38 replies to this topic

#1 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,302 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Oh no, he's going to feel some pain... GOOD!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

COLUMBUS, Ohio — A condemned killer fighting his execution because of his extreme weight does not have accessible veins in his arms or hands and could not receive a lethal injection in his legs because he is so obese, a doctor said in a court filing.

Death row inmate Ronald Post wants a federal judge to stop his January execution on the grounds his weight could cause him to suffer severe pain during the procedure. The state opposes the request.

Ohio attorneys had criticized an earlier filing by Post based on an analysis by a doctor who didn’t examine him.

Thursday’s filing sought to counter that opposition by presenting the affidavit of a doctor who extensively examined Post and interviewed him about his medical history.

It is "highly unlikely" that an IV could be placed in Post’s legs and "extremely unlikely" that veins could be found in his hands, Ohio State medical centre anesthesiologist Sergio Bergese said in affidavit dated Oct. 31 and filed Thursday.

Post also has scars on his left and right forearms from a suicide attempt that make his veins inaccessible for an IV, Bergese said. Post weighs more than 400 pounds (182 kilograms), the doctor said.

He said Post reported he has provided some blood samples in the past only after great difficulty. Bergese said providing blood samples is no guarantee that an IV could be inserted.

Post, 53, is scheduled to die Jan. 16 for the 1983 shooting death of Helen Vantz in Elyria.
Vantz’s son, Bill Vantz, has called Post’s arguments "laughable."

Post argues his weight, vein access, scar tissue, depression and other medical problems raise the likelihood his executioners would encounter severe problems.

Post’s attorneys also want more time to pursue arguments that claims of a full confession by the inmate to several people have been falsely exaggerated.

Post has tried losing weight, but knee and back problems have made it difficult to exercise, according to his court filing.

Post’s request for gastric bypass surgery has been denied, he has been encouraged not to walk because he’s at risk for falling, and severe depression has contributed to his inability to limit how much he eats, his filing said.

© Copyright © The Province

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 09 November 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#2 TheAntar

TheAntar

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

I guess you could stop feeding him 12k cals every day and find a vein in a few months.

Or let him eat unlimited food and he may die before jan?

Or c) glad it hurt. Die already.

#3 aeromotacanucks

aeromotacanucks

Real Person

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

well. you can always kill by shooting right? is that legal in USA?
Shup up and fly! you´re not payed to think, you´re payed to fly!

#4 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,832 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

Reminds me of a wacko in washington state.

Guy walked into a bank to rob it, ends up shooting a teller. When he got tried, apparently somewhere in the state law it said he could pick his method of execution. He chose hanging (didn't know that was still done now-a-days) but while he waited on death row, ate as much as he could and ended up weighing over 300lbs. By the time his execution was scheduled, it was determined that if they hung him, his head would pop off

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#5 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,715 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

Reminds me of a wacko in washington state.

Guy walked into a bank to rob it, ends up shooting a teller. When he got tried, apparently somewhere in the state law it said he could pick his method of execution. He chose hanging (didn't know that was still done now-a-days) but while he waited on death row, ate as much as he could and ended up weighing over 300lbs. By the time his execution was scheduled, it was determined that if they hung him, his head would pop off

That is an option .. :rolleyes:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#6 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,710 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

Just keep feeding him lard and McDonalds. Heart attack/cardiac arrest would kill him in no time - plus, it's probably cheaper than the chemicals needed for the IV.

Edited by Common sense, 09 November 2012 - 06:37 PM.

#7 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Why the hell don't they just shoot him up with a lethal dose of LSD

#8 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

well. you can always kill by shooting right? is that legal in USA?

I think there's 2 states that allow death by firing squad, yes. I don't rightly know which ones they are off the top of my head.

Ignoring the bleeding heart 'no one should suffer' bull, it's proven that the science of killing someone via lethal injection is so imperfect that many - as many as 40% - of inmates killed are basically in a waking terror paralysis during their final moments anyways. I'd beg for the firing squad if I was ever in this position. I once heard the possibility for error involved with killing someone via lethal injection as 'so poor that it doesn't meet standards used to put down animals'

Edited by coleman26, 09 November 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#9 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

Just checked, Idaho and Oklahoma allow it as a fallback to Lethal Injections, but no state currently allows either death by firing squad or the Coup-De-Grace as the sole or even a requestable option for method of execution. It seems the only way they'll allow it is on these grounds, where Lethal Injection proves illogical or impossible.

Edited by coleman26, 09 November 2012 - 07:03 PM.

#10 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Well statistically speaking, he will probably die from complications due to his obesity before he ever gets the needle.
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#11 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

I would much prefer to be shot, seems less lame and quicker.

#12 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Take him out back and show his brains the pavement. Enough of formalities and spending big bucks to execute these scumbags.
Posted Image

#13 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Given the option, if I were on death row, I'd just ask that I be given a key to a strongbox with a gun inside it. Just lead me to a backroom, have 30 guards waiting outside the door, and put a strongbox in the room with a gun with a single bullet in it. Outside of the fact that lethal injection sounds horrifying, I would also strongly prefer a coup de grace to hanging or electrocution. It seems like both the most humane and most studly way to go out.

As far as the cost, studies suggest that it costs 9x more to keep a prisoner on death row, since people who are condemned to die get, like, all the appeals they want, pretty much. It's a lot cheaper to leave someone in a 2 per cell general population forever than it is to go through the process to absolutely ensure that they're guilty.

#14 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

Given the option, if I were on death row, I'd just ask that I be given a key to a strongbox with a gun inside it. Just lead me to a backroom, have 30 guards waiting outside the door, and put a strongbox in the room with a gun with a single bullet in it. Outside of the fact that lethal injection sounds horrifying, I would also strongly prefer a coup de grace to hanging or electrocution. It seems like both the most humane and most studly way to go out.

As far as the cost, studies suggest that it costs 9x more to keep a prisoner on death row, since people who are condemned to die get, like, all the appeals they want, pretty much. It's a lot cheaper to leave someone in a 2 per cell general population forever than it is to go through the process to absolutely ensure that they're guilty.

That's pretty selfish..just think of the poor bastard who's going to have to clean that mess up...

#15 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

If I'm on death row, I'd propose that whether or not I'm selfish would be the least of my concerns lol, but fine. I'd acquiesce to having some sort of leather bag over my head, so the overwhelming majority of it doesn't have to be cleaned. Maybe make the room like a cattle killing floor, so people can just spray it down and be done with it. I'm not trying to make things hard for other people, I'd just like an alternative to lethal injections :)

#16 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

Is rolling him down a cliff an option?

#17 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Don't care that he may feel some pain. He did not care that his Victim felt any or the lifetime of pain her family has gone through.

He has made his bed and he will sleep on it.
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#18 canuckster19

canuckster19

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

1983? Jesus H... I was barely walking back then.
Posted Image
Trekkie Monster says: GO CANUCKS GO!

Please read the Board Rules

#19 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,405 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

Really? I was sexually active for ten years already. Hey, maybe I'm your daddy.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#20 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

Really? I was sexually active for ten years already. Hey, maybe I'm your daddy.

Awesome. One of the few joys I'm taking in getting older is reminding lippy teens that, statistically speaking, I probably got to 2nd with their mom.

#21 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,803 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

Throw him off of a building or out of a plane.

#22 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

Bring in the firing squad...

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#23 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

Hang him.
Hilarity would ensue.
Posted Image

#24 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,803 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

Hang him.
Hilarity would ensue.

It would be like in cartoons when the entire tree would bend forward and uproot.

#25 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,715 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:43 AM

"Life Is a Carnival" .. a great song by the Band .. death? .. not so much, but somehow it takes on a "carnivalist" ambiance when it is not us who have to carry out the "sentence"

Sleep well, y'all ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#26 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,664 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:59 AM

Just feed him Mcdonalds every meal for every day, that outta do the trick.

#27 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:02 AM

It would be like in cartoons when the entire tree would bend forward and uproot.

Why not use a crane and half inch thick cables? As long as it looped, it'd create the same vertebrae shattering back-of-the-neck impact that rope and a hangman's noose would from a gallows. Huh? Are we on board? Let's hang fattie from a crane?

#28 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

Just keep feeding him lard and McDonalds. Heart attack/cardiac arrest would kill him in no time - plus, it's probably cheaper than the chemicals needed for the IV.

I'd go the other direction.

Anyone who's gotten that fat has done so by eating all the wrong kinds of things. I'd put him on a diet of celery, spinach and tofu until he's lost enough weight to take the needle. Noting to drink but water and the occasional V8. (on special occasions)

It has the added bonus of inflicting some extra months of real punishment before the end game.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#29 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

Just shoot him in the head
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#30 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

How come you cant hang a fat guy? Is it a neck problem or would he be decapitated?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.