or flood walls and sewer pumps not being up to standard. Alot of this could have been avoided. But no one ever plans for unlikely events like this unfortunately.

Edited by DeNiro, 29 October 2012 - 11:27 PM.

Posted Image

#102 Charlie.the.Unicorn

Charlie.the.Unicorn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

They should have totally built a giant bubble to cover the NE seaboard. Idiots.

#103 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:33 PM

In your world, you can float above the other unicorns and be snide ..

In THIS world, people are dying needlessly because the "Constitution" allows irresponsible parties to play it "safe" .. and the US of A wonders why "their" version of "Democracy" is not "selling"? .. go figure!!

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#104 Charlie.the.Unicorn

Charlie.the.Unicorn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

In your world, you can float above the other unicorns and be snide ..

In THIS world, people are dying needlessly because the "Constitution" allows irresponsible parties to play it "safe" .. and the US of A wonders why "their" version of "Democracy" is not "selling"? .. go figure!!

What the hell are you talking about? Were you whacked upside the head by a flying branch?

#105 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,573 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

There was a guy, down in New Jersey, who said that the age of 53 years old he was in good enough physical condition to withstand the wind, rain, and hail of a hurricane.

Now, lemme explain somethin' to ya: It isn't that the wind is blowin'. It's what the wind is blowin'.

If you get hit by a Volvo, it don't matter how many sit-ups you did that mornin'.

- Ron White
*I may have changed it a little*

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 29 October 2012 - 11:53 PM.

2qnqykg.jpg

#106 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,477 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:08 AM

I've decided that too many people out there like to make fake pictures of natural disasters. What, the real natural disaster happening at the moment not 'hollywood' enough for you?
Posted Image

#107 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,379 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:09 AM

15 homes on fire in Queens, 170 firefighters being called to the scene.

No injuries reported.

Posted Image

#108 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,379 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

The initial storm surge is about 95-98% done according to MSBN. Meaning the majority of damage from the winds are done.

Now the risk is obviously flooding and fires.

Posted Image

#109 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,733 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

"God" is sending a message .. elect Romney!! .. HE will dismantle FEMA .. great thinking, Mitt ..

So much for being nonpolitical...

#110 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:22 AM

De Niro's done his reputation a lot of favours in this thread :rolleyes:

#111 Wh!stler R!der

Wh!stler R!der

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:42 AM

Chaaaaarlie Chaaaaarlie we are on a bridge to go to Candy mountain CANDY MOUNTAIN!
This city deserves a championship. This is the best era in Canucks history, keep bleeding blue n green always!
Win it for Ripper, Luc and Demo.

#112 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,048 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:14 AM

De Niro's done his reputation a lot of favours in this thread :rolleyes:

I don't see what's wrong with his input in this thread.

It's not the worst thing that's ever happened. Katrina is a lot worse but since it's localized to an area, meaning that an area is responsible for paying ALL of the bills, it's not so bad for other people? -_-
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#113 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,243 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:25 AM

N...no that's not true at all. We don't get hurricances on the west coast because of how much colder the pacific is than similar latitudes of the atlantic.

We also have better drainage systems. The ten inches of rain they got is the same as 200mm. That might make some basements flood here but it's not that rare a storm event.

#114 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,243 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

40 plus years of ignoring infrastructure will do that. Bridges falling down, floods during storm. All fun stuff.

FYI it's estimated to bring Canada up to code would be a couple hundred billion dollars. Probably trillions in the states.

Add on some massive debt and it's some legacy the previous generations have left us eh?

#115 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

So much for being nonpolitical...

Ignore function works wonders. :)

Some heavy winds in Toronto as Sandy starts to hit us, but not much in the way of dangerous at all.

Edited by zaibatsu, 30 October 2012 - 06:58 AM.

#116 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

Lots of cabs available

Posted Image
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#117 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

Lots of cabs available

Posted Image

Ahhh that's where they all are..no wonder I can't ever grab one after a late Sat night..

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#118 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Gahh the hurricane delayed lsat results from being released :( .

Edited by AK_19, 30 October 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#119 BrEwSki

BrEwSki

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Gahh the hurricane delayed my lsat results from being released :( .

Millions of people losing homes, loved ones, pets, ect and you're worried about Isat results. My heart weeps for you.
Posted Image

"But I love it all, hunting deer, shooting geese, birds, anything”
Mason Raymond

#120 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,573 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

Millions of people losing homes, loved ones, pets, ect and you're worried about Isat results. My heart weeps for you.

Welcome to the "Its all about me" generation

2qnqykg.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.