45 replies to this topic

#31 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

I'd say blame yourself rather than your degree if you can't get a job. If you can't convince an employer that you've developed the skills necessary to be successful in the position then you don't deserve to be hired. The only exception would be for technical jobs (e.g. engineers, doctors, etc.) that require specific content knowledge prior to employment.

In any given year at UBC and SFU combined, there are probably 5-10,000 new grads with English, Poli Sci, History, Art History (and the like) degrees, competing for maybe a few hundred relevant jobs (if they don't want to go back to school). The supply simply far exceeds the demand with these degrees that teach you no specific skills other than the "writing and critical thought" cop-outs that Wetcoaster mentioned.

#32 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Oh there are quite a number of useless ones, particularly the kind that both cost taxpayers and are hardly, if at all, useful for job related skills. Most degrees, in fact, that don't require extensively broad knowledge (and of course are paid for by my taxes), should be slimmed down only to specific courses directly related to the target major, rather than the waste that encompasses far too much of undergrad years.

You ascribe to the "technician" school of thought on education. I go with the idea that education in and of itself is good thing, no matter what the area.

Many of mine classmates in law school had no intention of actually practising law but the education was more than worthwhile as it taught them to think and reason logically - something that I had already had as part of my first undergrad degree.

What degree or degrees do you possess?

Edited by Wetcoaster, 16 November 2012 - 03:21 PM.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#33 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

DP

Edited by Wetcoaster, 16 November 2012 - 03:20 PM.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#34 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

You ascribe to the "technician" school of thought on education. I go with the idea that education in and of itself is good thing, no matter what the area.

Many of mine classmates in law school had no intention of actually practising law but the education was more than worthwhile as it taught them to think and reason logically - something that I had already had as part of my first undergrad degree.

Don't give the technician school folk a tough time, someone needs to come over and fix your hot water tank eventually :)

By the way learn how to spell SHIRIKOV who is this shirakov

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

#35 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Don't give the technician school folk a tough time, someone needs to come over and fix your hot water tank eventually :)

Unfortunately the last few plumbers I have used have provided less than quality work.

Kind of reminds me of computer consultants... I decided to become self-taught in that area once i realized that I knew very little and the consultants that I was hiring seemingly knew even less. I got tired of warring consultants - on one side "It's a hardware problem" and on the other "It's a software problem" - I did not care i just wanted the problem fixed.

#36 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

In theory, sure. But when it costs $30,000... I at least want the prospect of a good job at the other end so as to avoid a lifetime of debt.

#37 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

In theory, sure. But when it costs $30,000... I at least want the prospect of a good job at the other end so as to avoid a lifetime of debt.

You are avoiding this question:

#38 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

You are avoiding this question:

Huh? I answered that on page 1...

#39 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

See 2nd paragraph: http://forum.canucks.../#entry10981389

#40 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Wet, what would you recommend as a Major (or even just some breadth courses outside of a Major) in which the knowledge gained from it would be of the most use in Law School?
I know Criminology is a good place to start (to gain some knowledge applicable to Criminal Law), and that writing intensive courses will also prove useful, but outside of that I haven't really found any courses that I thought would be overly useful in that regard.
Did you find that the Poli-Sci courses really helped that much?
Posted Image

#41 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

What's worse he considers "engineer" to be a "good job". I liken it more to a disease that should only really be suggested as pennance to control freak math geeks.

Grade= (elevation one - elevation two)/distance

Now go perform that calution one million times! Bwa ha ha! Master the parking lot you are!

I guess getting a degree that landed me a high paying job right out of University was the wrong way to go? But what do I know, Im just a "control freak math geek" . 2 years out of Uni I had paid off all of my student loans. 2 years.

Id be maybe pissed or insulted if your post had shown even the slightest understanding of what goes into any applied sciences or engineering degree.

Posted Image

#42 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

BA Business Admin & Economics mcl
MBA

I ascribe to a "if a person is going to spend their own money let them waste time on useless courses" school of thought, which includes my degrees as well. I'd rather have shaved 1.5 years off my schooling on boring touchy feely liberal arts courses (which were great for my GPA, but still a waste of time) and used that productively toward monetary or other investments with that time, I'm sure plenty of others agree, and those who want to spend exaggerated amounts of time in college learning about their feelings or being inundated with excessively liberalised behaviour modifying proselytisation shouldn't have any problem whatsoever using their own funds to finance it.

Anyhow, I could sit here on a very long tangent about the school system but it's unrelated to advice OP is looking for.
How do you embarrass a crackhead wearing a viking helmet?

How do you roast charcoal? -- Jeff Ross

#43 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,683 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

I guess getting a degree that landed me a high paying job right out of University was the wrong way to go? But what do I know, Im just a "control freak math geek" . 2 years out of Uni I had paid off all of my student loans. 2 years.

Id be maybe pissed or insulted if your post had shown even the slightest understanding of what goes into any applied sciences or engineering degree.

Hey, I included the formula for calculating grade. I thought "water (or **** depending on the situation) flows downhill" was a given that didn't need to be included.

#44 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,683 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

Yup you basically nailed it. Pre-built parking lots just fall out of the sky and it's the engineer's job to make sure that the ramps all comply with the building code. (I take it you don't know too many engineers?)

Ramps? That's a parkade not a parking lot.

Oh, and FYI, what actually happens is that they (the contractors) just ignore the elevations (the things being calculated through that very difficult formula) and do whatever they want and if you wanted to check the building code you would have to hire your own survey crew at your own expense to see if the final grades complied. Then you get to pay to be a control freak running numbers!

#45 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,683 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

BA Business Admin & Economics mcl
MBA

I ascribe to a "if a person is going to spend their own money let them waste time on useless courses" school of thought, which includes my degrees as well. I'd rather have shaved 1.5 years off my schooling on boring touchy feely liberal arts courses (which were great for my GPA, but still a waste of time) and used that productively toward monetary or other investments with that time, I'm sure plenty of others agree, and those who want to spend exaggerated amounts of time in college learning about their feelings or being inundated with excessively liberalised behaviour modifying proselytisation shouldn't have any problem whatsoever using their own funds to finance it.

Anyhow, I could sit here on a very long tangent about the school system but it's unrelated to advice OP is looking for.

Really?

I think learning how to deal with such people is a real skill.

Willing to bet you could have learned everything you do at work on the job.

I always thought the value of a degree was that it was proof that you could learn things.

#46 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

Really?

I think learning how to deal with such people is a real skill.

Willing to bet you could have learned everything you do at work on the job.

I always thought the value of a degree was that it was proof that you could learn things.

A simple test and exam like those done with temp agencies can determine if you have the brain capacity to learn. To reiterate, the value of a degree is the intangible (and invaluable) quality of being able to finish what you start. That cannot be taught, and that is a quality places that hire for decent jobs look for.

Certainly dealing with people like that is a plus as far as business skills are concerned, but not something one should need to face as far as academics are concerned. The negativity (as in, attitude, not bad grades) I received when doing research papers that did not fit the world view of several professors was simply ridiculous.

Edited by zaibatsu, 19 November 2012 - 10:09 AM.

How do you embarrass a crackhead wearing a viking helmet?

How do you roast charcoal? -- Jeff Ross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.