The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

canuks havent learnt lesson from losing to bruins and kings

i disagree we need a scary 4th line that can play hit and fight like jim sandlak back in the day. Teams have learnt that you can walk all over our star players hack slash hit punch anything and theres no repercussions. id have rather wasted 2.3 mill cap space on signing george parros and matt martin than resigning raymond we need to scare other teams with hits and physicality. Our defense in last yrs playoffs played cute and didnt take the man in front of the net and guess what we almost were swept. Until this changes canucks will never win a cup ever.

shut it hansen you dont know crap any team that drafts players like patrick white and jason herter is gonna fail. Gillis is doing better but we definately dont have the best draft scout in the league. Detroit used to, nashvile is amazing at developing stud dmen ryan ellis is next in line for them. ya last year hockey hews ranked our prospects 28 out of 30 teams really solid.

https://www.facebook..._count=1&ref=nf

Hodgson - MG flipped him for Kassian

Grabner - arguably Gillis's worst trade as Vancouver's GM

Jensen - Will more than likely be on the team if not this year then next year

Tanev - Undrafted free agent. Looks like he will be a very solid D man

Connauton - Will be on the team next year

Schroeder - Would've been on the team if there wasn't a lockout

Lack - Unless the Canucks sign Dan Ellis, Eddie will back up Schneider once Luongo is traded

jhansen your missing the point our drafting sucks lets look at the last 24 yrs

08' 10th hodgson good pick except drama.

09' 22nd schroeder decent except for him being smurf size.

10' 115th overal mcnally probably a bust.

11' 29th jensen nice pick corrado steal at 150th

12' 26th gaunce to early to tell

pretty bad record if u ask me .

lol Kassian is nowhere near where Hodgson will be. Sure we have a power forward and I'm hoping for the best in Kassian but when we were rolling in January and February, that trade was a shocker. What happened in the playoffs? Kassian and Gragnani was scratched. Had little to no effect for us.

King of ES. This is why his posts should never be referred to as a "great post". I wish i could argue 4 different sides of the same argument... and get everyone to agree with me. If you want me to take you on in an argument please just leave me a message on this thread, and I will gladly break down everything you said right there. I appreciate how your posts are neater and more organized than CanukTravella's, but I don't agree with your opinion. I spent enough time on this post however when I should be studying for my English final, so if you want leave me a message and i'll have a retort for you for all your arguments no later than Saturday Night. Cheers.

I really think MG's done well to adjust his team so it would have more of the gritty, physical guys with skill necessary to get it done in the playoffs and muck out wins (Burr, the whole second line, Hansen and Lapierre, Weise, KASSIAN should factor pretty significantly in the near future and hopefully Gaunce, Mallet, Jensen etc. will be able to join in up front soon) instead of PURELY skilled guys (e.g. Hodgson), though it's still necessary to still have someone who can get it done by themselves just by pure talent.

I think that lately with the way that championship teams are built lately (big, physical wingers flanking centers who are also gritty but talented play makers as well in the Top 6, hulking checking forwards who can also score in the bottom six) Vancouver's done well to adjust to that mold with more size (picked up Garrison for oft-injured Salo, Booth can also drive the net hard, Kassian came for Cody). It should be more the matter of the team actually delivering offensively than anything else, since during both the Boston and L.A. series they were out-muscled and ran into a hot goalie (and to address the OP, lack of heart in protecting the stars and no tough shutdown D-man). I think in terms of being out-muscled they somewhat addressed that and it's always been more about TEAM toughness than having a singular goon get back at people. It was also bad luck that they ran into Quick and Thomas who both caught fire behind tough defenses.

I don't think that it would've helped to protect the stars, since guys like Marchand and Lucic will still run guys even if you have your goon out. What I think really needs to be addressed is to find guys with the killer instinct to get it done and step it up another level when it matters, someone like Adam Henrique or beast-mode Kes when the team gets shut down. As for the tough solid shutdown D-man I think the mobile group with size assembled here should do just fine though I'd agree that I'd want to see a tougher guy paired with Ballard; Tanev's safe but doesn't have the size to slow down the other team's giants when they come over the line. Someone like a Matt Greene, who plays the game safe and offers size could really complement Ballard on the back end for getting stops when it matters (no to McIlrath though :P)

I really think MG's done well to adjust his team so it would have more of the gritty, physical guys with skill necessary to get it done in the playoffs and muck out wins (Burr, the whole second line, Hansen and Lapierre, Weise, KASSIAN should factor pretty significantly in the near future and hopefully Gaunce, Mallet, Jensen etc. will be able to join in up front soon) instead of PURELY skilled guys (e.g. Hodgson), though it's still necessary to still have someone who can get it done by themselves just by pure talent.

I think that lately with the way that championship teams are built lately (big, physical wingers flanking centers who are also gritty but talented play makers as well in the Top 6, hulking checking forwards who can also score in the bottom six) Vancouver's done well to adjust to that mold with more size (picked up Garrison for oft-injured Salo, Booth can also drive the net hard, Kassian came for Cody). It should be more the matter of the team actually delivering offensively than anything else, since during both the Boston and L.A. series they were out-muscled and ran into a hot goalie (and to address the OP, lack of heart in protecting the stars and no tough shutdown D-man). I think in terms of being out-muscled they somewhat addressed that and it's always been more about TEAM toughness than having a singular goon get back at people. It was also bad luck that they ran into Quick and Thomas who both caught fire behind tough defenses.

I don't think that it would've helped to protect the stars, since guys like Marchand and Lucic will still run guys even if you have your goon out. What I think really needs to be addressed is to find guys with the killer instinct to get it done and step it up another level when it matters, someone like Adam Henrique or beast-mode Kes when the team gets shut down. As for the tough solid shutdown D-man I think the mobile group with size assembled here should do just fine though I'd agree that I'd want to see a tougher guy paired with Ballard; Tanev's safe but doesn't have the size to slow down the other team's giants when they come over the line. Someone like a Matt Greene, who plays the game safe and offers size could really complement Ballard on the back end for getting stops when it matters (no to McIlrath though :P)

Archived